Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
From what I've read so far it brought to mind "The Prince" by Machiavelli

That was a work of fiction though.....  

It was a work of political philosophy, in the form of advice to leaders.

I could be wrong though. It’s nearly 40 years since I read it. 🙁

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 45
aldi_01
May 18, 2021, 6:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I suspect that many of the things many of us knew and spoke out about, the dodgy deals, tax evasion, lack of money going in the club, cash going the other way and so on will begin to come to light...I wonder if those who were quick to defend old honest John will still choose to ignore it or excuse it via some flimsy excuses?

We can move on, that’s great but in order to move on we have to remember the past. He more we find out, the more those ‘stories’ we had become reality the more we can change the club.

Those so quick to leap to John’s defence, where are they? What do they think? The more we hear and find out the worse it seems to get.

We shouldn’t forget the past, put it behind us yes, but never forget.

It appears our friendly despot owner was worse than we’d ever imagined...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 45
Bristol Mariner
May 18, 2021, 6:58pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from mimma
FFS let it rest will you!

The new owners have repeatedly said they are drawing a line under the last regime, it has gone, and the past cannot be changed, so it is a complete and utter waste of energy constantly bringing it up over and over and over again.

Why do you see the need to keep on depressing us all with the past going ons? We have enough on our plate as it is.

" You never go forward looking backwards"

He’s taken £200k of trust money. So no

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 45
promotion plaice
May 18, 2021, 7:04pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,026
Gold Stars: 194

Can't wait for Part Two  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 45
toontown
May 18, 2021, 7:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,262
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Bristol Mariner

He’s taken £200k of trust money. So no

Really well said.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 45
MuddyWaters
May 18, 2021, 7:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
The sad bit is that, with Fenty, nothing surprises me.

The good bit is that it’s history.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 45
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 18, 2021, 8:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,814
Gold Stars: 178
Totally agree that it’s in the past, but let’s not forget what actually happened and let it be a lesson for it not to happen again.

Some of the things mentioned, I had no idea about, and it makes you wonder what else has happened that won’t ever get mentioned. Dodgy deals, dodgy sponsors, anything else that’s happened? Have the club missed out on money  because people were taking back handers when lucrative offers were on the table? Have we missed out on players?

Whatever happens, the club has been bought much akin to ‘needing total refurbishment’ by the new owners and am sure (pray and hope) that lightening doesn’t strike twice.

I think JF is very lucky that supporters weren’t allowed into the ground for the period after Christmas. I darent imagine what could’ve happened to his £80k motor!

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 45
mirrorballman
May 18, 2021, 10:14pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +552
Gold Stars: 8
I wonder if those who are saying "it's in the past, move on" also defended Fenty for the last 19 years. I can't be arsed to check like but it's a strange attitude to take.

It's a past where only a few were brave enough to do anything meaningful like boycott the club. We all need to learn from it. Of course it's all in the past but thanks to some great research, it's now also all in one place. A useful archive and reference point for the worst owner in the club's history.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 45
chipsandgravy
May 18, 2021, 10:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,597
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from mirrorballman
I wonder if those who are saying "it's in the past, move on" also defended Fenty for the last 19 years. I can't be arsed to check like but it's a strange attitude to take.

It's a past where only a few were brave enough to do anything meaningful like boycott the club. We all need to learn from it. Of course it's all in the past but thanks to some great research, it's now also all in one place. A useful archive and reference point for the worst owner in the club's history.

Well I said its "all in the past" but in no way have I ever defended Fenty. I have decided that a potential trip to Maidenhead is enough of a reminder of his legacy. I have also decided to channel my anger into positive energy and support towards the new owners and the future. Anything else is now a waste of time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 45
RichMariner
May 18, 2021, 10:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,131
Gold Stars: 209
It's an excellent article. Incredibly well researched and written.

Don't ignore it just because 'it's the past, let's move on'. To me, reading it made me feel incredibly happy that this man is well shot of the football club.

I can understand why you might not want to read it, and that's a personal choice. But I don't think the author did it to wallow in pity, more to further expose a man who shouldn't be welcomed back to the football club or local politics.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 19 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Fenty Years: Part One

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.