3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
DB
March 5, 2021, 10:31am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.55
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,880
Gold Stars: 383
It's that time of the week again, the day before the game. All negatives have been debated and nothing resolved, so it's time to look to positives.

FGR haven't the best defence as they let 3 in against Stevenage, Southend and Oldham in recent matches so If Hursty gets his formation and tactics right then who knows. Talking of Hurst, in or out, he's still our manager so their is no Dave Moore in temporary charge.

I wonder if we were able to go to BP what we fans would say on the way into and in the ground. I don't think regardless of how bad this last week has been that we would talk of getting beat. Even the most pessimist would turn up hoping for a draw, so when I just looked at the prediction thread 16 out 20 went for a defeat, 3 for a draw and yours truly a win.

Their was a thread about supporters and supporters we are, many posts about getting behind Hurst so why the negativity. Both Barrow and Southend are within reaching distance so we have not been cast adrift. Their are positives if you take the blinkers of so once again I am feeling positively optimistic about the game. Their is  lot to look forward to on Saturday. A good result will send us on our way to stating up.

UTM

EDIT  14.45

Somebody else predicted a win that's a 100% improvement, optimistically positive

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
ginnywings
March 5, 2021, 11:11am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
The way you swerve from Hurst out three days ago to the sudden positivity, it's more like that time of the month.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
DB
March 5, 2021, 11:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Well Ginny as the song says 'Always look on the bright side of life. I try before the game, you never know and as Saint and Greavsie use to say funny old game.

I can never think before a game that we'll loose; otherwise why support them.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
Madeleymariner
March 5, 2021, 11:41am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
Lets be positive they have a flakey defence shipping goals, so we will prob turn out with an 8-1-1 formation again  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
March 5, 2021, 12:09pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from DB
Well Ginny as the song says 'Always look on the bright side of life. I try before the game, you never know and as Saint and Greavsie use to say funny old game.

I can never think before a game that we'll loose; otherwise why support them.

I find it highly amusing that you should choose that particular song.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
KingstonMariner
March 5, 2021, 12:40pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
False positivity soon crumbles when faced with a setback. Look how everyone who said we need to be positive folded as soon as the match started.

I often feel trepidation about the performance before a game. In fact I can’t remember not feeling that way for 4 years. We always can win the game but honest opinion is I don’t think that will happen.

Having positive thoughts doesn’t do any good unless we’re in the stadium and able to vocalise that positivity. Or has someone discovered that the collective thought waves go through the internet and somehow re-emerge at the pitch.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
RonMariner
March 5, 2021, 12:48pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,008
Gold Stars: 216
I normally delude myself into thinking we must be about to turn the corner form wise.

My optimism normally survives until a hour before kick off when the team is announced.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
sonofmadeleymariner
March 5, 2021, 1:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
If we can get Hooper to score a hatrick against them surely one of our current lot can at least get us a consolation goal this week

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
KingstonMariner
March 5, 2021, 1:34pm
Meths Drinker
I believe Hooper went on to have a decent scoring record after he left us.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
sonofmadeleymariner
March 5, 2021, 1:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I believe Hooper went on to have a decent scoring record after he left us.

Yes once he'd found his level in the none league

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
KingstonMariner
March 5, 2021, 1:41pm
Meths Drinker

Yes once he'd found his level in the none league

Nitpicker 😂

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
psgmariner
March 5, 2021, 2:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
Time of the week to check the odds on town losing then working out how much money I can afford to be without till 5pm.

Private Message
Reply: 11 - 24
Zmariner
March 5, 2021, 3:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,067
Gold Stars: 43
Hooray, I have just received a mail from the EFL to complete a survey and if I am lucky I could win a Grimsby town shirt. Alas Maybe not, the Mrs  said to me last night, Your hat is inside out as I took the dog for a walk. I explained it was my Grimsby hat and I was too ashamed to be seen wearing it.
Even when I go out and it is inside out, this can only be at night as there is always the danger of it falling off my strangely shaped head.
She then realised why my Grimsby town coat was also filed in the cupboard and my Grimsby calendar discarded as well. I too will have a punt on Forest Green Rovers. The truth is I would be thrilled to lose my money Laughing at this pitiful season is all that I can do with it now .I am sure it will be the same scenario watching the game tomorrow, “is that 37 minutes played without a shot”
Does Bunny play for us?
I hope we can only keep it to one at half time utm
Gallows humour, I would sell my soul for a victory and an average performance tomorrow, utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 24
psgmariner
March 5, 2021, 3:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
Me too mate. Gallows humour is all that’s left. That and taking joy in the suffering of others (thank you Liverpool).

Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
forza ivano
March 5, 2021, 4:55pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,136
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from psgmariner
Time of the week to check the odds on town losing then working out how much money I can afford to be without till 5pm.

unfortunately the bookies are growing wise to us. Best you can get with Betfred and William Hill is a miserly 17-20. Still any guarenteed profit is welcome!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
KingstonMariner
March 5, 2021, 5:11pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Zmariner
Hooray, I have just received a mail from the EFL to complete a survey and if I am lucky I could win a Grimsby town shirt. Alas Maybe not, the Mrs  said to me last night, Your hat is inside out as I took the dog for a walk. I explained it was my Grimsby hat and I was too ashamed to be seen wearing it.
Even when I go out and it is inside out, this can only be at night as there is always the danger of it falling off my strangely shaped head.
She then realised why my Grimsby town coat was also filed in the cupboard and my Grimsby calendar discarded as well. I too will have a punt on Forest Green Rovers. The truth is I would be thrilled to lose my money Laughing at this pitiful season is all that I can do with it now .I am sure it will be the same scenario watching the game tomorrow, “is that 37 minutes played without a shot”
Does Bunny play for us?
I hope we can only keep it to one at half time utm
Gallows humour, I would sell my soul for a victory and an average performance tomorrow, utm

And at least when you can go to the match you can share the gallows humour with someone else.

By the way, a businessman called B.L. Zebub would like to talk to you about that deal you offered.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 24
Abdul19
March 5, 2021, 6:01pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Quoted from forza ivano

unfortunately the bookies are growing wise to us.

Almost like the team is getting shitter and shitter  

(17/20 still sounds good though, tbf)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 24
DB
March 5, 2021, 6:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I started this thread because before every match I try to think of something positive, a light at the end of tunnel. a new beginning something to cling onto. I am as peed of as every other fan on this site but after the post match days of the last defeats, debated ,I have to cling onto straw which is all I have.

Positive eternal optimism some may say. But as a supporter what else can you do. At the last count only 3 predicted a win.

If we were in BP would you boo the players as they come out or cheer! or reserve judgement till the match is in progress. Would you go to the ground predicting a defeat or a draw.. You certainly wouldn't pay good money saying to those around you I going to watch a defeat . So why do it on here. I know Town have been crap and I have said so.

Something different for a change as we cannot get into BP. Why go to BP before the game and cheer/applaud the players as they arrive. At least they would know how you feel and give them a sense of how we feel. According to the Police you can exercise where ever you want!

Now I know, not on purpose ,that I irk many of you with my blunt optimism but if you feel passion for Town you have to show it before the game. If the result doesn't go our way then say so afterwards.

To help those who don't agree with me xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To be honest I don't care too hoots about red cross, but I do care about Town and so should every supporter before a game.

Up The Mariners

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
Northbank Mariner
March 5, 2021, 6:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from DB
I started this thread because before every match I try to think of something positive, a light at the end of tunnel. a new beginning something to cling onto. I am as peed of as every other fan on this site but after the post match days of the last defeats, debated ,I have to cling onto straw which is all I have.

Positive eternal optimism some may say. But as a supporter what else can you do. At the last count only 3 predicted a win.

If we were in BP would you boo the players as they come out or cheer! or reserve judgement till the match is in progress. Would you go to the ground predicting a defeat or a draw.. You certainly wouldn't pay good money saying to those around you I going to watch a defeat . So why do it on here. I know Town have been crap and I have said so.

Something different for a change as we cannot get into BP. Why go to BP before the game and cheer/applaud the players as they arrive. At least they would know how you feel and give them a sense of how we feel. According to the Police you can exercise where ever you want!

Now I know, not on purpose ,that I irk many of you with my blunt optimism but if you feel passion for Town you have to show it before the game. If the result doesn't go our way then say so afterwards.

To help those who don't agree with me xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To be honest I don't care too hoots about red cross, but I do care about Town and so should every supporter before a game.

Up The Mariners

Red wines kicked in then🤣🤣🤣
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 24
moosey_club
March 5, 2021, 7:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from psgmariner
Me too mate. Gallows humour is all that’s left. That and taking joy in the suffering of others (thank you Liverpool).

With our luck the gallows would break leaving us all still living to carry on suffering

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
Eastendmariner
March 5, 2021, 7:41pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 22
Lighting a candle to the Footballing Gods as we speak hoping for a corner or even dare I say it a shot on Goal

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 24
louth_in_the_south
March 5, 2021, 8:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,549
Gold Stars: 94
All this negativity almost guarantees 3 points

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
RonMariner
March 6, 2021, 10:37am

Special Brew Drinker
It's the hope that kills you.

Here we go again.......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
marinerdazza
March 6, 2021, 10:43am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,593
Gold Stars: 80
Normally at this point the negativity from the last game has disappeared and I start thinking that we could do it.

Not today. Tuesday was my tipping point. Resigned to relegation.

UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
RonMariner
March 6, 2021, 11:59am

Special Brew Drinker
This dreadful season is a form of slow death. It's horrendous. But at least my time following Town has had more ups than downs.

I started going regularly at the start of the 1971-72 season, still the most exciting season I can remember. That swashbuckling team with Tees, Brace, Boylen and Worthington et al might just have stepped down from Mount Olympus so godlike were they to my young eyes.

There was a dip in the late seventies but then the Joe Waters inspired team with local heroes Ford, Mooore, Drinkell and the rest arrived. For my money the best Town team we have seen in my lifetime. With a spot of luck they might well have made it top the top division.

Another dip in the late 80's and then it was the start of the Buckley era.

Ok, it's been slim pickings since 2003, but I cant complain. I have experienced three separate periods of success. My hope is to experience a fourth under the new owners.

The current nightmare is temporary and, I believe, will soon have run it's course.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › That Time of the Week

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.