RichMariner
April 6, 2021, 12:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Quoted from Norseman

I have been thinking how otherwise to spend my season ticket money. Can't go through another Hurst era in the NL

Yeah, it was hard watching the likes of McKeown, Shaun Pearson, Disley, Toto, Arnold, Nolan, Liam Hearn, Podge, Omar and the like play their hearts out, bang the goals in, give us great away days and deliver our first promotion in nearly two decades.

Non-league is a mental barrier for most.

It's still football at the end of the day. A division lower, but it's still Town, it's still BP and you still get to meet up with your family and friends and (hopefully) you'll see us win and score more often.

We might not like the names of our opposition (I don't relish playing Kings Lynn or Wealdstone) but hey, I never relished playing Morecambe, Forest Green or Cheltenham when I was growing up in the 90s. Yet here we are, playing these 'pub teams' in the Football League.

Let's roll with the punches. I can accept relegation if it means I can start going to games again, seeing friends and getting excited for match day. It'd be different if I was the only one, but knowing there'll be a few thousand of you mad nutters joining me is what makes it totally worthwile.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 30 - 54
lukeo
April 6, 2021, 7:26pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
Quoted from RichMariner

Yeah, it was hard watching the likes of McKeown, Shaun Pearson, Disley, Toto, Arnold, Nolan, Liam Hearn, Podge, Omar and the like play their hearts out, bang the goals in, give us great away days and deliver our first promotion in nearly two decades.

It's still football at the end of the day. A division lower, but it's still Town, it's still BP and you still get to meet up with your family and friends and (hopefully) you'll see us win and score more often.

We might not like the names of our opposition (I don't relish playing Kings Lynn or Wealdstone) but hey, I never relished playing Morecambe, Forest Green or Cheltenham when I was growing up in the 90s. Yet here we are, playing these 'pub teams' in the Football League.

Let's roll with the punches. I can accept relegation if it means I can start going to games again, seeing friends and getting excited for match day. It'd be different if I was the only one, but knowing there'll be a few thousand of you mad nutters joining me is what makes it totally worthwile.

Best post ive seen on the fishy for a long time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 54
Davec
April 6, 2021, 7:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from Les Brechin

That was definitely to most toxic atmosphere I have experienced at any Town away game in all my years following the Mariners. Was even worse than Burton atmosphere wise.

Toxic is one word for it Les! I don't think Hurst helped with the "spoilt" comment only a week before and nor did the team performance but Hurst got some really unnecessary stick that day, my overriding memory is off hundreds of fans all chanting "Hursty is a male masturbator" I was right in the middle of it and everywhere I turned all I could see was people chanting it, me and my brother couldn't believe it and that'll be a moment which will stick in my memory forever for the wrong reasons.

I get that fans were frustrated with Hurst's comment and the terrible team performance but we was still in the play offs!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 54
jaygy
April 6, 2021, 7:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
Other than the toxic atmosphere I just remember Gregor Robertson getting turned inside out everytime their players ran at him, I liked him as a bloke and a player but he was awful that day!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 54
Les Brechin
April 6, 2021, 7:40pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,702
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Davec

Toxic is one word for it Les! I don't think Hurst helped with the "spoilt" comment only a week before and nor did the team performance but Hurst got some really unnecessary stick that day, my overriding memory is off hundreds of fans all chanting "Hursty is a male masturbator" I was right in the middle of it and everywhere I turned all I could see was people chanting it, me and my brother couldn't believe it and that'll be a moment which will stick in my memory forever for the wrong reasons.

I get that fans were frustrated with Hurst's comment and the terrible team performance but we was still in the play offs!

That sticks in my mind too. I turned round to see a 30 something bloke chanting it. What made it worse though is that he had a young lad with him, no more than 12, I assume it was his son, who was chanting it at the top of his voice too!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 54
HertsGTFC
April 6, 2021, 8:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from RichMariner

This is exactly what I now feel like. I’d much rather go to a place like Eastleigh, Torquay, Kiddy or Woking where you’re made welcome than soulless places Colchester, Cheltenham, Stevenage etc.. where they just think we’re scum.

Sometimes I feel like In the time that we’ve been back in the EFL I have had more match days that I’ve not enjoyed than ones that I have. This is partly due to us being p1ss poor in the main and some of the lifeless places we have to visit.

I don’t want relegation as it sets us further back but if it’s inevitable I’ll make the most of it and try and get behind the team in the hope of an early return.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 54
HertsGTFC
April 6, 2021, 8:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Davec

And people wonder why he cupped his ear, a lease man would have chucked it after some of the stick he took.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 54
KingstonMariner
April 6, 2021, 10:31pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from HertsGTFC

This is exactly what I now feel like. I’d much rather go to a place like Eastleigh, Torquay, Kiddy or Woking where you’re made welcome than soulless places Colchester, Cheltenham, Stevenage etc.. where they just think we’re scum.

Sometimes I feel like In the time that we’ve been back in the EFL I have had more match days that I’ve not enjoyed than ones that I have. This is partly due to us being p1ss poor in the main and some of the lifeless places we have to visit.

I don’t want relegation as it sets us further back but if it’s inevitable I’ll make the most of it and try and get behind the team in the hope of an early return.

I take your point. Those three are places I also don’t like going to for various reasons. But then they are just some of the grounds in the League. I could say Orient, Luton, Exeter as a counter-balance.

We did have a good time visiting a lot of places in non-League though. And there is generally a more welcoming atmosphere.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 54
KingstonMariner
April 6, 2021, 10:33pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from HertsGTFC

And people wonder why he cupped his ear, a lease man would have chucked it after some of the stick he took.

Do you mean a ‘lessor’ man 😉.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 54
HertsGTFC
April 7, 2021, 2:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Do you mean a ‘lessor’ man 😉.

Indeed  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Trips in The National League

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.