11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Mikey_345
April 8, 2021, 3:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,307
Gold Stars: 99
Whilst it isn't nice to see, if confirmed i'd happily take the straw of a second chance.

Let's be honest though, £30 million in the fourth tier is a ridiculous amount of debt, no matter if it is primarily to their chairman - not as if they haven't had a fair crack at it.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 107
GollyGTFC
April 8, 2021, 3:12pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,974
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Poojah

Not that I'm giving any particular credence to the rumour, but I believe any deduction would be applied in the season in which it would have most material impact. If a club was mid-table for example and a points deduction would have no effect on their league status, the deduction would apply next season. If however it would relegate them, it would apply this season - see Wigan in the Championship last season.

This is to deter clubs from reaching a point of safety, or conversely finding themselves in an irretrievable league position, and avoiding any meaningful punishment for entering administration.

After a certain date in April the points are only applied during the current season if it directly effects which division they will be in next season.

So the points deduction would need to mean the club would either miss out on promotion or be relegated as a result of the deduction.

The deduction would only be applied after all matches have been completed.

I doubt it’s true because the HMRC have stopped issuing winding up orders during the COVID crisis.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 51 - 107
forza ivano
April 8, 2021, 3:32pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,127
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from GollyGTFC

After a certain date in April the points are only applied during the current season if it directly effects which division they will be in next season.

So the points deduction would need to mean the club would either miss out on promotion or be relegated as a result of the deduction.

I doubt it’s true because the HMRC have stopped issuing winding up orders during the COVID crisis.

But HMRC  don't necessarily have to be involved,as i know from bitter experience!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 107
MarinerDevil
April 8, 2021, 3:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,698
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Cowling's business (the creditor) is in financial trouble and may be obligated to call in assets, such as the loan in the club.  As per the rumour, of course.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 107
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 8, 2021, 4:12pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,125
Gold Stars: 289
Quoted from GollyGTFC

You don't have to have a winding up order against you to go into administration. Administration is (very simplistically) a way of holding your hands up and admitting "this business is f*cked". A winding up order is HMRC telling you you're f*cked!

The 2 are regularly intertwined because struggling businesses often hold on to tax payments to keep the business going and eventually HMRC step in to demand the tax the business owes. At that point HMRC often issue a winding up order and appoint administrators.

HMRC appointed administrators are basically told (by HMRC) extract the money we are owed from the business and the rest can be flogged off for whatever you can get and we don't give a sh*t what that looks like. If the business goes to the wall, so be it.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 107
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 8, 2021, 4:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner
I wouldn't take any glee from staying up at the expense of another club, but I'll take those straws and clutch tightly because I just can't see us picking up the four wins we need to stand a chance of surviving.

I remain hopeful that we'll at least make a fist of it, and perhaps take it into the last day. I've said all along that if we can't get ourselves out the mire, we can at least try and make 23rd because you never know what might happen off the field.

And let's not forget, if it did happen it would be the second time under the Principle Funder that we have avoided relegation from the EFL because of another club having points deducted.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 107
ginnywings
April 8, 2021, 4:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,084
Gold Stars: 547
Is the timing anything to do with the new financial year starting over Easter?

Asking for a financial dunderhead.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 107
aldi_01
April 8, 2021, 4:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473

And let's not forget, if it did happen it would be the second time under the Principle Funder that we have avoided relegation from the EFL because of another club having points deducted.

What wonderful ambition from our beloved...pray on others to fail rather than prepare to succeed...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 107
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 8, 2021, 4:24pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

What wonderful ambition from our beloved...pray on others to fail rather than prepare to succeed...

I think you are massively overstating the Principle Funder's planning ability. More luck than judgement.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 107
MarinerDevil
April 8, 2021, 4:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,698
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from ginnywings
Is the timing anything to do with the new financial year starting over Easter?

Asking for a financial dunderhead.

Not a financial expert either but their chairman stated recently that they had paid their tax liabilities and PAYE for this year, rather than deferring them until next year like most other clubs (presumably including us) have.  So I don't expect this to be anything tax-related, at least at the club.  More likely that the group of businesses that Cowling owns has hit the rocks and adminstrators will look to liquidate part of the £26-30m held in Colchester, effectively putting the club into adminstration.  This could all just be horsewhack yet, is this ex-agent fella at all reliable?  I saw that someone posted the rumour in the #gtfc hashtag earlier in the morning so it might have legs.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 107
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Twitter rumour re administration

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.