DB
March 7, 2021, 6:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,876
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from kafunanapar140909

The consortium cannot have hired Hurst as they don't own the club - it is impossible. And yes, Hurst did leave the club due to Fenty's stinginess but that doesn't automatically mean he could never work for the club again - it wasn't a chickengate-level fallout. There are only so many jobs in professional football management, I'm sure he was more than happy for a club to hire him again. His records at Scunny and Ipswich were not good, but Ipswich was, at the time, in all sorts of turmoil (still is by some accounts) and Hurst isn't the first to have found working with Swann intolerable. Prior to those two, his record is excellent.

Yes, Hurst brought in pretty much all of this (current) team. As he said at the time, though, there are only so many players who would be willing to join a club at the wrong end of League Two. There's also a reason he only gave out short-term deals - regardless of whether we stayed up, many would not be here next season.

Fans post about tweets from the consortium because we're excited about their taking over. I'm looking forward to seeing the back of Fenty as much as the next Town fan but, as hard as it is, we just need to be patient.

One of us believes in Fairy Tales, it's not me.  

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 42
kafunanapar140909
March 7, 2021, 6:53pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +574
Gold Stars: 50
The idea that Hurst "took six years" to get us out of the National League is a little bit of a misnomer. Yes, it was not until 15/16 that we actually earned promotion, but, after an 11th-placed finish in his (and Scott's) first full season, we were straight into the play-offs in 12/13. We all know the cliche about the play-offs being a lottery, so we could have easily gone up that year. To get into the play-offs in four out of five full seasons, and four on the bounce, is a pretty good effort and shows that he knows how to *consistently* achieve results at that level.

I know that we'd love to see some free-flowing football at the same time but, personally, I'd rather just get out of the flipping league and surely a manager who has proven experience of that should be the way to go. Plus you'd like to think, with some progressive owners at the helm, we might take to non-league a little better than last time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 42
kafunanapar140909
March 7, 2021, 6:55pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +574
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from DB

One of us believes in Fairy Tales, it's not me.  

I think that reply means you've run out of "logical" arguments  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 42
psgmariner
March 7, 2021, 7:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
‘ We all know the cliche about the play-offs being a lottery,’

Yeah logic baby!

Private Message
Reply: 33 - 42
Garth
March 7, 2021, 7:09pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
The idea that Hurst "took six years" to get us out of the National League is a little bit of a misnomer. Yes, it was not until 15/16 that we actually earned promotion, but, after an 11th-placed finish in his (and Scott's) first full season, we were straight into the play-offs in 12/13. We all know the cliche about the play-offs being a lottery, so we could have easily gone up that year. To get into the play-offs in four out of five full seasons, and four on the bounce, is a pretty good effort and shows that he knows how to *consistently* achieve results at that level.

Best argument yet for hanging on to Hurst, whatever happens
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 42
pontoonlew
March 7, 2021, 7:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
Quoted from moosey_club
Hurst is Plan B isnt he ?

So technically we should be referring to Plan C as the next plan

Ironic that Hurst is plan b considering he never has one himself
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 42
fishcake63
March 7, 2021, 7:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.52
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,235
Gold Stars: 62
Can honestly say i'v been one of a few optimistic fans thinking we can climb out of trouble but if we lose at carlisle on tuesday & then again at home to colchester on saturday then it's national league for sure , the most dissapointing aspect for me is the league this year is tosh , how the f--k we ended up in this situation , think it could take us a few yrs again to get back as well !!!GUTTED
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 42
friskneymariner
March 7, 2021, 7:23pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Plan B Curtis Woodhouse  with Nathan Arnold as his assistant certainly bring some pride and passion back.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 42
arryarryarry
March 8, 2021, 12:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,939
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Garth

So only a 25% success rate of winning the play-offs?
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 42
Tommy
March 8, 2021, 1:29am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Garth

I didn't/don't have inside information on our or other teams budgets, but I would imagine we had a top 5 budget every year we were in the conference. Admittedly not the biggest budget (there was usually a Crawley/Fleetwood/Luton chucking money at it) but surely consistently a top 5/top 6 budget?

So therefore the expectancy would be to finish in the play-offs every year. Good managers achieve over and above expectations that are dictated by budgets or status - hence why league tables dont always just finish top-to-bottom exactly in line with budgets.

A competent manager, which I would've classed Hurst as until the last few months, would achieve around about where your budget dictates you should be. If we go down again, I'd rather have someone who will be able to over-achieve and win that division. Or at least threaten to.

One final point and one not specifically aimed at you Garth, as its a common cliche, but the play offs are not a lottery. The team who performs best and is more effective throughout the play off competition wins promotion. Labelling them as a lottery is what managers who aren't successful in them do.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Plan B

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.