2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
DB
June 2, 2021, 5:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,974
Gold Stars: 386
Following a request on the Beer thread, a thread about wines. On this subject, I'm definitely red, preferably French South West area,  Bordeaux, St Emilion, etc. That said I also like Rioja and Cote du Rhonenad even Mateus Rose from Portugal which seems to be out of favour now.

Apart from taste one of my main reasons for red wine is the health benefits that are made for it, over white wine. I am not in any way a wine expert of any kind being brought up on homemade 'country wine' by my nan, bless her. You name it she made it and it all tasted good.

Today £10 per bottle is my high price mainly because of the tax's. About £2.33 per bottle wine tax and 20% vat; so for my £10 I'm getting a £6 ish bottle of wine. Anything less than a fiver and you have to wonder what's in the bottle unless it's wholesale price has been dropped significantly.

That said the most common bottle of wine I buy is Tesco Les Tuguets Madiran at £7 - £6 per bottle. When I did some research into life longevity and wine areas this was one of the top areas for wine at a reasonable price.

So what's your favourite tipple from the vineyard?

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
KingstonMariner
June 2, 2021, 2:01pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Not really a wine buff but I prefer reds to whites because I’m a tight illegitimate. Only buy from supermarkets. Like Rioja, Brouilly, Fleurie, Ribeiro del Duero, Burgundies, all sorts really. Good with food or just drinking on their own. Partial to a good Macon and a nice sharp Muscadet with seafood but cannot drink much without food. Used to like Sancerre and Pouilly-Fumé until the prices went silly.

Often limited in what I drink because the missus gets an allergic reaction to many reds and doesn’t like white wine. So I miss Cab Sauvignons. Her tipple of choice is Valpolicella but again prices are mental - occasionally Aldi/Lidl have it discounted to £8 a bottle.

One thing I used to love is an Aussie red Tarrango. Spicy. Cannot seem to find it in supermarkets now.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 10
ginnywings
June 2, 2021, 10:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Toro Loco from Aldi. Much better than the price suggests.

Think it's a Temperanillo but not sure. Not a wine connoisseur.

Don't drink much wine as it floors me nowadays, especially red.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
grimsby pete
June 2, 2021, 10:33pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Always liked a cote du rhone , Cohors Merlot and many others while holidaying in France.

Don't drink much at all now sadly.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 10
pizzzza
June 3, 2021, 9:03am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
I must say, I do not drink so much nowadays. I try to limit myself to a nightly bottle of good claret, a 1971 Château Cos d'Estournel or something like that.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 10
Yossarian
June 3, 2021, 11:03am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,074
Gold Stars: 18
I'm a total wine nerd.  I worked in  France where I started to get introduced to it (Rhone and Bordeaux mainly).

It was when I met my wife to be that things really ramped up.  She is French and her father has an enormous wine cellar - all mainly Bordeaux.  Really amazing stuff with 20,30,40 years age on it.  Drinking a 1982 Haut Brion is probably one of my wine highlights!  Really opened my eyes.

After that it just exploded my interest.

Now Burgundy is my main wine love, with drink across all regions where the wines are well made, elegant.  Loire, Rhone, Bordeaux, Piedmont are the main regions.

Beaujolais - some really amazing wines from there for decent money.

Burgundy is becoming prohibitably expensive, so I'm looking at more modest wines from there than previously (no more Grand Cru for me!)

I buy only from wine merchants - the stuff in the supermarkets (while getting better) is not a match on well chosen stuff from a good wine merchant.

Good to see a lot of love for South-West France (Madiran, Cahors etc).  There are some beautifil wines made in those regions.

I have a wine cellar in France so it is easy (and quite cheap) to buy direct from the producers and stick them in the cellar for 5-10 years.

Jeez - I need to earn more money!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 10
Connecticut Mariner
June 3, 2021, 5:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.21
Approval: +721
Gold Stars: 7
We are red wine drinkers (a bottle of red is standard with dinner) along with the occasional sparkling or rose.

Most wine is from the West Coast (California, Oregon and Washington) although we also buy French (a few aged/aging Bordeaux in the wine cooler), Italian, Spanish and Portuguese (great value) along with a few from South Africa, Australia and South America (including a nice Tannat from Uruguay).

I buy a lot off the internet and there were some great offers from US wineries over the last year as they looked to offload wine they normally sell to restaurants. So much so that we are now overstocked and currently in a SWMBOWBM...........

She who must be obeyed wine buying moratorium!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 10
Yossarian
June 3, 2021, 6:52pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Approval: +1,074
Gold Stars: 18
In terms of fantastic quality - South Africa is making some superb wines at the moment.  15 years ago I would say they were pretty mid-level Bordeaux blends but now there are incredible Pinot Noir, Syrah, Chenin amongst others.

In terms of wine merchants (all of whom do online and delivery), I would heartily recommend;

- The Wine Society: worth the £40 joining fee - wines across all price ranges.  Superb.  
- Swig (online merchant with good quality selection
- A&B Vintners - bit more niche, but great range
- Lea & Sandeman

Got a nice Chablis 2014 Premier Cru chilling right now.  This thread put me in a thirst...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 10
Connecticut Mariner
June 3, 2021, 7:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.21
Approval: +721
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Yossarian
In terms of fantastic quality - South Africa is making some superb wines at the moment.  15 years ago I would say they were pretty mid-level Bordeaux blends but now there are incredible Pinot Noir, Syrah, Chenin amongst others.

In terms of wine merchants (all of whom do online and delivery), I would heartily recommend;

- The Wine Society: worth the £40 joining fee - wines across all price ranges.  Superb.  
- Swig (online merchant with good quality selection
- A&B Vintners - bit more niche, but great range
- Lea & Sandeman

Got a nice Chablis 2014 Premier Cru chilling right now.  This thread put me in a thirst...

Bit early for that here in the US….but I guess its 5pm somewhere 😀
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 10
aldi_01
June 3, 2021, 9:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Having spent some considerable time in Italy and Covid aside, making 3/4 trips to the footy a year I tend to drink a lot of Italian wine.

I’ve a friend that works for these chaps https://www.bernabei.co.uk/ of which I’m sure many of you have heard of so I often receive a ‘care package’ to sample.

I prefer white but have ventured in to reds recently.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 10
male private Nale
July 13, 2021, 11:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -919
Gold Stars: 136
I really like the Australian wine 19 Crimes, its a blend of grape and very smooth red and usually can be found on offer at Tesco or somewhere for circa £7.
They also do one called 19 Crimes 'uprising' which is part aged in rum barrels.

Both very easy to drink and good choice for those new to reds.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › The Vineyard

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.