This thread currently has 9,335 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Theimperialcoroner
May 10, 2021, 12:33pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,172
Gold Stars: 102
Anyone know when the retained list is out?

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 81
psgmariner
May 10, 2021, 12:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Today or tomorrow.

Private Message
Reply: 71 - 81
psgmariner
May 10, 2021, 12:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33

Private Message
Reply: 72 - 81
fishcake63
May 10, 2021, 1:01pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,223
Gold Stars: 62
100% sure hewitt will still be a league footballer nxt season his performances at centre half wont have gone unnoticed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 81
Son of Cod
May 10, 2021, 1:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from psgmariner

Great to see us getting off the mark early on this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 81
arryarryarry
May 10, 2021, 1:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,037
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Son of Cod

Great to see us getting off the mark early on this.

I think you will find that retained lists and players being told they are not wanted usually happens the week after the season ends.

As regards recruitment, PH seemed to suggest that we may be looking at National League players as he mentioned in his after match interview on Saturday that there may be a few weeks delay as their season hasn't ended yet.

Private Message
Reply: 75 - 81
Son of Cod
May 10, 2021, 1:51pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from arryarryarry

I think you will find that retained lists and players being told they are not wanted usually happens the week after the season ends.

As regards recruitment, PH seemed to suggest that we may be looking at National League players as he mentioned in his after match interview on Saturday that there may be a few weeks delay as their season hasn't ended yet.

Was 21st May last season, a few weeks after the end of the season...
https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2020/may/retained-list-announced/

Feels like we've been slow to do this a couple of times before too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 81
pen penfras
May 10, 2021, 1:53pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Son of Cod

Was 21st May last season, a few weeks after the end of the season...
https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2020/may/retained-list-announced/

Feels like we've been slow to do this a couple of times before too.

I'm not sure you can count last season, which was abandoned way before that, as a typical reference
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 81
mariner91
May 10, 2021, 2:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,594
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from Mariner_09

Hewitt - would try and keep but will get a league club. He's been a revelation at CB and if Hursty does what he did last time with a squad of 21-23 players then his versatility would be invaluable but he's done so well he'll get a league club.

I don't know why people are so certain about this. He's had half a good season. He's been relegated two out of the last three seasons and in the other one still finished lower mid table. Hardly a glowing CV.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 81
Bigdog
May 10, 2021, 2:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Mariner_09
McKeown - under contract, would absolutely keep, will be up there with best keepers in the Conference.
Eastwood - send him back, looked iffy when he was playing and is too injury prone for a backup keeper.
Battersby - keep, send him out on loan for the season.
Russell - under contract, just make him full-time GK coach and could be used in an emergency.

Hendrie - out of contract, have a feeling Hursty might think he can do better, especially if he is unhappy as some have suggested.
Hewitt - would try and keep but will get a league club. He's been a revelation at CB and if Hursty does what he did last time with a squad of 21-23 players then his versatility would be invaluable but he's done so well he'll get a league club.
Bunney - release, no explanation necessary.
Habergham, interesting on, probably keep on balance provided he's cheap. Think he'd benefit from a full pre-season and the reset, plus a lower league. We've seen he was good there before. Again, Hursty may feel he can better.
Menayese - would love to keep but will get a league club.
Pollock - keep, think he'll benefit from a Hursty being better than Holloway and a league down.
Waterfall - try and ship out.
Idehen - I haven't got a clue, will probably leave.

Clifton - keep, as a local lad he'll probably stay, his versatility, enegry and increased quality could be very valuable doen there.
Coke - defo try and keep. Given he was at Hereford and is already 35 I think he'd stay.
Lamy - release, done ok in flashes but again I think Hursty will think he can find better.
Morais - try and pay off, even before Payne headbutt he was a one trick pony with no energy, not what we need.
Matete - obviously would love to keep but forget it.
El Mizouni - he looked like he'd be quite a good player, if he had better players around him when he was fit. He'll obviously go back but I wouldn't argue with a return.
Rose - try and pay him off, don't want anti-vaxxers at the club, plus he'll be a high earner.
Spokes - keep, he'll be more than able as a squad player in the Conference and probably cheap.
Williams - try and pay off, Hurst clearly doesn't rate him and I again he'll be expensive.
Wright - keep, his pace and directness will terrorise non-league defenders if he could just keep himself fit.

Bennett - just send him back, one of the worst players I've ever seen play for us.
Gibson - pay off, he's an idiot and wasn't even that good.
Green - get rid, need better and can probably do better and cheaper
Hanson - sad to say but get rid, too injury prone to be relied on
Lenny - under contract and we know how good he is at that level.
Jackson Jr. - under contract, think he'll be a star next season, lower division, more Hurst coaching.
Payne - go, now and never come back.
Scannell - try and pay off, obviously expensive, very injury prone and not a Hursty player
Sisat - pass.

Say we're trying to win the Conference at the first attempt. You have to ask what is the calibre of the players that make up the DNA of a championship winning side? 20 players with two or three loans during the season? At the end of that successful season, three or four of them will have to be good enough for League One clubs to be sniffing around, you'd want to take another nine or ten up with you because they will be good enough for at least mid-table League Two and the remaining five or so will have been good enough for the Conference but not good enough to make the step up. I've highlighted the players you've picked that we've got a decent chance of keeping, I disagree about Eastwood and one or two others, and think that barring two or three you've selected, they're all at the lower end of the DNA spectrum for a Conference winning side. I hope and expect Hurst to have a larger axe in his hand than people expect in the next couple of days..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Players to keep

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.