5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Grimsbynewhope
March 7, 2021, 5:00pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 1
Hurst has always been a manager that has been expected to work within a low budget, even at Ipswich he had to get rid of his best and highest paid players and replaced them with ones that cost less. Like the majority of supporters I spoke to Hurst was generally thought of as someone who had a chance of getting us out of the s hit we were left in by runaway and the usual suspects. Never been a fan of Hursts football but think he’s doing his best. As for replacing the management now, who do you really expect us to be able to attract.maybe we should just try to get behind the team until the end of the season and hope miracles really do happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 42
kafunanapar140909
March 7, 2021, 5:34pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +575
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from DB

Not at all, but that's all I'm left with. Apply what logic you like to the current situation and as the saying goes it defies logic.

On the pitch no sensible tactics, take attacking midfielder off and bring on a full back who's been crap. Bring on Green who hasn't played in the first team for weeks. Play a 10 man defence and it's not working.

Look at what's happening in the boardroom, nothing. What do the consortium say, nothing.

Nothing is happening, so what are you left with?

I can’t stand this conspiratorial nonsense. The kind of “logic” that suggests prospective new owners would rather own a non-league club than a League Two club is the same used by people who think the moon landings never happened.

First, the consortium cannot have hired Hurst as they do not own the club. They might have had a say and given their approval, but they cannot have hired him. Second, whilst Hurst has good knowledge of non-league, he also has good knowledge of the FL; he has enjoyed success at both levels. Third, in no way are Hurst’s tactics “designed to get us relegated” – we just have rubbish players. He brought Bunney on against FGR because Bunney plays all up the left side, including up front. We haven’t seen him play anywhere other than LB, plus he wears No. 3, so people understandably assumed Hurst replaced El Miz with another defender. I have no issue with his tactics against FGR – again, we just have rubbish players.

The consortium have not said anything since they released a statement saying “we’re not going to release any more statements until the deal has gone through”. They are simply doing what they said they would. Buying a football club is not like picking up a pint of milk from the corner shop – it’s going to take time.

I appreciate that you, and most others, are itching to see the back of Fenty because the club was in a right state long before Hurst arrived. The club was in a right state before even Holloway arrived. Fenty has turned this club from a good League One club which punches above its weight whenever we get into the second tier to a “good” National League club which struggles to stay in the FL. His stewardship is where the blame should ultimately fall.

Personally, I’d like to see Hurst given a chance to build the club again, though I am sympathetic to the view that we should have a total clear out and start again from scratch in the summer.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 42
rancido
March 7, 2021, 5:45pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,534
Gold Stars: 96
I think Hursts' Plan B has to persist with a settled side based on yesterdays performance. The longer a starting eleven play as a unit then the greater the chance that they will gel.Our survival as a league team looks bleak but I haven't given up hope but Hurst has to stop chopping and changing just to counteract the opposition. I know it sounds laughable but let them worry about us ! If you know the oppositions strengths then coach your team to negate that .

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 42
arryarryarry
March 7, 2021, 5:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Grimsbynewhope
Hurst has always been a manager that has been expected to work within a low budget, even at Ipswich he had to get rid of his best and highest paid players and replaced them with ones that cost less. Like the majority of supporters I spoke to Hurst was generally thought of as someone who had a chance of getting us out of the s hit we were left in by runaway and the usual suspects. Never been a fan of Hursts football but think he’s doing his best. As for replacing the management now, who do you really expect us to be able to attract.maybe we should just try to get behind the team until the end of the season and hope miracles really do happen.

I have said before I am sure there are plenty of out of work ex League or up and coming Non League managers that would love to manage a club like Town.

Let's not forget we have just employed a manager that was sacked from his last two clubs.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 42
DB
March 7, 2021, 6:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,976
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from kafunanapar140909

I can’t stand this conspiratorial nonsense. The kind of “logic” that suggests prospective new owners would rather own a non-league club than a League Two club is the same used by people who think the moon landings never happened.

First, the consortium cannot have hired Hurst as they do not own the club. They might have had a say and given their approval, but they cannot have hired him. Second, whilst Hurst has good knowledge of non-league, he also has good knowledge of the FL; he has enjoyed success at both levels. Third, in no way are Hurst’s tactics “designed to get us relegated” – we just have rubbish players. He brought Bunney on against FGR because Bunney plays all up the left side, including up front. We haven’t seen him play anywhere other than LB, plus he wears No. 3, so people understandably assumed Hurst replaced El Miz with another defender. I have no issue with his tactics against FGR – again, we just have rubbish players.

The consortium have not said anything since they released a statement saying “we’re not going to release any more statements until the deal has gone through”. They are simply doing what they said they would. Buying a football club is not like picking up a pint of milk from the corner shop – it’s going to take time.

I appreciate that you, and most others, are itching to see the back of Fenty because the club was in a right state long before Hurst arrived. The club was in a right state before even Holloway arrived. Fenty has turned this club from a good League One club which punches above its weight whenever we get into the second tier to a “good” National League club which struggles to stay in the FL. His stewardship is where the blame should ultimately fall.

Personally, I’d like to see Hurst given a chance to build the club again, though I am sympathetic to the view that we should have a total clear out and start again from scratch in the summer.

According to most reports Hurst left Town because of Fenty being tight, the porta cabin fiasco being his las straw. So it is highly unlikely Hurst came back for JF. As you correctly say the consortium do not own the club so who did employ Hurst?  

Hurst was ok with Town and Shrews but not so good at Ipswich and Scunny, so his CV is not as glowing as you make out.

Theirs nothing wrong with his tactics you say, but the players. You forgot it is Hurst who brought the players to the club so effectively you are saying he brought rubbish players in, but of course according to you it's not Hurst fault. Who's fault is it then?

You said the consortium said “we’re not going to release any more statements until the deal has gone through”. So why are fans on here posting about tweets from them?

I am not thinking of any type of conspiracy plot, but I am passionately concerned about the position town are in. Their is no leadership on or off the field. How many captains has Hurst used in 10 games? The club is adrift, literally, with nobody at the helm . Hurst has a 18 month contract and as I've posted with the exception of JLL he has given a log term contract to anybody else.

Looking at the facts, and not our thoughts, is their another conclusion

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 42
DB
March 7, 2021, 6:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
The one point I did raise that nobody seems to have an answer to is about Hursts appointment. Was their anyone else or was he the man?

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 42
Grimsbynewhope
March 7, 2021, 6:21pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 1
The last game we actually looked like the beginning of a team, yeah forest green were on a bad run but they are a a top 4 team and they had to resort to diving and throwing themselves on the floor to get past us. You could try another manager but they’d have to hit the ground running and could you guarantee they’d do any better than now. Nothing is certain in football, who knows we might go unbeaten for the next 10 or lose all of them all we can do is try and get behind the team we have and hope our cards not already marked
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 42
Humbercod
March 7, 2021, 6:41pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,494
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from rancido
I think Hursts' Plan B has to persist with a settled side based on yesterdays performance. The longer a starting eleven play as a unit then the greater the chance that they will gel.Our survival as a league team looks bleak but I haven't given up hope but Hurst has to stop chopping and changing just to counteract the opposition. I know it sounds laughable but let them worry about us ! If you know the oppositions strengths then coach your team to negate that .

This was an ongoing theme all those years in the conference, I don’t expect nothing to change.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 42
DB
March 7, 2021, 6:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Humbercod

This was an ongoing theme all those years in the conference, I don’t expect nothing to change.

1 win,1 draw and 4 points in the next 10 games

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 42
kafunanapar140909
March 7, 2021, 6:47pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +575
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from DB

According to most reports Hurst left Town because of Fenty being tight, the porta cabin fiasco being his las straw. So it is highly unlikely Hurst came back for JF. As you correctly say the consortium do not own the club so who did employ Hurst?  

Hurst was ok with Town and Shrews but not so good at Ipswich and Scunny, so his CV is not as glowing as you make out.

Theirs nothing wrong with his tactics you say, but the players. You forgot it is Hurst who brought the players to the club so effectively you are saying he brought rubbish players in, but of course according to you it's not Hurst fault. Who's fault is it then?

You said the consortium said “we’re not going to release any more statements until the deal has gone through”. So why are fans on here posting about tweets from them?

I am not thinking of any type of conspiracy plot, but I am passionately concerned about the position town are in. Their is no leadership on or off the field. How many captains has Hurst used in 10 games? The club is adrift, literally, with nobody at the helm . Hurst has a 18 month contract and as I've posted with the exception of JLL he has given a log term contract to anybody else.

Looking at the facts, and not our thoughts, is their another conclusion

The consortium cannot have hired Hurst as they don't own the club - it is impossible. And yes, Hurst did leave the club due to Fenty's stinginess but that doesn't automatically mean he could never work for the club again - it wasn't a chickengate-level fallout. There are only so many jobs in professional football management, I'm sure he was more than happy for a club to hire him again. His records at Scunny and Ipswich were not good, but Ipswich was, at the time, in all sorts of turmoil (still is by some accounts) and Hurst isn't the first to have found working with Swann intolerable. Prior to those two, his record is excellent.

Yes, Hurst brought in pretty much all of this (current) team. As he said at the time, though, there are only so many players who would be willing to join a club at the wrong end of League Two. There's also a reason he only gave out short-term deals - regardless of whether we stayed up, many would not be here next season.

Fans post about tweets from the consortium because we're excited about their taking over. I'm looking forward to seeing the back of Fenty as much as the next Town fan but, as hard as it is, we just need to be patient.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Plan B

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.