Son of Cod
May 13, 2021, 12:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Don't know much about him, but would be good if Khouri follows suit:

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2021/may/goundry-pens-first-professional-contract/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 118
TownSNAFU5
May 13, 2021, 12:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,852
Gold Stars: 42
Graham Rathbone would fit in very well with the current team.   He often gave free kicks away for leaning on the backs of forwards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 118
marinerdazza
May 13, 2021, 12:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,780
Gold Stars: 81
There was a period of about 5 games in the autumn of Jolley’s first full season where Hanson and Green looked the real deal. As did Town. Hanson in particular. A shame it all went to excrement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 118
RonMariner
May 13, 2021, 1:04pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,540
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from marinerdazza
There was a period of about 5 games in the autumn of Jolley’s first full season where Hanson and Green looked the real deal. As did Town. Hanson in particular. A shame it all went to excrement.

Yes, they looked very good in the 3-1 win at Walsall. What high hopes we had after that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 118
bax
May 13, 2021, 1:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,645
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from diehardmariner

Not so sure.  We've taken up the offer on Pollock, he's made an offer to keep Hewitt and I'd be amazed if he doesn't go back in for Menayese.

That's 3 first choice centre-backs straight away and then we've got Idehen for another year too.  Fair enough Hurst may well favour a back 3 but I still don't see Waterfall fitting in his plans.  Even with a back 3, I'd see Pollock, Hewitt and Meyanese as the first choices with Idehen as the back up.  Waterfall would be a quite expensive cover player, even with any relegation clause in his contract.

There's also the fact that he's generally had a very, very poor season.  Confidence is a big consideration always but he hasn't done the basics right for so long.  No doubting that we'll need a warrior type at the back for certain games but I'd see Pollock in that role and Meyanese showed once he settled he's quite happy in that role at the back.

Of the list itself, no major surprises.  I think Hendrie can maybe consider himself lucky to be offered a deal after a quite disappointing season.  In his defence it does seem he's played the majority of the season with various injuries so hopefully with a proper pre-season and some S&C work he can come back as the player of 18 months ago.  

Can't imagine Coke will have a load of clubs lining up for him, despite his excellent form for.  Hewitt's stood out in a team that finished bottom of the pile.  There's no doubting that he's a hundred times better at centre-back, but I'm not convinced he'll have clubs lining up to sign him.  His record still shows his largely a bit part player in two sides that have been relegated from the last three seasons.  

Hurst's interview about not having to worry about freezing out the deadwood is good news to say the least.    Feel very confident knowing this and that Hurst's budget will actually be competitive (as in not just words, eh John?) plus we've offloaded some of the higher earners from the last two seasons.

I'd be amazed if Pollock is with us on the first day of next season. He's our one decent saleable asset and can comfortably play at L2 level, maybe higher in the right setup. I suspect he will be sold.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 118
acko338
May 13, 2021, 1:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,225
Gold Stars: 33
Pollock hardly featured towards the end with his operation, so won't clubs want to see if he has fully recovered before risking any bids?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 118
TwoLeftFeet
May 13, 2021, 1:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,069
Gold Stars: 18
Need a centre half with some pace to play alongside Pollock
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 118
DB
May 13, 2021, 1:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,971
Gold Stars: 386
Nice to know Kingston works for a very, very successful company and Herts family business is a billion£ plus company. Only one word to say

SPONSORSHIP   Please    ( sorry that's 2 words )

Just a thought.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 118
Maringer
May 13, 2021, 2:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,407
Gold Stars: 184
With the best will in the world, I tend to think that there won't be too many suitors for a defender of a club which finished bottom of the League with the worst goal difference in the division. We earned significantly fewer points per game when Pollock was playing than when he wasn't.

Obviously, not much fault lies at his feet, especially with his injury problems, but I think you'd struggle to say he had anything like a good season. I expect he'll do a good job in the National League, providing the rest of the team is good enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 118
sam gy
May 13, 2021, 2:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,416
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from acko338
Out of favour players will soon be fed up of travelling over here for training only, with no chance of getting games to advertise themselves, apart from very occasional reserve games which often get cancelled.

If players then invent or actually incur slight injuries, can we also insist that they travel to see Dave Moore for treatment, not languish at home?

For clarification on current contracted players, if they move out of their own volition to other clubs ( On a transfer list - free transfer out available to them), at what point do we stop paying them, and surely, there is no pay up of contract if they negotiate a sign on fee themselves to the new club?

That's the sad thing really, Williams and Rose have actually done what we as fans always like to see and moved to the area and seem to be happy here.

Perhaps with a proper pre season and a decent manager last year, they might have actually been decent for us. Rose did actually have a couple of games where he genuinely looked good (though not enough) but also looked woefully unfit and i believe was injured for the last stretch of the season according to Hurst at least.

Williams...well he looked brilliant in patches and anonymous in others, but was never given a stretch of games in a settled position at any point in the season. Was brought back from the wilderness and then subsequently disappeared again, so we can probably assume Hurst isn't a fan.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 118
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Retained List Announced

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.