IrishMariner
May 13, 2021, 2:34pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +613
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from sam gy

That's the sad thing really, Williams and Rose have actually done what we as fans always like to see and moved to the area and seem to be happy here.

Perhaps with a proper pre season and a decent manager last year, they might have actually been decent for us. Rose did actually have a couple of games where he genuinely looked good (though not enough) but also looked woefully unfit and i believe was injured for the last stretch of the season according to Hurst at least.

Williams...well he looked brilliant in patches and anonymous in others, but was never given a stretch of games in a settled position at any point in the season. Was brought back from the wilderness and then subsequently disappeared again, so we can probably assume Hurst isn't a fan.

Williams might be the type of player to thrive in a team that is going well, I'm hoping that is proven correct next season providing he is still with us.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 118
Poojah
May 13, 2021, 2:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,472
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from IrishMariner

Williams might be the type of player to thrive in a team that is going well, I'm hoping that is proven correct next season providing he is still with us.

Whether we've seen it or not, we know Williams has (or at least had) ability. Joke all you like about the Welsh national team, he was in their squad at a major tournament in which they found themselves in the semi-final and would end up in the top 10 of FIFA's world rankings shortly after. Conference-level players don't do that.

Did injury do for him? I don't know, but I hope and wonder if we can get a proper fitness and sports science team in place for next season then he may well yet turn out to be a pleasant surprise for us.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 118
Hagrid
May 13, 2021, 2:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,384
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from Poojah

Whether we've seen it or not, we know Williams has (or at least had) ability. Joke all you like about the Welsh national team, he was in their squad at a major tournament in which they found themselves in the semi-final and would end up in the top 10 of FIFA's world rankings shortly after. Conference-level players don't do that.

Did injury do for him? I don't know, but I hope and wonder if we can get a proper fitness and sports science team in place for next season then he may well yet turn out to be a pleasant surprise for us.

i've been a fierce critic of his as i believe he does have talent, shown by his cameo at Mansfield, but has he got the fight and bottle? i dont think so.

7 Caps no doubt is not something too be sniffed at but when you arent getting in the matchday squad when theres places available on the bench, just begs the question
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 118
KingstonMariner
May 13, 2021, 2:57pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from DB
Nice to know Kingston works for a very, very successful company and Herts family business is a billion£ plus company. Only one word to say

SPONSORSHIP   Please    ( sorry that's 2 words )

Just a thought.

I’m sorry low down the food chain I’m having Monday morning breakfast when the top people are on Sunday dinner

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 118
DB
May 13, 2021, 3:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.48
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,000
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I’m sorry low down the food chain I’m having Monday morning breakfast when the top people are on Sunday dinner

I know how it goes. I was worked for one of the largest companies in their field. MD had his own dining room and chef; directors in their dining room with their own chef and managers had their dining room with their chef, all on the top 3/4 floors. The peasants had a cafe in the basement! I know my place.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 118
fishcake63
May 13, 2021, 5:01pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,224
Gold Stars: 62
we will not see williams or rose in a town shirt again it's obvious paul hurst rates neither , both been no where near 1st team squad even put kids on bench in front of both , not sure what kind of players we are looking for in national league but these two wont be involved , also think we've  seen last of hewitt but menayese will sign because clough doesn't rate him at all played midfielder at centre half in front of him & i can't see anybody else in lge taking a punt , coke will perhaps sign think hendrie will move on all guesswork on my behalf after all it is now pre season bullcrap talk
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 118
brigg_mariner
May 14, 2021, 1:25pm

UTM...!!!
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +116
Gold Stars: 5
My take on how I think things will work out...

GK - James McKeown - Stay
MID - Danny Rose - Stay
DEF - Luke Waterfall - Go
WING - George Williams - Go
WING - Sean Scannell - Go
FWD - Montel Gibson - Go
FWD - Ira Jackson Jr - Go
WING - Filipe Morais - Go
WING - Max Wright - Stay
FWD - Lenell John-Lewis - Stay
MID - Joe Starbuck - Stay
DEF - Duncan Idehen - Stay
DEF - Luke Hendrie - Go
DEF - Elliott Hewitt - Stay
MID - Giles Coke - Stay
GK - Ollie Battersby - Stay
DEF - Mattie Pollock - Stay
MID - Harry Clifton - Stay
MID - Luke Spokes - Stay
DEF - Jaz Goundry - Stay

Leaving us with:

GK - 2
DEF - 4
MID - 5
WING - 1
FWD - 1

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2012 (Part 2)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 118
immariner
May 15, 2021, 3:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,411
Gold Stars: 60
The only player I'm really bothered about us retaining is Khouri. Not wanting to go overboard but in that run of games he showed enough to make me think he's going to be a bit of a find. I hope we haven't gone down the usual route of 1 year contract for a first year professional as I think we risk losing him. I'd go 3 years with an extra year option. Genuinely.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 118
arryarryarry
May 15, 2021, 6:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from immariner
The only player I'm really bothered about us retaining is Khouri. Not wanting to go overboard but in that run of games he showed enough to make me think he's going to be a bit of a find. I hope we haven't gone down the usual route of 1 year contract for a first year professional as I think we risk losing him. I'd go 3 years with an extra year option. Genuinely.

The lad obviously has earned his promotion to the 1st team squad and I hope he turns out to be a great player for us but the last few games he played I thought he looked a bit out of his depth.
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 118
Posh Harry
May 15, 2021, 6:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,355
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from arryarryarry

The lad obviously has earned his promotion to the 1st team squad and I hope he turns out to be a great player for us but the last few games he played I thought he looked a bit out of his depth.

Blimey. Give the kid a chance. What do you expect. He has come out of the youths and playing at the bottom of league 2 so he’s not going to be Wayne Rooney
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 118
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Retained List Announced

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.