4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
IrishMariner
May 7, 2021, 3:46pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +613
Gold Stars: 19
Apologies if it is deemed unnecessary to have another thread for this.

Was just wondering what ideas people have posed to far.

I know that the best ideas will come to light in time but I don't want to wait to have to hear, I'm too excited!

As a fan in Ireland I am mostly concerned with a streaming service for next year but I look forward to hearing what everybody else had to say
Logged Offline
Private Message
londonmariner2
May 7, 2021, 3:48pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: -24
Gold Stars: 1
easier process of buying a ticket
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 39
Chrisblor
May 7, 2021, 4:07pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,763
Gold Stars: 233
  • Replace the useless online club shop and ticket office
  • Introduce some sort of exile membership scheme (maybe the one they've set up during the pandemic will account for exiles - will need to see more detail when it launches)
  • Improved community engagement - club needs to realise it's competing against *any other activity on a Saturday afternoon* when trying to draw in new supporters
  • Better quality food and drink on offer at the ground, ideally provided by local businesses
  • Generally an improved matchday experience, so people can walk away from BP thinking they've had at decent time even if the team has played badly

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 39
forza ivano
May 7, 2021, 4:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
If 1878 are committed to using the talents volunteered by the many exiles out there i suggested a volunteer coordinator, who would know who could offer what and when.

on a side note did anyone else know that we had a walking football team and a disabilities team?
Would be nice if they were a bit better publicised
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 39
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
May 7, 2021, 4:37pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +827
Gold Stars: 117
Round balls and Docks Beer.

Thankyou

That is all
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 39
Doctor Sanchez
May 7, 2021, 4:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +19 / -6
Approval: +638
Gold Stars: 1
Something I mentioned that I'd like to see is a better policy towards retaining players. While this obviously is better for the squad, I think this also links directly to the fans and community aspect.  For the last 10+ years we've seen every season start with an almost completely new squad.  This has a negative effect on fan/player relationships as there's no opportunity for fans to feel any real connection with most of the players.  Exceptions such as James McKeown show what can happen when players spend a decent amount of time here, he's now a Town man and gives everything for the club and the fans.  I know short contracts seem to be the norm now but I don't think it has to be that way, especially with the new owners talking about building a new, positive culture at the club.  That culture can't be built if we have players coming and going all of the time.  

Serial thread killer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 39
Kris2
May 7, 2021, 5:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
See some good ideas here already so hopefully there will be plenty of suggestions for them to take on board. Improved matchday experience is something our facilities have long felt outdated too with only minor improvements over the years.  I mostly focused on how much we need to update facilities in general both in our training facilities and around the ground. I think that if people see them putting their words into actions and improvements it'll generate more feelings of excitement and put a bit of pride back into the fanbase.

Long felt like the club is just penny pinching and doing everything in the cheapest possible way, if we see owners and staff who care enough to make improvements then the fanbase will get behind it. Maybe even give people the chance to volunteer in some areas where improvements are being made, I'm sure a few people (restrictions being lifted and all hopefully) wouldn't mind offering a pair of hands to do something to help improve facilities if they can. Make it a community effort.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 39
KingstonMariner
May 7, 2021, 5:49pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from forza ivano
If 1878 are committed to using the talents volunteered by the many exiles out there i suggested a volunteer coordinator, who would know who could offer what and when.

on a side note did anyone else know that we had a walking football team and a disabilities team?
Would be nice if they were a bit better publicised

That’s an excellent idea. Needn’t be just exiles though. Some form of volunteer talent register would be good.

I knew about the walking football but not the team with disabilities/enabilities (😉)

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 39
Limerick Mariner
May 7, 2021, 5:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,663
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Doctor Sanchez
Something I mentioned that I'd like to see is a better policy towards retaining players. While this obviously is better for the squad, I think this also links directly to the fans and community aspect.  For the last 10+ years we've seen every season start with an almost completely new squad.  This has a negative effect on fan/player relationships as there's no opportunity for fans to feel any real connection with most of the players.  Exceptions such as James McKeown show what can happen when players spend a decent amount of time here, he's now a Town man and gives everything for the club and the fans.  I know short contracts seem to be the norm now but I don't think it has to be that way, especially with the new owners talking about building a new, positive culture at the club.  That culture can't be built if we have players coming and going all of the time.  

I made a similar point in my survey response. We need the core of the team to be like James McKeown - I can take getting beaten by better teams when our team is 100% fit, committed and playing for the badge of the 143-year-old institution that they are part of, but not when our team is made up of journeymen, picking up the cheque and not giving a flying feck, if that means more Harry Cliftons - limited but committed then that's fine with me.

If you think about a player like John Cockerill and compare to Scott McGarvey or Peter Sweeney - limited ability but loads of heart and commitment against loads of talent but feck all else. Cockers finished his career at 32 at the highest level he'd ever played at. McGarvey and Sweeney went on a downward spiral from International u21 to feck all with us paying them too much money on their way down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 39
lukeo
May 7, 2021, 6:05pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,346
Gold Stars: 142
Though being an exile so I thought back to when I was a season ticket holder in my teens and younger ages and suggested :

Short term :
more pre match entertainment (I know they're already doing a fanzone).
School competitions and the winners gets tickets for family.
Fish and chips available to all fans inside the groundd.

Med-long term :
Better training facilities / more pitches and have tournaments arranged through the holidays for adults and children of all ages. Make more people aware and show them what gtfc is about.

I'd love to see them massively slice St prices for one season just too see how many people would be enticed in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 39
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ideas in Survey

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.