Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hollowhead  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 333 Guests

Hollowhead  (merged)

This thread currently has 18,820 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 14, 2021, 10:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from moosey_club

Whites Rd/ Nicholson St ....same one maybe.... Green Star Fish Bar ?

I can also remember one down Durban Rd and one half way down North Sea Lane , both now just plain houses. The one down Carr Lane which is now a pizza takeaway.

It was just off a corner but, sounds about right

Also the one Tiverton st used to be good. Not sure about now

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 124
aldi_01
April 14, 2021, 10:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I know the discussion of Chippys does the rounds on here from time to time and taping about them now provided a distraction from thinking about that ducking carrot crunching charlatan...

Has anyone mentioned the Carlton yet? Tivvo St chippy used to be great, not sure if it is now like.

Perhaps they picked Papas becauee they knew nobody but he odd tourist would be in there?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 124
Kris2
April 14, 2021, 11:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from ginnywings

Meggies chippy just around the corner from the Seawave is reputedly very good, but I've not tried them as yet.

Never tried them either, Suppose Seawave is better than that place on the other side of the laser quest called Harry Ramsbottoms. He must be ramming the fish and chips up his bottom because it bloody tastes like it.

What was the chippy on Bentley Street called a while back? Chirpy Chippy or something?, think it's just a house now but can still see where we'd stand outside as kids with chips in a cone.
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 124
KingstonMariner
April 14, 2021, 11:10pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from promotion plaice

That one on William St had been on the go for years then new owners took it over and bought in the cheapest stuff they could buy imo, lasted about a year after that.

Me and my mate used to go to the Humber St one on the way home from the Smuggs, lovely couple ran it.
Think he had something to do with angling.

Then there's the one at the "Top Shops" the guy that had a secret camera in the loo.

Wasn't he a Leeds fan? Nuff said.

Used to live near there and it was always OK (in the 70s) but not the best around.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 124
KingstonMariner
April 14, 2021, 11:14pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from realist
The pea bung is still going and as good as it ever was

Excellent news. Next time I'm up I will make a pilgrimage and pay honour to my late old lady who used to love it.

The Park St chippy was recommended to me by mu niece's husband but when we went I couldn't finish them, which saying a lot for me. I live down South for God's sake. People who have lived in the Arctic and haven't been to a decent chippy in years take pity on me and let me go first in Grimsby chippies.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 124
promotion plaice
April 14, 2021, 11:17pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Wasn't he a Leeds fan? Nuff said.

Used to live near there and it was always OK (in the 70s) but not the best around.

Yeah KM, the guy running the Top Shops chippy had a Leeds scarf proudly displayed on wall behind the counter.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 124
Perkins
April 14, 2021, 11:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,964
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from moosey_club

Top Shops , same guy still runs it i think , that was my local growing up when Brian and his little Mrs ran it for years.   I know some on here have been sl@gging off the invasion of fish patties but i used to have them all the time from there 30+ years ago so to me they arent a yorkshire invasive species  

If i am not mistaken, a proper fish pattie as sold {or used to be} in our area is two large slices of potato with fish in the middle, battered and fried, whilst the so called yorkie fish pattie is what we in this area would call a fishcake
Please feel free to correct me if im wrong.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 124
promotion plaice
April 15, 2021, 12:25am

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188
Quoted from moosey_club

I did a thread on here yonks ago about the back street chip shops that had gone from the town , even just in that small area of Cleethorpes......Williams St, Humber St , Brighton St , Nicholson St, Bentley St.... all gone.

The one on Brighton St is soon to open as a Thai Takeway if Graham ever gets it finished.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 124
Withnail
April 15, 2021, 9:10am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,425
Gold Stars: 33
Wot's olloways gotta do with the price of fish (or chips)?

Talking of which...who remembers 99p fish n chips from Fish n Chick?

Steele's is still the undisputed champion of fish n chips for me. Jumbo addock, chips, mushy peas, bread and butter, pot of tea 🏆
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 124
golfer
April 15, 2021, 9:13am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 111
Quoted from aldi_01
I know the discussion of Chippys does the rounds on here from time to time and taping about them now provided a distraction from thinking about that ducking carrot crunching charlatan...

Has anyone mentioned the Carlton yet? Tivvo St chippy used to be great, not sure if it is now like.

Perhaps they picked Papas becauee they knew nobody but he odd tourist would be in there?

There used to be a pretty good CARLTON  down Wellington Street
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 124
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hollowhead  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.