12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Gainsbro_Mariner
May 12, 2021, 3:02pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,450
Gold Stars: 14
Would expect Rose, Scannell, Gibson, Williams and Morais to go by either mutual termination or free to join another club.

That players under contract section is a haunting reminder at how bad Holloway's recruitment was and how many stupidly lengthy contracts were seemingly and blindly dished out where most managers would have demanded a trial for a few weeks at the very least

Slightly sad to see Habergham and Lamy go, I'm sure we find suitable and maybe better replacements but those two weren't that bad.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 118
GhostDan
May 12, 2021, 3:02pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +984
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Poojah
No great surprises there, and realistically still another four or five to get shut of by hook or by crook. What underlines the challenge ahead for me though is that if you go back in time to the 15/16 Conference season and select your best 15 from that bunch, there won't be many names you'd swap out.

McKeown
Tait
Gowling
Peason
Nsiala
Townsend
Robertson
Disley
Clay
Nolan
Arnold
Monkhouse
Amond
Bogle
Pittman

You can make an argument for LJL for Pittman, and I know some wouldn't have Monkhouse in there at all, but when you consider this lot only just got us over the line I think it becomes clear we have a hill to climb next season.

Pretty astonishing isn't it really when you compare the quality of that squad, to pretty much every side we've fielded since our return to the league... and we finished 4th in the NL that season, 21 points behind the leaders.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 118
Madeleymariner
May 12, 2021, 3:11pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
My number 1 to get rid of would be Scannell spent the whole season sitting on his @rs not being fit, much what he has done at other clubs the previous couple of years, he hasn't managed even half a season in the last 4 years
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 118
acko338
May 12, 2021, 3:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,226
Gold Stars: 33
I'm sure that Mr Hurst's ear will be on full agent call burn now - both with the get rid set and new incomers.

Ground and training improvements could be one way to bring players in - no hoofball to beat the divots and throwing the dartboard away !!

Here's a quick thought, Jon Nolan recovering from injury - cheeky short loan to get him playing time?

Question - would there be a no social media reporting clause in contracts for those he wants out who are still contracted?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 118
forza ivano
May 12, 2021, 3:14pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,147
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner
Would expect Rose, Scannell, Gibson, Williams and Morais to go by either mutual termination or free to join another club.

That players under contract section is a haunting reminder at how bad Holloway's recruitment was and how many stupidly lengthy contracts were seemingly and blindly dished out where most managers would have demanded a trial for a few weeks at the very least

Slightly sad to see Habergham and Lamy go, I'm sure we find suitable and maybe better replacements but those two weren't that bad.

wonder if Habergham's injuries was a concern - he seemed to pick up several injuries in the few games he played, and he doesn't seem to have any pace.
Tells me that Hurst has already got a left back lined up!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 118
pontoonlew
May 12, 2021, 3:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,981
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from toontown
Somewhat surprised to see we took up the option on spokes, he looks some way off being even 3rd choice at NL level to me.

I’d beg to differ, thought Spokes had some excellent games given the jump he’s had to make. Think he’ll be a good NL player next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 118
Gainsbro_Mariner
May 12, 2021, 3:19pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,450
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from forza ivano

wonder if Habergham's injuries was a concern - he seemed to pick up several injuries in the few games he played, and he doesn't seem to have any pace.
Tells me that Hurst has already got a left back lined up!

Ironically saw him in the gym last week in Lincoln doing stretches and on the bike. You are probably right, wish the guy the best anyway, he's had a tough time. Thought he played quite well though.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 118
ginnywings
May 12, 2021, 3:25pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from forza ivano

no he doesn't - he made that crystal clear in the post Cambridge interview. As someone said we could even furlough them for the next couple of months and then let them train with the youth
Since people like Gibson, Williams & Rose will be travelling long distances to work it's not going to be a very attractive proposition

Frightening that 6 of those 12 under contract are not wanted and 4 of those 12 will be amongst the highest earners. Thanks Holloway/Fenty

i'd be gobsmacked if Skinflint Fenty hadn't included relegation clauses alongside his infamous Covid clauses. The chance to save a few thousand pounds would have ensured that!
Anyone know what the magnitude of these clauses are usually? i.e. are wages cut in half, or just reduced by 10%?

Think a 25% cut is standard.

No complaints with the retained list for me but I think there will be a good few more of the contracted players going over the coming weeks and months.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 118
MeanwoodMariner
May 12, 2021, 3:28pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from pontoonlew

I’d beg to differ, thought Spokes had some excellent games given the jump he’s had to make. Think he’ll be a good NL player next season.

He seems like a good lad but that's generous. He'll have to improve significantly to be a regular next year (hopefully he can).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 118
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
May 12, 2021, 3:32pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

He seems like a good lad but that's generous. He'll have to improve significantly to be a regular next year (hopefully he can).

With a decent backroom staff he could flourish
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 118
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Retained List Announced

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.