Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst Out
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 183 Guests

Hurst Out

This thread currently has 29,068 views. Print
23 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 Next All Recommend Thread
pontoonlew
March 4, 2021, 10:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,988
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from diehardmariner
I listened to the DN35 podcast this morning and the guest was Jack Johnson, former Town Press/Media/creator of sticker books.

Anyway, he made a really good point in reflection of 3 years ago.  In fact just under 3 years ago.  The low point that season and the point when I was absolutely convinced we would go down was Coventry away.  We had seen no bounce from Jolley coming in, had been shown up away at Lincoln the previous week and then having hung up for most the game just collapsed to a 4-0 defeat at the Ricoh.  

That left us 3 points above second bottom Chesterfield who had two games in hand.  This is with 7 games to go. We then went onto pick up a point in the next game and lost the one after.  Of the final 5 games, we picked up 13 points and finished 18th in the end, 13 points ahead of the Chesterfield side who were breathing down our necks a matter of weeks before.  In fact the day after the Coventry game I remember watching Chesterfield played Notts County, won and looked absolutely full of it.  It was also the day Dembele gave the most half-arsed interview with Humberside in which he pretty much admitted he couldn't wait to get away.  It didn't feel a great day to be a Town fan.

But the point is that it can transform so quickly.  Are we excrement at the minute?  God yes, we're bloody awful.  Is it looking bleak?  100%  it is, I can't see where the next point is coming from.  But then I felt this way after the Coventry game and we still only managed to pick up a single point from the next two games before it transformed.  We've not got 7 games left, we've got 16.

We stayed up that season with a front three of Harry Cardwell, JJ Hooper and Harry Clifton.   That's a non-scoring striker who was absolutely wet behind the ears, an early incarnation of a journeyman striker playing on the left wing and a non-attacking central midfielder with his first run in the team playing on the right.  In fact the Chesterfield game that turned it round we started with Scott Vernon and JJ Hooper up top!

Hurst has really disappointed me in the last few games but I still rate him higher than Jolley.  I also think that there's a better bunch of players in the squad now than Jolley had to get a tune out of 3 years ago.  

Improvements are needed, both in terms of performances and how we set ourselves up.  These improvements need to come bloody sharpish.  But it's not over.  Far from it.

That's certainly made me feel better  

I still think the Jolley 'miracle' was somewhat of a myth given the situation we were in, especially given Chesterfield barely got another point after that but we stayed up all the same. The league table dictates that we're absolutely not out of this at all and knowing our fans, we'll all get excited if we picked up a couple of wins and got ourselves out of the relegation zone.

I just desperately hope Hurst swallows a little bit of pride and just tries something different, given previous form that isn't too likely to happen and that's the biggest worry right now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 223
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 4, 2021, 11:00am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,251
Gold Stars: 295
Quoted from diehardmariner
I listened to the DN35 podcast this morning and the guest was Jack Johnson, former Town Press/Media/creator of sticker books.

Anyway, he made a really good point in reflection of 3 years ago.  In fact just under 3 years ago.  The low point that season and the point when I was absolutely convinced we would go down was Coventry away.  We had seen no bounce from Jolley coming in, had been shown up away at Lincoln the previous week and then having hung up for most the game just collapsed to a 4-0 defeat at the Ricoh.  

That left us 3 points above second bottom Chesterfield who had two games in hand.  This is with 7 games to go. We then went onto pick up a point in the next game and lost the one after.  Of the final 5 games, we picked up 13 points and finished 18th in the end, 13 points ahead of the Chesterfield side who were breathing down our necks a matter of weeks before.  In fact the day after the Coventry game I remember watching Chesterfield played Notts County, won and looked absolutely full of it.  It was also the day Dembele gave the most half-arsed interview with Humberside in which he pretty much admitted he couldn't wait to get away.  It didn't feel a great day to be a Town fan.

But the point is that it can transform so quickly.  Are we excrement at the minute?  God yes, we're bloody awful.  Is it looking bleak?  100%  it is, I can't see where the next point is coming from.  But then I felt this way after the Coventry game and we still only managed to pick up a single point from the next two games before it transformed.  We've not got 7 games left, we've got 16.

We stayed up that season with a front three of Harry Cardwell, JJ Hooper and Harry Clifton.   That's a non-scoring striker who was absolutely wet behind the ears, an early incarnation of a journeyman striker playing on the left wing and a non-attacking central midfielder with his first run in the team playing on the right.  In fact the Chesterfield game that turned it round we started with Scott Vernon and JJ Hooper up top!

Hurst has really disappointed me in the last few games but I still rate him higher than Jolley.  I also think that there's a better bunch of players in the squad now than Jolley had to get a tune out of 3 years ago.  

Improvements are needed, both in terms of performances and how we set ourselves up.  These improvements need to come bloody sharpish.  But it's not over.  Far from it.

I was reading this morning that Barnsley have won 6 in a row and have gone from looking over their shoulder to being on the verge of the play offs in the championship - this stuff happens!!

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 223
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 4, 2021, 11:02am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,251
Gold Stars: 295
This being a fans forum people will obviously have differing opinions on the best way to get us out of this mess.

Some may want to stick with a manager who is obviously struggling, despite getting his own players in; some might wish for another change in the hope we can get some reaction from the players.

Some posters have argued other teams might be dragged into the relegation fight and others hope the National League will be voided, both of which are long shots and with the first one, it wouldn't matter anyway unless we start picking up some wins, which brings us back to whether we should stick or twist with the manager.

Every conceivable thing seems to have gone against us, but some might argue although not in a great position we did not look nailed on certainties for relegation when Holloway left, but we do now.

The probability is that Hurst will see the season out, for good or ill. If that is the case he will obviously have to find a winning formula but the team is currently so bad it is difficult to see how.

None of us has the answers; we are just commenting on events in real-time. I wanted Holloway to stay and put things right till circumstances dictated otherwise; I was happy to see Hurst return presuming he would tighten us up and grind out some wins. That has not happened either but we only know these things after the event.

If we get relegated with Hurst we should have made a change; if we don't congratulations to those who wanted him to stay. Football is all about opinions and long may it continue, but like everybody else, I am desperate to see the team turn it around.

You say that everything has gone against us - I'd argue that other results have gone for us in general, particularly the games in hand other clubs had over us.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 223
Sir Matt Tease
March 4, 2021, 11:03am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +282
Gold Stars: 31

I was reading this morning that Barnsley have won 6 in a row and have gone from looking over their shoulder to being on the verge of the play offs in the championship - this stuff happens!!

Not at Blundell Park it doesn't !

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 223
Jarmo.Is.God
March 4, 2021, 11:13am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from Tommy

But in recent weeks he's not telling enough of the firefighters to stand close enough to the fire. He's got most of them stood so far back that the water from their hose doesn't reach the burning building, so they've not got much chance of winning the battle.

Re-arrange/re-position some of the firefighters and we might give ourselves a chance.

Even though you've gone opposite to what i say, i love this.

And i find it hard to disagree with you
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 223
diehardmariner
March 4, 2021, 11:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,534
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease

Not at Blundell Park it doesn't !

[url=https://ibb.co/SQ8chtJ][img]https://i.ibb.co/yh1pw6V/Capture.jpg[/img][/url]

Not quite a run towards the play-offs, but it does happen at BP.  Look at the form prior to the last 5 games.  6 points from 20 games going into the final 5 games of the season.  We're 12 from our last 20 at the minute.  Granted it's still diabolical but it's not unheard of to turn it around.  
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 223
ginnywings
March 4, 2021, 11:51am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from oochiad
What worries me is setting up last Saturday without wingers, with Hanson and Payne on. How could that possibly work. Just plain ridiculous. Hurst needs to be questioned on his thinking there......

Without wanting to pick on you specifically, as there are plenty of other posts with the same theme, it always gives me a wry smile when fans question the decisions of a manager, and basically say that he doesn't know what he's doing and if only he would listen to the fans, who can absolutely see where he is going wrong, all would be right with the world.

Do said fans not think he might just have a bit more insight into what is more likely to work and what is less likely to work?

It's not the plans that are at fault, it's the implementation of those plans as far as I can tell. The players are just not doing the right things and yes, It's down to the manager to coach them to do the right things, but the best laid plans won't work if the players don't carry out the instructions in the correct manner.

From listening to PH, I think he is trying to grind out a few results and get a bit of a run going. He's mentioned Stevenage more than once and the way they have slowly but surely gathered momentum by first getting a few draws and eventually building confidence to start getting a win or two here and there. We have to start getting clean sheets and build from there, but fans just want wins and think we should be going gung ho, all out attack.

I don't expect that he will change his stance much until it becomes necessary to take more risks and we are not at that stage yet. Hurst has a certain way he does things, we know that and we knew it before he came back to the club. I'm sure he will be having sleepless nights thinking about what he can do to change things and we just have to trust that he gets it right.

Yes it's dull, yes it's boring, yes it's scary because it isn't working, but he's shown in the past more than once that he knows how to get results. The fear is that we simply haven't got the requisite players to achieve it, despite his recruitment, because I doubt he got the players in that he wanted. We are just not attractive enough to get them at the moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 223
Abdul19
March 4, 2021, 11:53am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,547
Gold Stars: 215
We need to stop playing the firefighters who don't have arms.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 223
DB
March 4, 2021, 12:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,996
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from ska face
Mental how there’s always this pool of out of work managers who would be willing to come here and would definitely be better than whichever manager we have at the time. But despite having 5 different managers, plus 4 different caretaker managers, since 2016 somehow we’ve just decided not to bother getting one of these decent managers.

Still, always an interesting discussion. Every week.

We have got one of the better managers over the years because Fenty always choose the cheap option.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 223
oochiad
March 4, 2021, 12:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,709
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from ginnywings

Without wanting to pick on you specifically, as there are plenty of other posts with the same theme, it always gives me a wry smile when fans question the decisions of a manager, and basically say that he doesn't know what he's doing and if only he would listen to the fans, who can absolutely see where he is going wrong, all would be right with the world.

Do said fans not think he might just have a bit more insight into what is more likely to work and what is less likely to work?

It's not the plans that are at fault, it's the implementation of those plans as far as I can tell. The players are just not doing the right things and yes, It's down to the manager to coach them to do the right things, but the best laid plans won't work if the players don't carry out the instructions in the correct manner.

From listening to PH, I think he is trying to grind out a few results and get a bit of a run going. He's mentioned Stevenage more than once and the way they have slowly but surely gathered momentum by first getting a few draws and eventually building confidence to start getting a win or two here and there. We have to start getting clean sheets and build from there, but fans just want wins and think we should be going gung ho, all out attack.

I don't expect that he will change his stance much until it becomes necessary to take more risks and we are not at that stage yet. Hurst has a certain way he does things, we know that and we knew it before he came back to the club. I'm sure he will be having sleepless nights thinking about what he can do to change things and we just have to trust that he gets it right.

Yes it's dull, yes it's boring, yes it's scary because it isn't working, but he's shown in the past more than once that he knows how to get results. The fear is that we simply haven't got the requisite players to achieve it, despite his recruitment, because I doubt he got the players in that he wanted. We are just not attractive enough to get them at the moment.

All of what you say ginnywings is fair enough andIm not professing to know the answers to success but how could that situation I describe possibly work? And also if what you say is the way Hurst is hoping to achieve anything well it certainly didn’t work did it. Only way the wingers were put on later in the game did we possibly look like getting anywhere near to a goal. I would like Hurst to at least explain his decision as I’m truly at a loss. I really do hope he sorts this, I certainly don’t want him to fail and I was all for his reinstatement. I am having my doubts bow though...... everything crossed for our future in the league🤞🤞🤞🤞
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 223
23 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst Out

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.