Why do good players become bad

This thread currently has 3,905 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 5, 2021, 9:21am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,192
Gold Stars: 291
Quoted from RonMariner

It's incredible.

Who would have thought this would happen at the end of last season?

And he took Salah off when they were 1 down........it is a joy to watch.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
livosnose
March 5, 2021, 10:59am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,159
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from HerveJosse
Welcome . A worrying feature for me is that within the huge number of players we have signed this season we have signed a few who are clearly good players who start well and then four or five games later look poor. Examples are Windsor under Holloway and Matete and Adams under Hurst. This would suggest that whatever the underlying problems are within the club they haven’t been sold by a change of manager.

Motivation ? Desire ? Sean Scanell still thinks he’s at Palace according to his Instagram account . The glory days as opposed to not getting a game at a team bottom of the league !

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
nightrider
March 5, 2021, 11:17am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from livosnose

Motivation ? Desire ? Sean Scanell still thinks he’s at Palace according to his Instagram account . The glory days as opposed to not getting a game at a team bottom of the league !

Good question this.
I think you've hit the nail on the head livo.
People always going on about how it's hard to attract players to grimsby
It probably is harder unless they're from the area. But give them the best contract and they'll come, as we've seen with some of Holloway signings
It doesn't mean they want to be here though does it!!
I'm sure lots of players we've had have gone through the motions until their contracts are up or they're paid off

Mind you,  Sean scannell has not long turned 30 - his career as a professional footballer seems to be over? Well over

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
Rick12
March 5, 2021, 11:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Why do good players become bad?.

I think certain players need to feel loved for them to do well. I think Fernando Torres summed it up before he signed for  Liverpool in a documentary on Amazon prime . Said he felt the club was like one big family and knew he would do for well for them which he did. At Chelsea different aura about the place. Didnt have the history of Liverpool and the quick riches  of Roman Abramovich further added to that. The environment didn't suit Torres when he went to the blues and his form dipped.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
Ruston AT
March 5, 2021, 11:50am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +428
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from ginnywings

Yep, the surroundings and facilities are dismal. It didn't matter so much in the past when most grounds were old and dilapidated but players expect better now.

"Expect better " you say, with the greatest respect if these players we have recruited were any good they wouldn't be here.          January transfer window is notorious for clubs to off load players they think don't suit the relevant team they play for.

All we can hope for is that PH gets a lot more effort  out of what we've got.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
Kris2
March 5, 2021, 12:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
I'm sure it's a combination of many factors. We've all had jobs we don't quite look forward to going to and some we do, some players do better under a certain manager maybe their coaching methods just suits them more. Some gel with certain clubs and enjoy playing there in general be it the area, club atmosphere, fans and so on. For some the motivation is simply money and good bonuses, Sam Jones did well for us and apparently had high bonuses on his contract that eventually led to us shipping him off. Went to Shrews, lost all self confidence and is now barely motivated in non-league.

I don't think a losing atmosphere helps, players lose confidence, don't want to be blamed for mistakes or missed chances and you can see it in a relegation bound team. Derby's doomed Premiership season due to poor recruitment is a good example of this, players said they remember looking at fixtures and feeling fear. If you don't think you have much chance of winning you're not going to play with much confidence in a game that's as important as a league game. In a cup game when nobody expects you to win against a big team you can just enjoy it but a game with expectation is different. Lack of confidence leads to lack of motivation and you'll see players going through motions, not chasing every ball and nobody taking the ball and trying to make something happen/get on the end of balls. They already gave up from the start so they don't have that extra spring in their step and nobody wants the ball.  
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
March 5, 2021, 2:44pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +827
Gold Stars: 117
A team is only as strong as its weakest player. If the opponents continually exploit that then we are on a hiding to nothing every time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
livosnose
March 5, 2021, 5:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,159
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from nightrider

Good question this.
I think you've hit the nail on the head livo.
People always going on about how it's hard to attract players to grimsby
It probably is harder unless they're from the area. But give them the best contract and they'll come, as we've seen with some of Holloway signings
It doesn't mean they want to be here though does it!!
I'm sure lots of players we've had have gone through the motions until their contracts are up or they're paid off

Mind you,  Sean scannell has not long turned 30 - his career as a professional footballer seems to be over? Well over

In his defence I thijk it could be consistently no luck with injuries that have contributed to his spiral down the leagues.

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
Stew0_0
March 5, 2021, 5:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,207
Gold Stars: 35
Its all to do with staying in form and performing well.
It was only a few months ago Pollock was our best player and seemingly heading for the championship now hes struggling to stay in a matchday squad. The best players are at 85% each game. Unfortunately at the level we play at, those players are hard to come by or move up the pyramid quickly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
malkamalka
March 5, 2021, 7:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Kris2
I'm sure it's a combination of many factors. Lack of confidence leads to lack of motivation .  

It is alarming though how quickly that confidence has been drained - barely 6 weeks in some cases.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Why do good players become bad

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.