Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › On another note...
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 409 Guests

On another note...

This thread currently has 4,393 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
geir
May 16, 2021, 11:54pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9

Has there ever been done some proper research into why players choose the clubs that they play for in the lower divisions? If you can play for several clubs that are making you a offer - what is the most important factors?
Personally, I would guess that wages would be high on the list and location low (if you`re not a family man - then it may come higher..) Knowledge of the manager/other players may be a factor as will to a certain degree how you perceive your career/ambition/age towards the level you want to play.
There are most certainly other factors too... I don`t know if the fans are important when choosing a club or if the club is environmental friendly or other factors that count toward a choice, but it would be interesting to know a little more about these things at this season of speculation.

Anyone know something about this for sure or able to make an educated guess?

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
promotion plaice
May 17, 2021, 12:23am

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188

I would imagine players also look at who owns the club before they sign.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
mimma
May 17, 2021, 1:40am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,544
Gold Stars: 78
I think you have answered your own question Geir. At the end of the day a player will try to get the best deal that suits him, but money will be the overriding factor.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
arryarryarry
May 17, 2021, 2:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from promotion plaice

I would imagine players also look at who owns the club before they sign.

Would they?

Considering the number of dodgy owners the past few years, I don't remember any clubs struggling to sign players.

I would have thought the two main factors would have been wage and manager followed by location of the club.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
lukeo
May 17, 2021, 6:54am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 133
In my mind I think it'd be :
1. Location
2. Wage
3. Who's already at the club
4. Clubs ambition / league position etc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 17, 2021, 7:18am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
Probably family (wife, kids etc) has a major impact on the decision

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
wiggers
May 17, 2021, 7:20am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +460
Gold Stars: 11
Wage and length of contract I would say followed by location and clubs ambitions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
Bignic69
May 17, 2021, 7:24am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +540
Gold Stars: 5
Length of contract must surely play a part, especially if the player has a wife and kids, it's the security of having an income for x amount of years.
Wage and length of contract would be the top priority methinks.
Contacts at the club in at second and location of the club third.

Back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
bradzmilne
May 17, 2021, 7:25am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,359
Gold Stars: 29
It would make a really good read if anyone did do the research! Christ... That did sound nerdy!

Had a quick look but the closest thing I could find was articles about the precarious nature of a footballers employment in the lower leagues.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
toontown
May 17, 2021, 7:33am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from bradzmilne
It would make a really good read if anyone did do the research! Christ... That did sound nerdy!

Had a quick look but the closest thing I could find was articles about the precarious nature of a footballers employment in the lower leagues.

That would back up the fact length of contract would be a bih factor though
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
HertsGTFC
May 17, 2021, 7:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from wiggers
Wage and length of contract I would say followed by location and clubs ambitions.

I’d imagine this is about right.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
Azimuth
May 17, 2021, 8:33am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 58
Offer in comparison to other clubs offers
Wage
Length of Contract
Terms of Contract

Managment
Whos at the Club
Past sucess or failures and club reputation
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 24
GollyGTFC
May 17, 2021, 9:51am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Simple...

Length of contract
Pay
Geography
Working conditions (training ground & stadium)
Reputation as a club/employer
Likelihood of success
Cost of living

Football is a small world. If players don’t have a friend at every club they definitely have a friend of a friend at every club or who been at the club they can get info from.

It is a open secret in football circles that GTFC under the previous custodians paid cr@p money & treated players like cr@p too. Which is why we end up with rejects/crocked players like Rose, Williams, Scannell etc...
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 24
Townforlife
May 17, 2021, 10:18am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 16
Perhaps the question to ask is: if you were offered the same wage and length of contract by two good managers, would you take the one that has worse facilities, less coaching and support staff, in a somewhat remote location, with a backward thinking board?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
diehardmariner
May 17, 2021, 10:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,077
Gold Stars: 518
Footballers are no different to everyone else, their brains are geared up towards survival and still fit into Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

Physiological needs and safety needs will always come first - that'll be the wage itself.   They'll want to make sure they can cover their needs.

Then comes the sense of belonging, the esteem and ultimately the self-actualisation.  

If you had to put that in terms of a footballer, I guess it would look a bit like:

- Wage
- Length of Contract
- The actual club, the atmosphere etc, the manager, the approach to the game
- What the club can offer - captaincy, leader of the dressing room
- The ability of the club to challenge at the top and how they'll develop you as a player/person.

For footballers this, as with all of us, it probably becomes more important as you get older and have families and responsibilities.  For the elite players, who've likely never had to consider the first two factors, you could argue that they largely discount these two and the self-actualisation is far more important.

You also have those players who don't actually enjoy the game, someone like Danny Rose for example.  His hierarchy is perhaps slanted upside down.  He's not alone in this either, I've seen quite a few players come out and said football was just a job so the development side is less important.

It's fair to say that in the last however many years we've just stopped dead stop at the second tier.  We've presumed that it's enough to give a wage to players and expect them to be happy with it.  
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
TownSNAFU5
May 17, 2021, 10:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Length of contract is key but not so good if say have successive relegations.  Maybe reduced terms in contract if relegated.  Relegation often means a change in manager, and maybe out of favour with a new manager.

A player should look at the turnover rate of managers.  The one signing you could be sacked.

I have heard that the Holloway Covid contract should also be avoided.  As should Holloway! 🙁
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 24
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 17, 2021, 3:25pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Years ago it would be wages, bonuses, contract and a house with a new kitchen, followed by the league level, the character and ambition of the management. In some cases the promise of a future role in the club may have mattered too.

These days there is less stability and shorter contracts. So some of that may still matter but for a young player the promise of allowing a transfer for a minimum fee may matter most, for a family, help with housing or commuting. The size of the squad influences the likelihood of first team games too.

With contracts being shorter maybe the place actually matters less than those other factors but the presentation of the club to new recruits obviously does.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 24
ska face
May 17, 2021, 3:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,337
Gold Stars: 820
Quoted from diehardmariner
Footballers are no different to everyone else, their brains are geared up towards survival and still fit into Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

Physiological needs and safety needs will always come first - that'll be the wage itself.   They'll want to make sure they can cover their needs.

Then comes the sense of belonging, the esteem and ultimately the self-actualisation.  

If you had to put that in terms of a footballer, I guess it would look a bit like:

- Wage
- Length of Contract
- The actual club, the atmosphere etc, the manager, the approach to the game
- What the club can offer - captaincy, leader of the dressing room
- The ability of the club to challenge at the top and how they'll develop you as a player/person.

For footballers this, as with all of us, it probably becomes more important as you get older and have families and responsibilities.  For the elite players, who've likely never had to consider the first two factors, you could argue that they largely discount these two and the self-actualisation is far more important.

You also have those players who don't actually enjoy the game, someone like Danny Rose for example.  His hierarchy is perhaps slanted upside down.  He's not alone in this either, I've seen quite a few players come out and said football was just a job so the development side is less important.

It's fair to say that in the last however many years we've just stopped dead stop at the second tier.  We've presumed that it's enough to give a wage to players and expect them to be happy with it.  

That reminds me -

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/SRKxfkCK/774-E8636-1096-4-B82-80-D4-01-C91-C195-D73.jpg[/img]

We need better WiFi at BP.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
DB
May 17, 2021, 3:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.55
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,880
Gold Stars: 383
Money is usually the motivating factor when it comes to who anybody wants to work, beit hourly/weekly rates. Footballers are no different. The length of the contract is also important, job security, even in the fragile world of a footballer.

Next is the location and is it commutable, especially the training ground where most of the time will be spent. Will they have to move and will their wife/partner be happy moving?

Then if all this is ok what about the training facilities and clubs ambitions. Is the manager any good and the owners, are decent to work for; and depending on age will there be a future there for me! If younger will the move help my future development and prospects?

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 24
mike_d
May 17, 2021, 4:11pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +375
Gold Stars: 4
I think in this age...

[img]https://preview.redd.it/n850voaq99h61.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=23484002062ba085be4972df175c3d51238cf04a[/img]

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
geir
May 17, 2021, 5:12pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9

Thank you for many good replies to this one.
So, if we have a "competitive" budget like the one we had in league two, but with a smaller squad, we should be able to recruit good players from at least a level above, maybe even someone from League One too if the length of contract is right?

According to your replies - if the new owners really wanted to spend money like a drunken sailor, we could recruit players in their prime from the Premier League if wages were at least a bit more than what they were earning today (and we didn`t have to pay a transfer fee...)?

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 24
ginnywings
May 17, 2021, 10:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from geir

Thank you for many good replies to this one.
So, if we have a "competitive" budget like the one we had in league two, but with a smaller squad, we should be able to recruit good players from at least a level above, maybe even someone from League One too if the length of contract is right?

According to your replies - if the new owners really wanted to spend money like a drunken sailor, we could recruit players in their prime from the Premier League if wages were at least a bit more than what they were earning today (and we didn`t have to pay a transfer fee...)?

Not a chance of that happening.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
May 17, 2021, 10:46pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +787
Gold Stars: 113
I think the one question we need answering from that is....

"What shall we do with the drunken sailors?"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
diehardmariner
May 18, 2021, 9:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,077
Gold Stars: 518
Quoted from ska face

That reminds me -

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/SRKxfkCK/774-E8636-1096-4-B82-80-D4-01-C91-C195-D73.jpg[/img]

We need better WiFi at BP.

Better WiFi?  A GPRS signal would do to be honest.  I have to connect arms with seventeen people, one of whom is wrapped around the steel roof girders of the Main Stand in tin foil, just so I can check the scores at half-time
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
Mayaman
May 18, 2021, 3:33pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,259
Gold Stars: 71
I imagine the gaffer is also a factor.  You wouldn't want to work for a helmet. That's why a lot of players follow managers around.   They like the way he works.  Of course, they won't do it if the money is crap but I am sure , they would take a cut for the right bloke.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › On another note...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.