Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 359 Guests

Hurst Out

This thread currently has 28,884 views. Print
23 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 Next All Recommend Thread
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 4, 2021, 3:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +6,990
Gold Stars: 285
Quoted from Zmariner

Any chance that she will be fit to play up front on Saturday?

Ha! A fox in the box....

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 223
DB
March 4, 2021, 4:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,872
Gold Stars: 383

Even if Hurst was sacked the Cowley's wouldn't come here. They're sat on their pay off from Huddersfield and will be waiting for an opportunity to take on a bigger club (than us) that will be relatively easy to put on an upward trajectory.

Ask them how much, and then when.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 223
arryarryarry
March 4, 2021, 4:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from devs
I think the fact there has been no manager bounce says a helluva lot more about squad than PH
Listen/read about most of 2016 team and how much they wanted to play for PH - they were a great bunch of pros

He's inherited a excrement show - and the work he is doing now should be done in the summer/early part of a season
EG: Players gelling/systems etc

He's having to do it in the face of relegation threat

I am a big PH fan - but think he defo got it wrong Tuesday and we should always play with two up top
The ball didn't stick - I think Payne was one of the 'not trying' too hard he referred to - hence the ball just keeps coming back wave after wave

We do need to 'keep us shape' but part of that is two up top

sadly, I think it's all too little too late to save us

The thing is he has virtually got rid of the so called excrement show and brought in 11 new players some he already knew.

Sadly the players he has brought in are looking worse than some he refuses to play and added to that playing one up front and probably hoping to hang on and snatch a win is just stupid as our defence just isn't good enough to go 90 minutes without conceding in most ganes. Plus he is now suggesting some of the players he has brought in are not up for the fight.

He has clearly got his recruitment and tactics wrong and must change starting Saturday.

Some say it is mad "rolling the dice" on a new manager but we are taking a huge risk letting him stay and continue in the way he has so far.

Let's not forget just how bad it was under Holloway but currently we are performing worse under Hurst.

Plus if you think it is too late for him to save us, why not just give someone else a try.
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 223
MarinerDevil
March 4, 2021, 4:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,635
Gold Stars: 78
It's been mentioned on this thread and others that we should have been buying players in January.  I was under the impression that we weren't permitted to pay any transfer fees this season under the terms of the Premier League bailout, we could only sign free agents or Bosmans (or loans of course).  Someone will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong.  

So Hurst was extemely limited in who he could sign and he, by and large, went for players he thought he could trust, eg Payne and LJL who helped his Shrewsbury side stay up.  

If we were to sack him, we'd have to fall back on Davies and Moore realistically.  We've got a much better chance under Hurst, no doubt about that for me.

ps Those who keep calling for the Cowleys are utterly deluded over our relative status.  

**EDIT**
Sources:
https://eminetra.co.uk/leagues.....250m-bailout/143100/
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sp.....-free-transfers.html

Should we stay up, we'll also be limited to spending £10,000 on transfer fees next season.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 223
FishOutOfWater
March 4, 2021, 4:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from MarinerDevil
It's been mentioned on this thread and others that we should have been buying players in January.  I was under the impression that we weren't permitted to pay any transfer fees this season under the terms of the Premier League bailout, we could only sign free agents or Bosmans (or loans of course).  Someone will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong.  

So Hurst was extemely limited in who he could sign and he, by and large, went for players he thought he could trust, eg Payne and LJL who helped his Shrewsbury side stay up.  

If we were to sack him, we'd have to fall back on Davies and Moore realistically.  We've got a much better chance under Hurst, no doubt about that for me.

ps Those who keep calling for the Cowleys are utterly deluded over our relative status.  

That's just reminded me of something the chairman said before Christmas

That we were very close to the salary cap....

What's the situation now?

Did it mean that Hurst had to do his wheeling and dealing with one hand tied behind his back?

It might explain why some of his signings haven't come off as he would have hoped for.... a bit like buying cheaper own branded goods from the shops instead of the real thing ( Roller Cola for example )

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 174 - 223
arryarryarry
March 4, 2021, 5:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from 123614
This thread may as well be closed now!  Jason Stockwood has backed PH with his post on Twitter, that's it you Hurst haters, he is staying!

Stop being a male masturbator.

I for one don't hate Hurst, I know for a fact he is a very nice bloke and much more respected by staff at the club than Jolley ever was, I just don't rate him as a manager, I didn't when he was here before and certainly considering his recruitment and performances up to date I don't now.
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 223
DB
March 4, 2021, 5:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MarinerDevil

Sticking your head in the sand and doing nothing is being deluded hoping against hope that things will improve following the last 3 crap games. Doing nothing is no longer an option.

Wanting something better than what we have is looking to the future, being optimistic and positive. 9 games since January for 27 points and we got 4. Deluded is accepting that this is good enough, relying on trusted players when LJL hasn't started a game.

Hurst is a decent manager, as I have all ready posted but I cannot see him, with his current tactics keeping us up. The Cowleys have a very good track record at this level and as another thread suggests the income loss in the NL is unthinkable. £200k each to keep us up, money well spent, and a cheaper option than the NL.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 223
MarinerDevil
March 4, 2021, 5:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,635
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from DB
£200k each to keep us up, money well spent, and a cheaper option than the NL.

If think they'll want more than £200k to walk away from their comfy Huddersfield payoff and risk a relegation back to non-league at a club widely known for being mismanaged and chronically underfunded.  Whatever we offer them, someone will have offered more and they have turned it down.  They'll go to a L1 club they can realistically improve.  It will take a few years of hopefully good management and investment by the consortium to make managers of that calibre believe in our 'project'.  

Also I'm not rolling over and accepting our situation, far from it.  Another relegation will probably mean that Town will have been in non-league for the majority of my life supporting them.  That's pretty depressing.  This mess started long ago and will not be resolved by hoping to chuck non-existent funds at managers or players that we might have been able to attract when we were in the Championship; but that was a long, long time ago in the footballing world.  I want to be back there as much as anyone, it just depresses me how many people seem to live in a reality in which we're still that club.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 223
DB
March 4, 2021, 6:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MarinerDevil

If think they'll want more than £200k to walk away from their comfy Huddersfield payoff and risk a relegation back to non-league at a club widely known for being mismanaged and chronically underfunded.  Whatever we offer them, someone will have offered more and they have turned it down.  They'll go to a L1 club they can realistically improve.  It will take a few years of hopefully good management and investment by the consortium to make managers of that calibre believe in our 'project'.  

Also I'm not rolling over and accepting our situation, far from it.  Another relegation will probably mean that Town will have been in non-league for the majority of my life supporting them.  That's pretty depressing.  This mess started long ago and will not be resolved by hoping to chuck non-existent funds at managers or players that we might have been able to attract when we were in the Championship; but that was a long, long time ago in the footballing world.  I want to be back there as much as anyone, it just depresses me how many people seem to live in a reality in which we're still that club.  

According to another thread it cost Town about £4.5 million in the NL. £500K each, still a cheap option.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 223
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 4, 2021, 6:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +6,990
Gold Stars: 285
I've just rung Danny Cowley and asked him if he'd take over at Town. Offered him half a mill to keep us up. Told me he was washing his hair.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 223
23 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.