Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +984
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Heisenberg
That is the biggest waste of time statement ever. So basically, in a nutshell:

- everyone who is under contract is staying
- everyone who is out of contract is gone
- everyone who had an option, we’re keeping
- those out of contract who we’d like to keep have been offered new deals, but clearly they’d all prefer to be somewhere else as they haven’t accepted.

No news there at all.

You'd rather them have said nothing & we wait until the photographs from the first pre-season session to see who's about?  Interesting take that's for sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 118
Tommy
May 12, 2021, 4:45pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from GhostDan

You'd rather them have said nothing & we wait until the photographs from the first pre-season session to see who's about?  Interesting take that's for sure.

Unfortunately for Luke Spokes that would've been nothing new.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 118
GollyGTFC
May 12, 2021, 4:58pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Heisenberg
That is the biggest waste of time statement ever. So basically, in a nutshell:

- everyone who is under contract is staying
- everyone who is out of contract is gone
- everyone who had an option, we’re keeping
- those out of contract who we’d like to keep have been offered new deals, but clearly they’d all prefer to be somewhere else as they haven’t accepted.

No news there at all.

Where exactly did it say the players already under contract will all be staying?

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 42 - 118
TwoLeftFeet
May 12, 2021, 5:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,069
Gold Stars: 18
Glad we had options on Clifton, Pollock and Spokes..

Runaway really did leave a mess with the contracts he gave out with most of them!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 118
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 12, 2021, 5:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,148
Gold Stars: 289
Quoted from mimma
Under Fenty we were led to believe that Hurst was given a competitive budget and left to get on with it. After the Amond interview we found out that it wasn't the case, he was fighting with one arm tied behind his back all the time. Under the new regime he will be given a competitive budget and he will be left alone to spend it as he sees fit. So it looks like we will see a more proactive approach to recruitment this coming season and Hurst will get what he wants rather than what was the cheap option.

To some degree I hope this isn't the case. Holloway was pretty much left alone and look where that got us. Some oversight and asking Hurst sensible questions about his recruitment is a healthy thing and good management. I have never recruited anybody without talking it through with my boss or allowed anybody who reports to me to make a recruitment decision without a discussion with me.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 118
Heisenberg
May 12, 2021, 5:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,937
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Where exactly did it say the players already under contract will all be staying?

What I mean is, those players (who are clearly unwanted) are not in agreement with the severance offers that the club have proposed to them, so as things stand, they are staying. They are under no obligation to leave. I just think you might as well release a list once you have an idea of who might actually be leaving, rather than those who the club is contractually obliged to keep if no agreement is reached.

I remember reading Tony Ford’s autobiography and he just turned up at pre season training despite Buckley telling him he was not in his plans. But he had every right to stay.

I just think you might as well say it how it is - Hurst has already said publicly that Morais, for example, will not play for the club again as he’s not in his plans. The ‘retained’ list doesn’t say that.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 118
moosey_club
May 12, 2021, 5:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,184
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from toontown
Somewhat surprised to see we took up the option on spokes, he looks some way off being even 3rd choice at NL level to me.

Amen.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 118
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
May 12, 2021, 5:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Hope Coke signs, players like him at his age are perfect for that level

I wouldn't write off any of the players we have still under contract, they arent likely to have many offers elsewhere, hurst might be willing to give them another chance, and were playing at a lower level, even though the quality difference isnt always obvious, theres a fair few players who can produce in none league but not in league 2. Bring in some quality around them, a fresh start and a better environment, we could be chanting any one of their names next season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 118
monkeyboy
May 12, 2021, 6:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
I think spokes will be a good player, got a bit of his first season under his belt and in some games looked very good and can take decent set pieces. Think some fail to forget the huge leap in standard he has made from lowly taunton .

Another is Duncan idehan, played far to early by Holloway but certainly has enough about him to come through and shine. Has a bit of pace too which we are lacking.
And how about we give scannel a chance? He certainly is playing below his level and people saying he’s lazy is not right. Had a few injuries yes but that can happen. If he applies his self and doesn’t get injured then he could be one of the best players in the nl next season.

Gibson doesn’t do it for me.

Jackson could be lethal in front of goal given some decent service.
And there lies the problem- service. Something we have lacked for a few seasons. 3 new players in the midfield for me.

Rise has seen his best I’m afraid but can be a bit part in his twilight years.

Of and thank god Matt green has gone. Never see the best of him because that best was 5 years ago.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 118
mimma
May 12, 2021, 6:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,568
Gold Stars: 78

To some degree I hope this isn't the case. Holloway was pretty much left alone and look where that got us. Some oversight and asking Hurst sensible questions about his recruitment is a healthy thing and good management. I have never recruited anybody without talking it through with my boss or allowed anybody who reports to me to make a recruitment decision without a discussion with me.

In your business case the boss will know what is needed from any new recruit.  In football the directors do not have any knowledge of what makes a professional footballer and how to make teams play. They should leave the disisions to the manager, who is after all an ex professional footballer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 118
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Retained List Announced

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.