Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › How much will relegation cost?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 191 Guests

How much will relegation cost?

This thread currently has 3,967 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
ROKERITE
March 2, 2021, 9:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +414
Gold Stars: 5
Does anyone know what the difference would be financially between staying in League Two and dropping into The National League?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Green27
March 2, 2021, 9:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +15 / -6
Approval: +888
Gold Stars: 12
It cost us roughly £4.5m last time round in lost fees from the EFL.

We do the DN35 Podcast
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 20
DocDock
March 2, 2021, 9:42pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +235
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Green27

Maybe more so now what with the current COVID situation
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 20
ROKERITE
March 2, 2021, 9:48pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +414
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Green27

Right, then drastic action now is required. The uncertainty over ownership is a big problem. If the new consortium are in control then approach the Cowleys with a £1,000,000 bonus for avoiding relegation. The Cowleys might not be interested. The Cowleys might not succeed. But surely trying something dramatic is preferable to this sluggish slide out of the league with the feckless Hurst!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 20
promotion plaice
March 2, 2021, 9:49pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,956
Gold Stars: 189

The Parachute Payments have increased since we last got relegated.

If we can get back inside 2 seasons it shouldn't cost us too much.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 20
Yoda
March 2, 2021, 9:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +4 / -20
Approval: -2,976
Gold Stars: 65
half a million a year on tv money

Plus who will buy a season ticket for this dross.?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 20
DB
March 2, 2021, 9:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.55
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,871
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from ROKERITE

Right, then drastic action now is required. The uncertainty over ownership is a big problem. If the new consortium are in control then approach the Cowleys with a £1,000,000 bonus for avoiding relegation. The Cowleys might not be interested. The Cowleys might not succeed. But surely trying something dramatic is preferable to this sluggish slide out of the league with the feckless Hurst!

Brilliant idea and I'm all for it, but Fenty still owns the club probably till near the end of the month and at least 5 more games gone. Fenty will not be spending £1 million and neither will the consortium on something they don't own .

Like I said a brilliant idea. Just need leadership on and of the field which is not there.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 20
Zmariner
March 2, 2021, 10:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,067
Gold Stars: 43
I think the season-ticket sales will be the problem. For those of us that bought season tickets this season I suspect they will have to offer some sort of sweetener because as it stands at the moment the prospect of watching Dover Solihull and friends it’s not appealing. After this another problem when diehard season ticket holders like me do not buy a season ticket who will be inclined to fork out the thick end of £20 to Watch these games. I can only see that they will have to heavily discount everything to get people through the door and gamble on this. If you make it cheap enough I will go, otherwise I will take in the games that interest me and as soon as we are not challenging I will not attend at all.
I will follow on the radio but the years and years of going down to Blundell Park are close to an end. It has not been enjoyable for some years now and it is a habit rather than a hobby, utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 20
LouthMariner
March 2, 2021, 11:44pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +104
Gold Stars: 3
I had read somewhere that the parachute payments are 100% first season, 50% 2nd. Better than they were when we went down.

The problem is that I don't think we would get any money for our youth set up. Woodsy is doing a fantastic job with them but a lot of that money comes from EFL.

On the flip side attendances might actually increase as people want to watch a winning side, although no guarantee on winning more, but I bloody hope we would. Wages will be lower and some of the kids we signed in the summer on low wages would stay and become the future of Town. Just don't think I would want Hurst to have the job getting us back out, it took too long last time, need someone more attack minded to bring the enjoyment back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 20
KingstonMariner
March 4, 2021, 3:11am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ROKERITE

It would also save us money getting relegated as the wage bill will be lower. So that idea of spending big now to avoid losing more is based on an incorrect assessment.

Hurst isn't my favourite manager but he's hardly feckless. A bit negative maybe, looking to counter the opposition all the time and not play to our strengths (not that we appear to have any at the moment).

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 20
arryarryarry
March 4, 2021, 5:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from KingstonMariner

It would also save us money getting relegated as the wage bill will be lower. So that idea of spending big now to avoid losing more is based on an incorrect assessment.

Hurst isn't my favourite manager but he's hardly feckless. A bit negative maybe, looking to counter the opposition all the time and not play to our strengths (not that we appear to have any at the moment).

I see at is two options if we go down, continue in the same was as IH did, buy more for less money and as both IH and PH have done buy older/injury prone players likely looking for a last payday on lower salaries who struggle to play a couple of games in a row.

Or if we want to get back at the first attempt then I would suggest that we may have to pay higher salaries for better quality players.

Also would EFL clubs higher up the ladder want to loan good players out to the National League so that we wont be able to rely on these players boosting our squad.

Private Message
Reply: 10 - 20
Swansea_Mariner
March 4, 2021, 8:04am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,386
Gold Stars: 62
Hopefully we have a real crack at promotion first time. A lot of clubs down there are going to be in a financial mess so with 100% parachute funding we should go all out for promotion.

Wrexham will be the issue in terms of whether their movie star owners are going to spend big.

I'd like to hope we can keep the academy, especially so given the number of players its been producing maybe given the new owners community focus they will explore all avenues to maintain its operation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 20
louth_in_the_south
March 4, 2021, 10:16am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94
Keeping the academy going should be a priority not signing crap players on their way down

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 20
jamesgtfc
March 4, 2021, 10:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
It's such a tough league to get out of. Will fans even be in grounds at the start of next season? Lockdown ends in June apparently but furlough has been extended until September.

I'm at the point where I don't even want to listen to it.

Whatever level we are at I think we will be a more attractive proposition in the summer. January is always tough to sign players but we were deep in a relegation fight with a squad of 40 players and midway through a takeover so a huge cloud of uncertainty hanging over our heads.

If the players are crossing that white line without a care in the world we really are screwed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 20
Azimuth
March 4, 2021, 10:58am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 58
Regardless of league, with Hurst here it will cost the club at lest one season ticket, mine, I would only go to games on an ad hoc basis, going to the match should be am afternoon or evening of entertainment and seeing a team at the very least trying to win, not misery and negativity from a unmotivated squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 20
diehardmariner
March 4, 2021, 11:03am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,095
Gold Stars: 520
Hurst has never really excited me as a manager, I found his style dull and predictable during his first reign.  To be honest I always felt he kept too tight a hold on the lead for too long, especially when he seemed to be able to bring in really exciting and attack minded players.

But I wouldn't judge his style on what we're seeing now.  Whilst these are 'his' players now, I doubt these are the players he would have brought in during a normal transfer window or even a summer of recruitment.  It's got a bit of a feel of what he could bring in rather than a real methodical approach to things.    Even his tactics, it's needs must isn't it?   As defensive minded as he was during his first spell, I can't remember him ever going 5 at the back at home.  

Whatever league we're in next season, I don't envisage our approach will under Hurst will be anything like what we're seeing now.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 20
TownSNAFU5
March 4, 2021, 12:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41

Oue sanity and stress levels would be at risk in NL again.  Expectations for success (automatic promotion) would be sky high.

If we go down then we will be seen as a big fish in a big stadium with seats.   Some teams will park the bus at BP.  They will see the game as their cup-final and will raise their game.

We will create plenty of chances that are squandered.  We will not have (or show) the guile and creativity to break down a stubborn defence.  

Fans will get very frustrated if we draw or even lose.  Comments such as "we should be beating the likes of...............".
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 20
arryarryarry
March 4, 2021, 4:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Keeping the academy going should be a priority not signing crap players on their way down

No point if Hurst remains, he was always reluctant to play the younger players if I remember the sad, bad old days of Non League.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 20
lew chaterleys lover
March 4, 2021, 5:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,549
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from arryarryarry

No point if Hurst remains, he was always reluctant to play the younger players if I remember the sad, bad old days of Non League.

Good point. When you think of all the young players here when he recently arrived, he did not like the look of any of them. He got his own young players in who are no better, but they are "his."

This is always the case with young players, or any players really, the manager either rates you or he doesn't. Every manager in future will look at the young players nurtured by the club for years, and say, nah, they are not what I need. It is all based on the whim of the manager at the time.

If the club policy was to play young players from the Youth set up, and a long term manager bought into that philosophy then great, but the chances of that happening are remote.

This current crop of youngsters will go the same way as nearly all the others - they will be released without pulling on a first-team shirt. Even those that do make it through (usually picked up from other clubs at a certain age) will be jettisoned if the manager at the time does not like the look of them - I reckon this will happen with Pollock with Hurst.  
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 20
FishOutOfWater
March 4, 2021, 5:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37

Good point. When you think of all the young players here when he recently arrived, he did not like the look of any of them. He got his own young players in who are no better, but they are "his."

This is always the case with young players, or any players really, the manager either rates you or he doesn't. Every manager in future will look at the young players nurtured by the club for years, and say, nah, they are not what I need. It is all based on the whim of the manager at the time.

If the club policy was to play young players from the Youth set up, and a long term manager bought into that philosophy then great, but the chances of that happening are remote.

This current crop of youngsters will go the same way as nearly all the others - they will be released without pulling on a first-team shirt. Even those that do make it through (usually picked up from other clubs at a certain age) will be jettisoned if the manager at the time does not like the look of them - I reckon this will happen with Pollock with Hurst.  

If only that Premier League club had come in before to snap him up before Hurst got the chance to jetison him eh? 😐
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 20
KingstonMariner
March 4, 2021, 6:20pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from arryarryarry

I see at is two options if we go down, continue in the same was as IH did, buy more for less money and as both IH and PH have done buy older/injury prone players likely looking for a last payday on lower salaries who struggle to play a couple of games in a row.

Or if we want to get back at the first attempt then I would suggest that we may have to pay higher salaries for better quality players.

Also would EFL clubs higher up the ladder want to loan good players out to the National League so that we wont be able to rely on these players boosting our squad.

I agree. We should go all out for a tight squad of the best quality. Commit all the parachute payment money. Two year contracts with options for a third if we get promoted. Hopefully there won’t be too many of the current squad on contracts that take them beyond this season.

That extra £200k that Fenty wheedled out of the Trust would come in handy. Knock it off the sale price.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 20
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › How much will relegation cost?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.