Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst Out
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 333 Guests

Hurst Out

This thread currently has 29,070 views. Print
23 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 Next All Recommend Thread
cannylad68
March 4, 2021, 8:59am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
Question.

Who is Paul Hurst responsible to?

Is it:-

Phillip Day, John Fenty or the new consortium

or is he a free cannon?

Thank you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 223
ska face
March 4, 2021, 9:04am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,639
Gold Stars: 840
Mental how there’s always this pool of out of work managers who would be willing to come here and would definitely be better than whichever manager we have at the time. But despite having 5 different managers, plus 4 different caretaker managers, since 2016 somehow we’ve just decided not to bother getting one of these decent managers.

Still, always an interesting discussion. Every week.
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 223
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 4, 2021, 9:14am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,262
Gold Stars: 295
Quoted from cannylad68
Question.

Who is Paul Hurst responsible to?

Is it:-

Phillip Day, John Fenty or the new consortium

or is he a free cannon?

Thank you.

At time of writing John Fenty remains majority shareholder in the club and Day is chairman. Hurst is responsible to them but day to day will report to one of them, I don't know but I'd guess Day. The consortium has no part in the actual running of the club because they don't own it yet. Any discussion about the running of the club between the consortium and Fenty/Day will be a courtesy in view of the takeover.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 223
cannylad68
March 4, 2021, 9:26am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
Thank you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 223
Son of Cod
March 4, 2021, 9:31am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from ska face
Mental how there’s always this pool of out of work managers who would be willing to come here and would definitely be better than whichever manager we have at the time. But despite having 5 different managers, plus 4 different caretaker managers, since 2016 somehow we’ve just decided not to bother getting one of these decent managers.

Still, always an interesting discussion. Every week.

In all fairness, we've got a lot of time before the next transfer window opens up and we can start the Bogle threads.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 223
March 4, 2021, 9:45am
Guest User
This thread may as well be closed now!  Jason Stockwood has backed PH with his post on Twitter, that's it you Hurst haters, he is staying!
Reply: 145 - 223
lew chaterleys lover
March 4, 2021, 9:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
This being a fans forum people will obviously have differing opinions on the best way to get us out of this mess.

Some may want to stick with a manager who is obviously struggling, despite getting his own players in; some might wish for another change in the hope we can get some reaction from the players.

Some posters have argued other teams might be dragged into the relegation fight and others hope the National League will be voided, both of which are long shots and with the first one, it wouldn't matter anyway unless we start picking up some wins, which brings us back to whether we should stick or twist with the manager.

Every conceivable thing seems to have gone against us, but some might argue although not in a great position we did not look nailed on certainties for relegation when Holloway left, but we do now.

The probability is that Hurst will see the season out, for good or ill. If that is the case he will obviously have to find a winning formula but the team is currently so bad it is difficult to see how.

None of us has the answers; we are just commenting on events in real-time. I wanted Holloway to stay and put things right till circumstances dictated otherwise; I was happy to see Hurst return presuming he would tighten us up and grind out some wins. That has not happened either but we only know these things after the event.

If we get relegated with Hurst we should have made a change; if we don't congratulations to those who wanted him to stay. Football is all about opinions and long may it continue, but like everybody else, I am desperate to see the team turn it around.
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 223
oochiad
March 4, 2021, 9:50am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,715
Gold Stars: 27
What worries me is setting up last Saturday without wingers, with Hanson and Payne on. How could that possibly work. Just plain ridiculous. Hurst needs to be questioned on his thinking there......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 223
realist
March 4, 2021, 10:16am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,684
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from 123614
This thread may as well be closed now!  Jason Stockwood has backed PH with his post on Twitter, that's it you Hurst haters, he is staying!

This is so worrying.  The new owners appear to be Fenty continuation people. We are doomed.
Sorry to have an opinion about Hurst but I make up my own mind and don't follow twits
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 223
diehardmariner
March 4, 2021, 10:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,542
Gold Stars: 537
I listened to the DN35 podcast this morning and the guest was Jack Johnson, former Town Press/Media/creator of sticker books.

Anyway, he made a really good point in reflection of 3 years ago.  In fact just under 3 years ago.  The low point that season and the point when I was absolutely convinced we would go down was Coventry away.  We had seen no bounce from Jolley coming in, had been shown up away at Lincoln the previous week and then having hung up for most the game just collapsed to a 4-0 defeat at the Ricoh.  

That left us 3 points above second bottom Chesterfield who had two games in hand.  This is with 7 games to go. We then went onto pick up a point in the next game and lost the one after.  Of the final 5 games, we picked up 13 points and finished 18th in the end, 13 points ahead of the Chesterfield side who were breathing down our necks a matter of weeks before.  In fact the day after the Coventry game I remember watching Chesterfield played Notts County, won and looked absolutely full of it.  It was also the day Dembele gave the most half-arsed interview with Humberside in which he pretty much admitted he couldn't wait to get away.  It didn't feel a great day to be a Town fan.

But the point is that it can transform so quickly.  Are we excrement at the minute?  God yes, we're bloody awful.  Is it looking bleak?  100%  it is, I can't see where the next point is coming from.  But then I felt this way after the Coventry game and we still only managed to pick up a single point from the next two games before it transformed.  We've not got 7 games left, we've got 16.

We stayed up that season with a front three of Harry Cardwell, JJ Hooper and Harry Clifton.   That's a non-scoring striker who was absolutely wet behind the ears, an early incarnation of a journeyman striker playing on the left wing and a non-attacking central midfielder with his first run in the team playing on the right.  In fact the Chesterfield game that turned it round we started with Scott Vernon and JJ Hooper up top!

Hurst has really disappointed me in the last few games but I still rate him higher than Jolley.  I also think that there's a better bunch of players in the squad now than Jolley had to get a tune out of 3 years ago.  

Improvements are needed, both in terms of performances and how we set ourselves up.  These improvements need to come bloody sharpish.  But it's not over.  Far from it.

Private Message
Reply: 149 - 223
23 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst Out

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.