Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › European Super League (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 341 Guests

European Super League (merged)

This thread currently has 28,663 views. Print
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
April 19, 2021, 5:50am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
It’s a ‘best of both worlds’ type scenario for the clubs involved. They just want more platforms to generate wealth. It’s greed. It isn’t for the benefit of the game and to say it’ll provide additional support for the whole footballing pyramid is literally a blatant lie.

The arrogance of the clubs involved is astounding. Tottenham? Aside from a new stadium and a woeful appearance in a champions league final? Seriously? On a success level they’re a million miles away. Looking at that list of teams in the league Spurs are setting themselves up to be whipping boys, arsenal to. Like I say, the arrogance is astounding.

Neville can intercourse off too. He may make some half decent points but the hypocrisy is all to evident.

Of course, this could be a way of getting back at uefa, a middle finger to them. Clubs have moaned for years about the cash generated by the champions league not filtering to them....ironic I know but still. The timing of this ‘leak’ is not accidental with uefa announcing their new plans for the champions league today.

Whether this comes off is anyone’s guess, people talk about players and the likes not being consulted but will they care? Uefa ban them from not playing in say the champions league and what? All that does is ignite further interest in the European greed league...let’s face it, does Harry Kane, Mo Salah, Pulisic et al really enjoy travelling to Rubin Kazan or Lokomotiv Moscow, especially when they could nip over the camp nou or san siro (and whatever the new ground will be called) playing better players, better facilities and shorter journeys?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 219
DB
April 19, 2021, 7:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.55
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,880
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from ginnywings
Latest statement.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56795811

I've been falling out with football for a while now and this is just another step in the greed obsessed world of them and us.

I can't think that the players have been consulted if it means they won't be allowed to play in other competitions or for their countries. No player is going to agree to that surely.

I also wonder if managers like Guardiola who moan constantly about too many fixtures, have been consulted about playing mid week games in a European Super League.

I recall reading about a player who might be offered a £1 million/week contract. If this is true then all the clubs have to do is say how much do you want to play for us. As per usual player loyalty will fade into oblivion in the face of money in the bank.

The fact that they may be banned will have little if any consequence if they can retire early. You also have to consider the legality of a person being banned from making a living in his chosen occupation, when he is fit and able to do so.

Club and player greed will win through again.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 219
GrimRob
April 19, 2021, 7:28am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Too many pointless group games in the champions league and the europa league is a ridiculous competition but any alternative has to be based upon merit and qualification. Not invitation. Boycott.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 62 - 219
supertown
April 19, 2021, 7:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,415
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from GrimRob
Too many pointless group games in the champions league and the europa league is a ridiculous competition but any alternative has to be based upon merit and qualification. Not invitation. Boycott.

I agree but there were supposed to be modifications being announced today to both those competitions
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 219
scrumble
April 19, 2021, 8:22am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from DB

You also have to consider the legality of a person being banned from making a living in his chosen occupation, when he is fit and able to do so

It maybe a legal technicality but they aren't being prevented from being employed, they can still be employed by any football team, they just can't play in a competion organised under the FIFA umbrella.

You could argue that giving someone a ban for any infraction is a restriction of their right to work, whether it's for a red card or for match rigging.

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 219
heppy88
April 19, 2021, 8:23am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,069
Gold Stars: 40
Time to let these clubs go. Banned forever to return. Money given to each group of supporters to create a supporter owned Phoenix club.
Breakaway clubs never to play football on English soil again, ever.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 219
Rick12
April 19, 2021, 8:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Iam a big lover of world cups,  European Championships and champions league as its a celebration of European and global football. For me something doesnt ring right about the new super league. Hope it gets vetoed.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 219
April 19, 2021, 9:21am
Guest User
Quoted from Gaffer58
Where’s the money coming from, tv rights, so will BT and Sky refuse to show it? Also if it’s the so called best, and not just the biggest clubs from each league, why haven’t Leicester been invited, over the last 5 years they’ve done better in the league then such as Arsenal.

In exchange for their commitment, founding clubs will receive an amount of €3.5bn (£3bn) to "support their infrastructure investment plans and to offset the impact of the COVID pandemic", the league's statement said.

Reply: 67 - 219
Withnail
April 19, 2021, 9:27am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,425
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Yossarian
I've realised I've not watched one single Champions League game this season.  

This new super league thing wont change that - you can't have foie gras, truffles and champagne everyday for lunch.  In a format they propose not all games are important.  A mid-table game is a mid-table game irrespective of it being PSG v Barca or Burnley v Everton.

Thank goodness I support a shithole team where these things dont matter.  I wonder what fans of Man Utd, Chelsea etc think of this?  And Spurs - who  have won feck all ever... how can they even be part of this.

Personally Id love to see any team who signs up for this out of the Prem.....  of course, that prob wonthappen.

And remember the geniuses who propose this league are all in charge of clubs in massive debt (Juve, Barca, Madrid etc)

I've not watched one since having the misfortune to watch the Liverpool Vs Spurs snorefest final the season before last. I only lasted to the hour mark before switching over.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 219
moosey_club
April 19, 2021, 9:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
They have all showed their growing greed down the years, Barca already pretty much corner the tv monies in Spain, the Premier League showed theirs again earlier this year with that big plan they had to re cut the tv money that got voted down.....
This is either a huge bluff to use as a bargaining chip in renegotiating their respective domestic tv deals and UEFA competition monies or it really is just a wide open short sighted greedy move.

Really can't see the Premier League, Sky etc allowing it to happen. Sky just renegotiated a massive tv deal didnt they? With some of those clubs leaving that would in theory devalue the product ( sorry...🤣) so could leave them in a position to sue.

Personally I do hope they will f k off.  Supporters of these teams...well I am largely unsympathetic, they pulled the ladder up nearly 30yrs ago now is it ? when the PL was formed.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 219
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › European Super League (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.