Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC training ground location?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 221 Guests

GTFC training ground location?
Cheapside
Beggining of M180 Doncaster area
Off motorway coming in to Grimsby
Elsewhere in local area
Elsewhere
Don't care
  View Results 145 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

GTFC training ground location?

This thread currently has 7,081 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
April 16, 2021, 10:19am

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,956
Gold Stars: 189

Seeing as it has been discussed on here recently thought I'd do a poll.

Where do you think the GTFC training ground should be?

It has been suggested many times our location has been a problem attracting players.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
RonMariner
April 16, 2021, 10:22am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,010
Gold Stars: 216
Have to be realistic, not every player we want to sign will be keen to move to Grimsby. A more accessible location location for day to day training might make us a more attractive prospect to some.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 35
realist
April 16, 2021, 10:26am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,688
Gold Stars: 41
Need an option of in Grimsby
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 35
promotion plaice
April 16, 2021, 10:29am

Quoted from realist
Need an option of in Grimsby

I've added elsewhere in local area  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 35
aldi_01
April 16, 2021, 10:32am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
How many clubs have their training facility within the actual town or in a really inaccessible place?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 35
kafunanapar140909
April 16, 2021, 10:33am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +574
Gold Stars: 50
I don't blame players for not wanting to move to Grimsby. It's got nothing to do with the area and everything to do with the amount of time players spend at any one club nowadays. If you have been given a contract for one or two years, why would you up and move your whole family when you know you'll be doing the same thing again in 12-24 months? Perhaps that's an incentive to start looking at longer contracts? Or perhaps following up those initial, shorter contracts with longer ones once we know the player is a good fit? Players who relocate to the area permanently tend to be here a long time. (And for what it's worth, I'd have a training ground off the M/A180 to make access easier yet still keep some kind of link to the area.)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 35
realist
April 16, 2021, 10:34am
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,688
Gold Stars: 41
I wonder if my employer will move my workplace a bit closer to my home?

This subject is a load of tosh. Grimsby is grimsby. Not some convenient location on the A180.  All the talk is about community stadiums, team part of the community etc. Well the players have to be part of it too. Travel or move to grimsby or buggar off elsewhere
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 35
ska face
April 16, 2021, 10:40am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,360
Gold Stars: 824
Quoted from realist

This subject is a load of tosh. Grimsby is grimsby. Not some convenient location on the A180.  All the talk is about community stadiums, team part of the community etc. Well the players have to be part of it too. Travel or move to grimsby or buggar off elsewhere

I notice we are 92nd (last place, absolute bottom) of the football league.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 35
kafunanapar140909
April 16, 2021, 10:43am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Approval: +574
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from realist

Does your sector work almost exclusively with short-term contracts? And have a relatively tiny pool of talent to recruit from?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 35
malkamalka
April 16, 2021, 11:04am
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
The "easy access" options (A180) also allows for ease of departure. Where would players be living if they were coming across the motorway to train? What about those players who decide to move to Louth for example? They could have further to travel than someone who decides to live in Scunthorpe (?), Lincoln, Doncaster or Sheffield.

If the new owners are proposing this new era that incorporates sustainability towards the club, employees, supporters, community, etc., then surely a Community Stadium should include on site training facilities. It's not a general thing that's done, but I think a location closer to, rather than farther away from the stadium whould show a commitment to the new philosophy of community driven.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 35
AdamHaddock
April 16, 2021, 11:15am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,746
Gold Stars: 24
Bull fort

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 35
DB
April 16, 2021, 11:26am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,874
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from realist

Just guessing but I think that's what a lot of Hurst's targeted players did in the January transfer window. We were left with 2nd/3rd choices or anybody that would come.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 35
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 16, 2021, 12:49pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +6,988
Gold Stars: 285
Quoted from AdamHaddock
Bull fort

I understand that there's a potential problem with keeping the pitches drained.....

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 35
promotion plaice
April 16, 2021, 1:05pm

Quoted from AdamHaddock
Bull fort

Holloway's preferred location, allegedly.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 35
aldi_01
April 16, 2021, 1:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from promotion plaice

Holloway's preferred location, allegedly.

Surely with Hollowheads penchant for darts, Alexandra Palace would have been a good option...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 35
Madeleymariner
April 16, 2021, 2:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
Needs to be near Kirmington quite a quick trip from M180 and our superstars can fly in to training when were in the premiership.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 35
diehardmariner
April 16, 2021, 2:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,091
Gold Stars: 520
Quoted from malkamalka
The "easy access" options (A180) also allows for ease of departure. Where would players be living if they were coming across the motorway to train? What about those players who decide to move to Louth for example? They could have further to travel than someone who decides to live in Scunthorpe (?), Lincoln, Doncaster or Sheffield.

If the new owners are proposing this new era that incorporates sustainability towards the club, employees, supporters, community, etc., then surely a Community Stadium should include on site training facilities. It's not a general thing that's done, but I think a location closer to, rather than farther away from the stadium whould show a commitment to the new philosophy of community driven.

I think it's probably a small percentage of players who are going to move here (permanently) and set up camp in Louth.  We're certainly more likely to sign players living in Sheffield, Leeds etc. than Boston and Saltfleet.

Unfortunately we have to be realistic and accept that in the greater scheme of things, the days at our level of players setting up home here are decreasing rapidly.  I think the McKeown, Pearson, Disley era is probably the last of players who did that.  

Personally think we probably need to look around the Barnetby area.  Direct access from 3 directions (A15 North and South plus the M180).   Probably a 30 minute difference from someone travelling from say Sheffield to there as opposed to Cheapside but 30 minutes each way, 5 times a week soon adds up.

Could understand the idea of one Doncaster way on but just feel that's maybe a little too far.  Barnetby area is still, in my mind, GTFC territory.  
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 35
toontown
April 16, 2021, 2:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from diehardmariner

I think it's probably a small percentage of players who are going to move here (permanently) and set up camp in Louth.  We're certainly more likely to sign players living in Sheffield, Leeds etc. than Boston and Saltfleet.

Unfortunately we have to be realistic and accept that in the greater scheme of things, the days at our level of players setting up home here are decreasing rapidly.  I think the McKeown, Pearson, Disley era is probably the last of players who did that.  

Personally think we probably need to look around the Barnetby area.  Direct access from 3 directions (A15 North and South plus the M180).   Probably a 30 minute difference from someone travelling from say Sheffield to there as opposed to Cheapside but 30 minutes each way, 5 times a week soon adds up.

Could understand the idea of one Doncaster way on but just feel that's maybe a little too far.  Barnetby area is still, in my mind, GTFC territory.  

Agree with this
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 35
nightrider
April 16, 2021, 2:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
If we were to move from grimsby It should only be if we were to share a training complex with another club/s
That way we get premiership standard training facilities.
Big accommodation type complex. Indoor pitch the lot. It would work quite well. Not as if we couldn't still train in grimsby on the red wreck. Or the beach, old school

- mind you at this rate e'd be better off travelling 90mile up the road to borrow Leicesters new one  

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 35
Mariner93er
April 16, 2021, 2:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,674
Gold Stars: 28
If it helps attract better players, I couldn’t care less where our training ground is. It’s not like we’re looking to move our stadium too
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 35
ska face
April 16, 2021, 3:15pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,360
Gold Stars: 824
Just a thought - if the facilities are at the other end of the m180, that wouldn’t stop players moving to town if they wanted to. It might just be better to have all the squad within a 30/40 drive of their workplace, then half some living 5 mins away and some 2 hours away?
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 35
DB
April 16, 2021, 3:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I believed we debated this in detail some weeks ago. If I'm not mistaken the Donny area sounded good but was deemed to be too far away. Cheapside had to have the push and even somewhere on the docks was suggested, due to the impression the new stadium was to be built there.

Personally, I like the idea of Barnetby top. The location is about right to attract players from the Sheffield/ Barnsley/Leeds areas. About 1 - 1 1/2 hours travel so it saves the extra 1/2 hour to Cheapside if it was redeveloped or even into Grimsby itself.

I think we can forget about players settling in the town in this modern era, due to short-term contracts and total lack of amenities compared to other towns and cities, the new palm tree included! What we hope for is that the new owners have as much vision as we believe they have and come up with a good solution.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 35
immariner
April 16, 2021, 3:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,387
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from malkamalka

That player would have moved to Louth knowing that the training ground was 30 miles away, dictating their longer commute, therefore your point is effectively moot.

When location has been cited as a factor on many ocasions as to why we can't attract players, I can't see that trying to be pragmatic and solve this can be anything other than a good thing. In terms of incorporating full training facilities within any new community stadium, you're looking at major acreage to include the necessary number of pitches. I'm sure there would/will be community 4G pitches included in a new community stadium but full first team and youth training fscilities would be unrealistic. So that leaves us with a rented training ground with poor facilities in a less than ideal location for attracting commuting players (a reality in today's game that isn't going away with one year contracts being the norm).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 35
Theimperialcoroner
April 16, 2021, 5:06pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -3
Approval: +5,088
Gold Stars: 93
Elsham Top about the best bet for me. Bit bleak in the winter but only real spot in that area flat enough and close enough for those links we say we need.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 35
jamesgtfc
April 16, 2021, 5:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,813
Gold Stars: 187
Boston train at The Keepmoat in Doncaster as it increases the pool of players available to them.

You have to be naïve if you don't think the daily commute isn't factored into decision making, especially if they are discussing it with their wife/girlfriend.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 35
rancido
April 16, 2021, 6:07pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 92
When we signed Craig Disley didn't he set up home in Market Rasen? The idea of Barnetby is quite good but also the Caistor area has some merit as well.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 35
KingstonMariner
April 16, 2021, 6:47pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Don’t have strong feelings about this. Can see the benefit of putting it closer to bigger population centres. However, if there’s any public funding available, e.g. for shared use facilities, we would lose out of its at somewhere like Kirmington.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 35
GY1
April 17, 2021, 4:46am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +129
Gold Stars: 1
Brigg would be a good area.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 35
Yossarian
April 18, 2021, 10:11pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Approval: +1,098
Gold Stars: 18
I think the original post that kicked off this debate was a really interesting idea.  If you remove the emotion from this (we all as Town supporters) and look at it from a point of view of "what would I do if it was me" then it does make sense to move the training ground somewhere more accessible.

Given the short term nature of contracts these guys are not settling in Grimsby/Lincolnshire for 3-5 years  - they are not going to move house and kids/wife.  I contract from client to client usually 1-2 years at a time - there is no way I move house each time -  I look at what is accessible and how easy it is to get to work/get home.  My family stay in London and I choose my work based on access.  I am sure these guys are the same.

I have to say - great post that started this conversation  - I never really thought about the location of the training ground before
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 35
aldi_01
April 19, 2021, 6:06am

Barley Wine Drinker
It’s the contract length which surely plays a part in why players don’t necessarily move permanently to a town etc. I’d imagine distance does impact that but not so much as a 2 year deal.

This romantic notion of it being important for players to live in the community is nonsense in the modern game. Only a handful if that of our most recent successful side lived locally, they still had the passion and drive. Look at top clubs, they win, there’s a passion and a desire to win, few players live in say Manchester or Liverpool though.

The training facility is just that, a facility that enables players to do their daily job. Of placing it elsewhere, with state of the art and modern facilities can improve chances of signing players then it can only be a good thing. Let’s face it, we are the club that we’re deadly serious when we added an additional portacabin at our training facility as it being an improvement.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 35
jaygy
April 19, 2021, 6:40am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
Barnetby is a great shout if you trickle the debate lower down to the youth set up, you can attract a bigger pool of youth players as parents from Hull/doncaster area are more likely to take their kids to a closer training facility
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 35
marinerdazza
April 19, 2021, 10:23am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,593
Gold Stars: 80
Barnetby.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 35
DB
April 19, 2021, 2:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
It’s the contract length which surely plays a part in why players don’t necessarily move permanently to a town etc. I’d imagine distance does impact that but not so much as a 2 year deal.

This romantic notion of it being important for players to live in the community is nonsense in the modern game. Only a handful if that of our most recent successful side lived locally, they still had the passion and drive. Look at top clubs, they win, there’s a passion and a desire to win, few players live in say Manchester or Liverpool though.

The training facility is just that, a facility that enables players to do their daily job. Of placing it elsewhere, with state of the art and modern facilities can improve chances of signing players then it can only be a good thing. Let’s face it, we are the club that we’re deadly serious when we added an additional portacabin at our training facility as it being an improvement.

The only serious thing about the portacabin was Fenty saving money and pretending to be savy.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 35
dapperz fun pub
April 19, 2021, 7:08pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
Immingham
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 35
GrimRob
April 19, 2021, 9:49pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from marinerdazza
Barnetby.

House prices would spike there, especially if a Holloway-sized squad was training there every day;

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 34 - 35
rancido
April 19, 2021, 10:50pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 92
Quoted from GrimRob

House prices would spike there, especially if a Holloway-sized squad was training there every day;

Plus on training days it would be impossible to get on the dartboards in the local pubs!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 35
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC training ground location?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.