12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Swansea_Mariner
May 12, 2021, 6:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Well that list is just the start isn't it. I'd expect that several of those contacted players will be moving on elsewhere in the next couple of months and most won't be sorry to see them go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 118
arryarryarry
May 12, 2021, 6:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner
Would expect Rose, Scannell, Gibson, Williams and Morais to go by either mutual termination or free to join another club.

That players under contract section is a haunting reminder at how bad Holloway's recruitment was and how many stupidly lengthy contracts were seemingly and blindly dished out where most managers would have demanded a trial for a few weeks at the very least

Slightly sad to see Habergham and Lamy go, I'm sure we find suitable and maybe better replacements but those two weren't that bad.

Lamy not good enough, Habergham never fit enough
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 118
arryarryarry
May 12, 2021, 6:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Hope Coke signs, players like him at his age are perfect for that level

I wouldn't write off any of the players we have still under contract, they arent likely to have many offers elsewhere, hurst might be willing to give them another chance, and were playing at a lower level, even though the quality difference isnt always obvious, theres a fair few players who can produce in none league but not in league 2. Bring in some quality around them, a fresh start and a better environment, we could be chanting any one of their names next season

It wouldn't bother me if we were left with only 2 or 3 of those signed for next season. Most have contributed to our relegation.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 118
DB
May 12, 2021, 6:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,006
Gold Stars: 386
Having looked at the list it does not mean that those under contract will actually be part of Hurst's plans. It merely means they have a contract for the club to pay their wages. I feel sure that many on the list will never pull on a town shirt again.

Those whose options have been taken up and professional terms offered are the players who Hurst wants. To me, his squad for next season is these 7 plus Macca, LLJ, Wright, and possibly Waterfall and Jackson as squad players, 14 in total.

It does seem contrary to belief on here that Hurst does not fancy Hendrie, but whether he stays along with Hewitt and Coke we will have to wait and see. I'd like to see both Matete and Menayese return but while Menayese might I think Matete will not want to play in the NL.

Finally, it's good to see that Hurst can do what he wishes with his budget to get us promoted. JS and AP have faith in him so let hope and pray Hurst get players he wants and promotion will be our next season.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 118
Abdul19
May 12, 2021, 7:05pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,531
Gold Stars: 215
Gutted about Sisay.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 118
Fillipe Noche
May 12, 2021, 7:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
It’s started. Love to see PH going about his work in the summer.

He unearthed some gems previously, and I’m sure we will get some more this summer
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 118
HertsGTFC
May 12, 2021, 7:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,906
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Heisenberg

What I mean is, those players (who are clearly unwanted) are not in agreement with the severance offers that the club have proposed to them, so as things stand, they are staying. They are under no obligation to leave. I just think you might as well release a list once you have an idea of who might actually be leaving, rather than those who the club is contractually obliged to keep if no agreement is reached.

I remember reading Tony Ford’s autobiography and he just turned up at pre season training despite Buckley telling him he was not in his plans. But he had every right to stay.

I just think you might as well say it how it is - Hurst has already said publicly that Morais, for example, will not play for the club again as he’s not in his plans. The ‘retained’ list doesn’t say that.

In comparison any conversation that Hurst would have with the current squad is nothing compared to the one Buckley would have had to have had with Tony.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 118
MuddyWaters
May 12, 2021, 8:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Abdul19
Gutted about Sisay.

He’s probably more gutted.
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 118
IlkleyMariner
May 12, 2021, 8:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,992
Gold Stars: 69
Frankly I’m not gutted about any of it.
If anyone had risen above the stench of failure at any point in the last 9 months we would not be faced with the dross of the next year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 118
Poojah
May 12, 2021, 8:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,454
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from Abdul19
Gutted about Sisay.

If history teaches us anything it’s that Town should never sign players from Welsh clubs. Chris Jones, Chris Llewelyn, Richard Hope, Touray Sisay. I actually quite liked Marc Goodfellow but even then I can’t ever forgive him for hitting the woodwork at Orient.

Are there any noteable exceptions?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 118
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Retained List Announced

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.