Rick12
May 16, 2021, 11:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Les Brechin
It's just another game now though, played on the same day as league games.

Call me nostalgic but it used to be the game everyone looked forward too AFTER the season had finished.

It was an all-day thing on the TV too, with Cup Final Question of Sport, reporters at the team hotels, the bus ride to the stadium, interviews with famous fans etc etc.
I think the champions league has had a lot to do with this though. More money which clubs prioritize. For the elite clubs around Europe  its now league, champions league then their domestic cup competitions.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 41
pen penfras
May 16, 2021, 11:18am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
First time I've watched any of the Cup Final for years. Spurred on by that "anyone but the franchise six" feeling I watched the second half. Incredibly, since Wimbledon won it, there have been only 3 non big six winners up to today.

I was anti-Leicester for a few years - they signed Danny Coyne after having gone into administration, wiping off £30 million debt including the stadium - no point deductions in those days. Be churlish to still hold that against them after all this time- they've stuck two fingers up to the franchise six - fair play to them.

Tottenham aren't part of the big 6. Nobody except Tottenham think that they are. They're a mid table side that's had a few years near the top and got carried away with themselves. Leicester have far more right to count themselves in the big 6, because they've actually won something worthwhile in the last 30 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 41
ex-merseymariner
May 16, 2021, 11:24am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from pen penfras

Tottenham aren't part of the big 6. Nobody except Tottenham think that they are. They're a mid table side that's had a few years near the top and got carried away with themselves. Leicester have far more right to count themselves in the big 6, because they've actually won something worthwhile in the last 30 years.

Agree. Leicester have won more in the last 5 years than Tottenham in the last 30.  Don't think spurs won league since the 60s?

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 41
Perkins
May 16, 2021, 12:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Abdul19
The owner having to be dragged onto the pitch by Schmeichel and then clearly being loved by all the squad reminded me of 2016  

Yes, probably the most cringeworthy moment in our ex non chairmans history when he came bounding up the pitch to gatecrash the TV interview with Omar.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 41
Davec
May 16, 2021, 12:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from Perkins

Yes, probably the most cringeworthy moment in our ex non chairmans history when he came bounding up the pitch to gatecrash the TV interview with Omar.

He's quite well known for gatecrashing TV interviews, remember when Slade was being interviewed live on TV after the spurs game and he poured orange juice all over him "don't forget the orange"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 41
KingstonMariner
May 16, 2021, 12:40pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Abdul19
The owner having to be dragged onto the pitch by Schmeichel and then clearly being loved by all the squad reminded me of 2016  

Why, did Leicester’s owner get the tune wrong?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 41
Limerick Mariner
May 16, 2021, 1:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,662
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from pen penfras

Agreed, I meant the franchise six.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 41
DB
May 16, 2021, 1:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,971
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Les Brechin
It's just another game now though, played on the same day as league games.

Call me nostalgic but it used to be the game everyone looked forward too AFTER the season had finished.

It was an all-day thing on the TV too, with Cup Final Question of Sport, reporters at the team hotels, the bus ride to the stadium, interviews with famous fans etc etc.

I absolutely agree with you Les. Cup Final day was the last game of the season and regardless of the teams' supporters most of the nation watched it, a special day in the football calendar. It was a national tradition up there with the boat race, grand national, etc. The FA sold out for money and couldn't give a dam about fans.

As time goes on things change for the better, so we are told. Nostalgia is good for us old ones and I feel very sorry for those younger than us, that will never experience the euphoria of Cup Final day, 3.00 pm on a Saturday

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 41
Madeleymariner
May 16, 2021, 6:24pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,047
Gold Stars: 49
I remember the days of spending nearly all day watching the build up Q of S, Its a Knockout etc. I think the reason this slowly declined is the amount of live tv football, In the 70s and early 80s you didn't get live footy apart from internationals/european and cup finals. So if  you were a footy fan it was special watching a live domestic game. The fact other games are played on the same day is tragic though, and then the big (And even not so big) teams sometimes put out a reserve side (though many are still full internationals) in earlier rounds just adds to the loss of it being special anymore.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 41
promotion plaice
May 16, 2021, 6:33pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

In other news Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson goes up for a corner in the last minute of their game against West Brom and scores with a sublime header to keep Liverpool's Champions League hopes alive.

FT...West Brom 1-2 Liverpool.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 41
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FA Cup final

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.