Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Beers you love, or hate.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 20 Guests

Beers you love, or hate.

This thread currently has 3,424 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Withnail
May 29, 2021, 6:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from Les Brechin
My favourite beer is Wye Valley Brewery's Butty Bach.

First had it on a trip to Hereford but at the time you couldn't get it round here.

Thankfully Asda stock it now.

Butty Bach is decent Les. They have it on the hand pull in a few pubs around our way

I also like Hooky Original and Hooky Gold - used to work not far away from the brewery in Hook Norton, Oxon. Exmoor Gold is a nice drop too.

As a northerner, I think you can't go wrong with Timmy Taylor's Landlord or Boltmaker.

There was also a Maple-leaf Joseph Holt ale I used to enjoy but not seen it for yonks.

I also really enjoy Kelham Island's Pale Rider, Easy Rider and Rider on the Storm, as someone else mentioned, Ginnywings I think.

Flirted with wanky hipster craft ales and do like some of the Tiny Rebel, Brew Dog, Four Pure and New England IPAs etc... but bit overpriced in my humble opinion.

I got into Beer Hawk deliveries over lockdown - had some really tasty, crisp German lagers - Paulaner and Spaten have to be my favourites.

Now the sun's out I'm on the cid. Sheppey's is my cider of choice although I'm slumming it tonight on Weston's, which to be fair, ain't bad.

Old gag my cider loving  brother in law used to play on barstaff was: "I see the landlady Cathie has Strongbow, Thatcher's and Weston's on...but has she ever had Dickens?" Cue barstaff shouts to a colleague: "Has Cathie ever had Dickens cider?" I'll get me coat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 58
Yossarian
June 1, 2021, 10:46pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,074
Gold Stars: 18
Oooh good thread.

I'm a wine male masturbator mainly so dont touch much beer....however, (and this may be controversial)...since I've been down south....Harveys from Sussex - always superb...

But seeing the Bateman's XXXB  - I love that stuff when I go back to Lincolnshire.  Sometime I see it as a guest ale in my local in That There London and order one straight away.

As I got older I found bitters a little  bit too sweet after 1 pint.

The Punk Dog and IPA beers I find just too much.....

A nice Chablis or a Gevrey Chambertin.....hmmm

Ah - flash black - The Imperial pub - 14:45 - my dad ordering another 2 pints of ( I think) Tetleys to get him through the first half!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 58
KingstonMariner
June 1, 2021, 11:36pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
You could always start a wine thread Yoss 😆 There’s probably a lot more of us than you think. I’m definitely a low budget wine drinker though.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 58
chaos33
June 2, 2021, 11:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Had 2 pints of Ilkley Blonde in Malham last night, and have recently been enjoying a selection made by Salt Brewery in West Yorks (now in Morrison’s), and an older favourite - Timothy Taylor Knowle Spring.

Really like the Belgian Blondes too. Ice coldLeffe in a proper glass on a hot day is a treat.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 58
DB
June 11, 2021, 1:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,971
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from promotion plaice

Shepherd Neame 1698 (6.5% vol) & King Goblin (6.6% vol) are pretty good  

Thank you for your recommend and enjoyed them both with Shep Neame my preference. I also tried Butty Bach which Les recommended but I wasn't too keen.

I shall add some more to the wife's shopping list next month.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 58
Maringer
June 11, 2021, 9:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,407
Gold Stars: 184
Lidl have got their Belgian beer selection pack on sale again, apparently.

12 quid for 6 beers including 2 different Gulden Draak beers and 2 different Piraat (each 10.5% vol) plus a Bornem dubbel (7.3%) and a Bornem Tripel (9%).

All are pretty tasty (Bornem Tripel my favourite of the pack) with the strongest ones good sipping beers!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 58
male private Nale
July 13, 2021, 11:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -919
Gold Stars: 136
Timothy Taylor Landlord

Batemans XXXB

Old Peculiar or any other Theakston's ale

Black Sheep

Vedett for a pilsner

Whenever I am in Sheffield the Tap on the train station is must visit place for trying something different every time you go in.

For anyone going further a field and visiting Norwich they must drop in on the Belgian Monk, excellent selection of belgian beer, not the cheapest by any stretch however the connoisseur will not be disappointed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 58
moss_side_mariner
July 14, 2021, 1:39am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +9 / 0
Approval: +1,043
Gold Stars: 3
Life and Death from vocation brewery.
They also do some lovely barrel aged stouts but they are quite strong. 10 or 11%.

from the banks of the river humber, to the shores of sicilly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 58
cmackenzie4
July 14, 2021, 6:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
I tried Gold label and Special Brew many years ago and they were the worst tasting drinks ever, that’s when I was out drinking every weekend back in the 90’s, they were way too strong for me, does anyone on here drink them ?

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 58
DB
July 14, 2021, 6:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,971
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from cmackenzie4
I tried Gold label and Special Brew many years ago and they were the worst tasting drinks ever, that’s when I was out drinking every weekend back in the 90’s, they were way too strong for me, does anyone on here drink them ?

Haven't had a Gold Label for many decades. Use to drink Carlsberg SB a couple of decades ago, but not recently. In fact, I can't recall seeing it on the shelves for a few years. I seem to think SB got a bad press due to its high alcohol content.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Beers you love, or hate.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.