Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hollowhead  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 393 Guests

Hollowhead  (merged)

This thread currently has 18,822 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 11, 2021, 7:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,512
Gold Stars: 64

Surely John knew why Holloway was there, as it wasn’t purely football reasons?!!

Unless John wasn’t involved in the appointment.

From my memory the majority of town fans applauded his appointment, me included, but we were all wrong. In hindsight we probably should have thought more seriously as to why Holloway would come to us but as RR states after years of bland football and crap results many of us were all too willing to grab this final straw. It appears there was clearly a scheme in mind that would have delivered Holloway some additional money over and above his salary which is fine by me if a) it is legal; b) is in the best interests of the club, the fans and in the long term, the team and one would hope that should be achievable.

However, the revelations at Christmas suggest any financial dealings to deliver any “windfall” were at best dodgy and appear not to be in the best interests of the club however, the proposed May package was sold by JF and Day.

In reality I don’t blame Fenty for any of his appointments as in most of the cases I have seen the logic behind them. What is now clearly apparent is that these Managers never have received the right and correct level of financial, administrative and organisational support which has totally restricted their respective abilities to deliver any form of success.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 124
DB
April 11, 2021, 8:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,878
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from Fillipe Noche

So was I. Hands up here.

On the face of it, John had made a very exciting appointment. Little did any of us know though hey

On the Siriki Dembele thread, you asked:-

Hey let me tell you, that I have no loyalty to John Fenty. Why would I have?

Your above statement seems a reasonable answer!

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 124
Garth
April 11, 2021, 8:39pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from Gaffer58
Probably if Mr Fenty had done due diligence, or even asked around his fellow league chairman he may have had second thoughts on employing him, there again with a certain Mr May it seems that he’s easily taken in by bulls**t.

Whoa! hold it there,
Had it been known that Hollow words had wanted the Grimsby job and Fenty had turned him down, there would have been an uproar, because 90% of supporters were behind the appointment as it was then, and bought into the Ollie dream.
Its easy to be wise after the event, and no I'm not a JF groupie just trying to be fair.
The May business was another thing altogether
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 124
KingstonMariner
April 11, 2021, 10:42pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

Surely John knew why Holloway was there, as it wasn’t purely football reasons?!!

Unless John wasn’t involved in the appointment.

Absolutely not. It was pure coincidence that they bumped into each other in Papas.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 124
aldi_01
April 11, 2021, 10:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Absolutely not. It was pure coincidence that they bumped into each other in Papas.

The fact they went to Papa’s should’ve set alarm bells ringing...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 124
KingstonMariner
April 11, 2021, 10:58pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from aldi_01

I know. Very nouveaux riches. Should have been Steels.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 124
DB
April 11, 2021, 11:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,878
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I know. Very nouveaux riches. Should have been Steels.

Or perhaps fish and chips open, with scraps! held in the palms of their hands so they wouldn't get their fingers burnt!

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 124
WesternMariner
April 12, 2021, 7:23am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +879
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from aldi_01

I think I can now disclose information I was given in confidence by someone who was actually present on the pier at the time of this fateful meeting. It actually disgusts me and sharing it lifts a burden that believe me has been difficult to carry these many months.

Fenty had a Papas special yorkie fish pattie for his dinner. 😞

All men are equal before fish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 124
pen penfras
April 12, 2021, 7:43am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -139
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Garth

Whoa! hold it there,
Had it been known that Hollow words had wanted the Grimsby job and Fenty had turned him down, there would have been an uproar, because 90% of supporters were behind the appointment as it was then, and bought into the Ollie dream.
Its easy to be wise after the event, and no I'm not a JF groupie just trying to be fair.
The May business was another thing altogether

Absolutely. And I think you also have to consider that this article was written by a supporter of a club that he wasn't successful at. Holloway has had success for a reason, there are some things he's very good at. But an all round manager/coach is not his strength and when the tough got going, he got worse.

I do think that covid hit us harder than other clubs, and I completely blame the EFL for that. Starting the season without knowing what funding would be in place was unfair. A lot of teams gambled and won, we were cautious and it has come back to bite us. But if we knew what money was coming in ahead of being told to get ready, I think everything would have been different.

In hindsight, we got it very wrong. But at the time, it seemed a very logical choice to be cautious and the vast majority were in favour of what we did.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 124
aldi_01
April 12, 2021, 8:07am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
So we were over cautious, had the ready made excuse and just hoped for the best...that worked well.

Then, after mining about Covid, safety and all that balderdash we had three game called off and ended up with a huge fine because of our member up.

Excellent.

Holloway is a flipping fraud, consigned to the list of useless with Bignot, Butler, Law and so on...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 124
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hollowhead  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.