Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › European Super League (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 170 Guests

European Super League (merged)

This thread currently has 28,854 views. Print
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
GollyGTFC
April 19, 2021, 11:41am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
The worst thing about Liverpool and Man Utd being so heavily involved in this is that they were the main cause of English clubs being banned from European cups in the late 80s.

Maybe it’s time Liverpool and United paid reparations to the likes of Crystal Palace, Derby, Everton and Luton (ok, maybe not Luton) who missed out on entering European competitions due to the bans.

Crystal Palace? Derby? When did they miss out on Europe because of the ban?

You could have said Oxford, Coventry and Wimbledon however who would have qualified for the first and only time.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 80 - 219
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
April 19, 2021, 11:43am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,805
Gold Stars: 552

I am no fan of Man Utd but how were they responsible for the ban on English clubs? The ban was a direct result of the Heysel 'Disaster' and I say 'disaster' because it was caused by a large group of Liverpool 'fans' attacking Juventus fans in a pre meditated act of hooliganism. This has been lost in the media outpouring following Hillsborough and the myth of Liverpool fans being lovable, immensely humorous scousers. Liverpool have a hardcore following of deeply unpleasant and violent characters who somewhow keep below the radar of the media and the club's excellent PR.

Only last week the Real Madrid bus was attacked as it arrived at Anfield by a group of 400 (according to the BBC website) Liverpool 'fans' who were also breaching Covid rules.

Liverpool are not the only club who were involved in violence in Europe at the time (Leeds' European campaigns were peppered with 'fan' violence) but the ban had nothing to do directly with Man Utd.

But this was all before Sky, The Champions League and the EPL erased history and started the world again at Year Zero.

United fans caused all kinds of problems abroad in the late 70s and 80s. In 1977, United had to play their Cup Winners Cul tie with Saint Etienne in Plymouth as punishment for their fans’ antics.

Although I couldn’t single out Liverpool fans in my original post for fear of reprisals. I need a new passport so I don’t want to rock the ferry!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 219
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
April 19, 2021, 11:57am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,805
Gold Stars: 552
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Crystal Palace? Derby? When did they miss out on Europe because of the ban?

You could have said Oxford, Coventry and Wimbledon however who would have qualified for the first and only time.

Palace would have qualified in 90/91 with Wright, Bright and Alan Pardinho.

Derby in 89/90 with Saunders and Shilton.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 219
The Yard Dog
April 19, 2021, 12:01pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74
The green eyed monster will just get bigger and greedier, the more money paid by the boradcasters, more money paid to the players and their agents.

That's the problem, clubs need more money, because they are paying silly money to players. How long before the first player is paid a billion.

The problem is the Yanks in our game, wanting a closed shop, to protect their interests and they interests only.

No promotion or relegation is the Yank way.

How many of these clubs are operating at a profit?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 219
April 19, 2021, 12:12pm
Guest User
Chelsea have 1.3 billion, that is billion of debt.
They are talking 15 billion between the clubs.
Not shared equally either.
Reply: 84 - 219
immariner
April 19, 2021, 12:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,402
Gold Stars: 59
Kinda laughable to see fans of Man City coming out and calling this a disgrace as if they've developed a moral compass at last. The same fans who have lapped up all the sucess bought off the back of human rights abuses and sportwashed black gold. And this is their line in the sand? Give me a break.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 219
ska face
April 19, 2021, 12:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,512
Gold Stars: 831
Is this just not the latest episode in the never-ending saga of billionaire brinkmanship?

These clowns will never do it, they’ve been threatening for decades, they haven’t got the bottom because they know it’ll fizzle out in a couple of years.

There’ll be a climb down in a few days and it’ll be used as leverage for more money, more power, more influence.

The FA, Football League, FIFA etc should call their bluff but as they’ve all got their snouts in the trough they don’t want their cup final junkets and wine-soaked annual meetings to evaporate.
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 219
Withnail
April 19, 2021, 12:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,450
Gold Stars: 36

United fans caused all kinds of problems abroad in the late 70s and 80s. In 1977, United had to play their Cup Winners Cul tie with Saint Etienne in Plymouth as punishment for their fans’ antics.

Although I couldn’t single out Liverpool fans in my original post for fear of reprisals. I need a new passport so I don’t want to rock the ferry!!

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1986-08-09-sp-2301-story.html
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 219
GollyGTFC
April 19, 2021, 12:43pm

Whiskey Drinker

Palace would have qualified in 90/91 with Wright, Bright and Alan Pardinho.

Derby in 89/90 with Saunders and Shilton.

English clubs were back in Europe by 90/91. In fact Man Utd won the Cup Winners’ Cup in 90/91. Palace didn’t qualify because 3rd place wasn’t good enough back then.

Arsenal went into the European Cup as champions. Tottenham & Man Utd played in the Cup Winners’ Cup as FA Cup Winners & defending champions respectively. And Liverpool & Sheffield Wednesday played in the UEFA Cup as league runner-up & League Cup Winners.

And Derby only finished 5th...
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 88 - 219
GollyGTFC
April 19, 2021, 12:51pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ska face
Is this just not the latest episode in the never-ending saga of billionaire brinkmanship?

These clowns will never do it, they’ve been threatening for decades, they haven’t got the bottom because they know it’ll fizzle out in a couple of years.

There’ll be a climb down in a few days and it’ll be used as leverage for more money, more power, more influence.

The FA, Football League, FIFA etc should call their bluff but as they’ve all got their snouts in the trough they don’t want their cup final junkets and wine-soaked annual meetings to evaporate.

At first I thought it was a negotiating tactic. Now I’m not so sure. You’ve got 6 clubs who are jealous of the money the Premier League generates and how much extra English clubs get in Europe because of the BT deal and 6 English clubs (5 owned by foreigners and one by a tax exile with no interest in traditions of English or European football) who have a deluded opinion of their status and aren’t satisfied that upstarts like Leicester, West Ham and co are able to compete with them.

I don’t think it will happen but I fear too much will be surrendered to the greedy 12 as a compromise.

Will be interesting to see what Klopp does. The Germany or Bayern job appears to be available. Don’t be surprised to see him resign in protest.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 89 - 219
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › European Super League (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.