Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › European Super League (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 179 Guests

European Super League (merged)

This thread currently has 28,859 views. Print
22 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next All Recommend Thread
barrattstandman
April 19, 2021, 4:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +478
Gold Stars: 17
Expel the " Big " six . Promote 6 teams through every league with no relegation this season . Job done Town saved . If they want to come back they will join at National League level if voted in and with financial constraints . That could be the answer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 219
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 19, 2021, 4:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,168
Gold Stars: 290
Quoted from Squinter

Thanks for that, I never knew.

Superbowl champions often call themselves World Champions.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 219
rancido
April 19, 2021, 4:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,526
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Heisenberg

You don’t think they’ll leave the premier league, do you?! No chance. But if they did we might get a reprieve. Ain’t happening though.

They should be made to leave the Premiersh*t. This was inevitable once the Premiersh*t was first formed. Greed was behind that decision and was to the detriment of English football, especially the grass roots football. I don't support any Premiersh*t club and don't subscribe to any TV company that funds it. Sadly too many fans were sucked into the whole mess that is top level football in England - 30 pieces of silver springs to mind.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 219
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 19, 2021, 5:09pm
Champagne Drinker
The lack of irony and awareness of some of the people being quoted over this is breathtaking.

The radio has just played a short interview with a guy from Chelsea's supporters Trust/Fan Club bemoaning the lack of competition and how it's not in the spirit of the game.

That would be the Chelsea owned by a Russian oligarch who isn't allowed to enter the UK and who spaffed money like a fire hose when he took over. No worries about competition and the spirit of the game then.

And how much of that money flowed down to....er...Grimsby? F*ck all is how much.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 219
The Yard Dog
April 19, 2021, 5:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74
The football family needs to unite, against the European Super league.  The Yanks want a close shop, to protect their interest and they interest own, not in the interest of the football pyamid in this country or Europe.
This is the time for FIFA, UEFA, FA, Goverment, Premier League, National League, football clubs and every football fan, to SAY NO.

GTFC sending a clear message https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2021/april/big-six-shirt-amnesty-launched/

The only way to stop this, is for everyone to turn against these 6 clubs who think they are the top dogs of football in English football, not so long ago Man City, Chelsea were playing in the football league they are now trying to destroy.

Its the only way Arsenal, Tottenham and maybe Liverpool are going to get into the Europe (Champions League), because they have not been good enough, so had to make do in the poor mans Europa League.

So to Leicester City and West Ham United who currently sit in 2 of 4 champions league spots, TOUGH. We can not beat on the football pitch, but were bigger than you, so there.

It is like the lad who takes the football home with him, because his mum tells him to come in, if I can't play, you're not playing either.

STAND UP FOR FOOTBALL
The UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 219
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 19, 2021, 5:50pm
Champagne Drinker
What "football family"?

If this is a family then I'm seen as the failed brother. The one who's much more successful brother looks at me as if I'm the sh*t on his shoe. The one that only gives me the time of day at Christmas when he can flaunt his wealth and his trophy wife and wants to talk to me about his Porsche. The one who asks me about holidays so he can tell me about his holiday home in Tuscany, while I'm in my caravan at Margate. In the rain.

Football family, my a*se.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 219
cardiffmariner
April 19, 2021, 6:16pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,308
Gold Stars: 24
Quoted from Les Brechin

Brilliant. Love this. Very ungtfc to be this quick and imaginative. I’d be interested to know who’s idea it was and whether it is an example of some of the more positive PR we hope the new regime can bring.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 219
KingstonMariner
April 19, 2021, 6:20pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Love the shirt amnesty thing. Well done Town. It’s more something that you can credit to the new regime.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 219
Poojah
April 19, 2021, 6:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,413
Gold Stars: 1,497
[td]
[/td]
Quoted from Madeleymariner

To be honest its called the World Series as it was originally set up and sponsored as such by The World or maybe Daily World newspaper in America. I used to think the exact same thing as you till a few years ago

That's actually another urban myth:

For many years, it was believed that the name came from the fact that the original series was sponsored by the New York World Telegram newspaper, thus becoming known as the ‘World’s Series’. However, popular as this explanation may be, it’s not actually true and although the newspaper did report the results of the games, it had nothing to do with the naming of the competition.

The real reason behind the name is thanks to Barney Dreyfuss who was the owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates. In 1903, he wrote to the owner of the Boston Red Sox challenging them to a ‘World’s Championship Series’. The Pirates were the best team in the National League and the Red Sox were the best in the American League.

The games went ahead and Boston won the series five games to three. Over time, the 'World’s Championship Series' name has been shortened to the World Series and has been played every year apart from 1904 and 1994.

https://www.rulesofsport.com/f.....ican-teams-play.html

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 219
Manchester Mariner
April 19, 2021, 6:38pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
Just read that an anonymous board member of one of the clubs involved has said the owner is hellbent on the super league idea and 'can't get their heads around the concept of relegation'. Tenner bet the owner referenced is Kroenke at Arsenal who just wants another NFL style franchise set up.

If I recall right, them Indian Fried Chicken millionaires bought Blackburn because they wanted to own a Premier League club not realising they could get relegated. Queue general hatred for Vekys from the fanbase and a fall from the Premier to League 1.

Bonkers.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 219
22 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › European Super League (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.