Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › European Super League (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 201 Guests

European Super League (merged)

This thread currently has 28,664 views. Print
22 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
April 21, 2021, 1:46am
Guest User
If the PL had a spine, they could take the view that the owners of the 6 clubs who signed up for the European Pooper League have - by that action - demonstrated
that they are not 'fit and proper' persons to own a PL football club.

And kick them out...

(Maybe they're too rich to have the rules applied to them, though.)
Reply: 200 - 219
KingstonMariner
April 21, 2021, 3:10am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I wouldn't have been surprised if Juve and Milan had pulled out because their security couldn't guarantee the owners' safety.

In a way it's a bit disappointing the "Big" Six caved in so easily. I don't think their owners have had long enough to absorb the lesson.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 201 - 219
aldi_01
April 21, 2021, 5:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
What we’ll never know is if the other corrupt organisation, uefa, caved and just offered them the cash they’ve been cryarsing about for years.

In truth I was sceptical it would ever get off the ground and it seems they’ve either less backbone than we thought or got what they deserved.

I’m fed up of hearing Neville go on about unscrupulous owners and the like though...hypocritical big nosed girl private.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 202 - 219
moosey_club
April 21, 2021, 8:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Beep beep beep......6 clubs reversing.....beep beep beep....6 clubs reversing

Funny how once these type of plans come out in the open the clubs suddenly don't want anything to do with them, sitting in a private meeting staring at cash projections the whole scheme looked great.....
Has a ring of Fenty, Day and May to it.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 203 - 219
buckstown
April 21, 2021, 9:11am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,120
Gold Stars: 77
Was very impressed by Guardiola last night. Summed it up perfectly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 204 - 219
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 21, 2021, 10:27am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from buckstown
Was very impressed by Guardiola last night. Summed it up perfectly

Yes but it was a rearguard action and it is still very naive to think an ESL will not happen. Those US backers have invested too much for it not to come back in some other form. Their model is the franchise system and wage cap from the other sports. Football in short bursts is their aim for the game. Just like cricket limited overs, designed for a) short attention span kids and Homer Simpsons and b) time gaps for plugging, selling and advertising. It will come in the finish.

The best we can hope for is that the traditional game will continue to attract kids but personally I don’t see too much sign that is the case and the Woodwards and co. know that. They are right, a digital speeded up version of the game is the most sustainable way to make money. Eventually the players on the pitch will be largely from poor third world countries and the watchers will be first world kids on couches.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 205 - 219
diehardmariner
April 21, 2021, 11:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,063
Gold Stars: 518
Drip feed approach.

Each time they see how much people will tolerate.  They haven't backtracked at all.  They took 5 steps forward with this one and have taken 3 back.   Not a chance in hell that they've abandoned the plans just because fans have protested and Chris Sutton has cried about it on Radio 5.

It's brinkmanship.  UEFA know full well their competitions are dead without the bigger clubs.  Fair play for Bayern and PSG, Dortmund too, not getting involved but you're not going to get an elite competition with those 3 clubs.  Absolutely certain there will have been a demand put in front of UEFA for a concession to be made in the near future, one which was very quickly accepted.

UEFA are hanging onto their sphere of power by a thread, they'll do anything to keep it for another few years.  As an organisation it's had its day and along with the Premier League and other leagues is now doing whatever it can to prolong itself.  Ultimately though the power has gone, it's gone to the bigger clubs and they'll dictate what they want.  

This isn't the end of this Super League or Project Big Picture, or the 39th Game, or PPV games, or franchised teams....it's coming.
Private Message
Reply: 206 - 219
Heswall Mariner
April 21, 2021, 7:17pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +580
Gold Stars: 30
As usual a constructive opinion from John Barnes. (On BBC Sport I think - can't find the link)
This is  nothing to do with the ripped off fans - its about who has the power over the gravy train  - EUFA/FIFA/ SKY/P/L etc .
He even alludes to the fact that this will have no impact on the likes of Grimsby Town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 207 - 219
immariner
April 21, 2021, 10:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,387
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Heswall Mariner
As usual a constructive opinion from John Barnes. (On BBC Sport I think - can't find the link)
This is  nothing to do with the ripped off fans - its about who has the power over the gravy train  - EUFA/FIFA/ SKY/P/L etc .
He even alludes to the fact that this will have no impact on the likes of Grimsby Town.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DFO3vzH3yug&feature=youtu.be
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 208 - 219
GollyGTFC
April 22, 2021, 9:39am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
If the 14 “non-Big” clubs had any sense they’d vote through a change in distribution of foreign TV money back to how it was before (i.e. split evenly between all 20 clubs) they changed it to part performance related.

You need a 14-6 majority to make changes in the PL. The 14 could rewrite the rules of the entire league if they wanted.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 209 - 219
22 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › European Super League (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.