Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Managerial Record(s)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 367 Guests

Managerial Record(s)

This thread currently has 3,396 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
March 2, 2021, 10:13am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,428
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from pontoonlew

Think our fans conveniently forget that our form was actually okay at the start of the season and the fact we looked absolutely fine until mid November.

The only thing I can pinpoint was Edwards getting injured at Harrogate, there was a noticeable difference in the way we played almost immediately and we didn’t seem to recover the previous style whatsoever. What he offered for me was keeping the ball away from our box and into theirs. After that, Preston got torn to bits and once Edwards came back, I feel the morale of some had taken a proper hammering.

I get that it’s probably a multitude of things but for all the criticism our recruitment (rightfully) got, it didn’t seem for a minute it was bad enough to send us down even if we weren’t picking up that many wins.

I think you've highlighted two decent points in regards Edwards and Preston.

There was a period for about six weeks to two months when our left hand side was our absolute Achilles.  Every side targeted and we drowned as a result.

I'm not suggesting the players have ever downed tools, but I personally feel that they lost faith in Holloway.  It dented their confidence and belief because they never knew what was happening.  For all his hyperbole about people management, he clearly did none of this.  Once the players lose belief, that's really difficult to get back.

I think the downturn from October/November onwards can also be attributed partly to a poor training schedule.  Almost a gradual decline sort of thing.  The first few months of the season we didn't notice the effects as much, although we did look incredibly unfit.  But as the weeks without a decent training schedule turned into months, we got away with less and we got found out, big time.

I don't think it's as easy as some expected for Hurst to come in and just put the pieces back together.   What I will say is that we can't really hide behind these excuses anymore.  Hurst's job is huge and if he pulls it off it'll eclipse anything he's done before, but he's got his own staff in the building, his own players on the pitch and they're playing to his tactics.  It's harsh and no-one should be expected to rebuild a squad, both in terms of players and confidence for those remaining, but he has to be judged on his own merits now.  But that's the merits of now.  Dragging up his historical record serves no purpose at all, especially when you omit two years from his record at Shrewsbury because it doesn't suit your argument...
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 32
ginnywings
March 2, 2021, 12:08pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from PPMariner
Played 67
Won 15
Drawn 21
Lost 31
Points 66

67 15 21 31

Moreover, two of the clubs managed in the above period were expected to be challenging for promotion.

The record from the above record probably ought to be that the individual involved still has a job in management. And that most of that club’s fans are happy about it...

UTM

Think you are being a bit selective, which is easy to do when you look at stats in isolation, and without context.

Hurst was a manager on the rise through non league, then up through the EFL until he got to Ipswich, where it all went t1ts up. It happens that some managers don't fit at some clubs, but his record prior to that was pretty impressive, and I say that as someone who isn't his biggest fan.

After Ipswich, his stock was lower and the job offers were not as juicy. I don't know what happened at Scunny, but he didn't last long, so finding himself out of work and with us needing someone pronto after Runaway legged it, and a crucial transfer window looming, I think we made the right choice given his past association with the club, enabling him to settle quickly. His previous rescue act at Shrewsbury being another good reason to give him a go with us again.

It's not happened as we would have liked so far, but building an entire new team mid season was always going to be a risky move. I think the time to judge is at the end of the season, because we have gone down this route now and there is no going back. I don't think he has a relegation on his CV to date and he will be busting a gut to prevent one, although he can justifiably claim he wasn't wholly culpable in that.

He was given an 18 month contract, so if we go down, it looks like he will be given at least a season to try and get us back up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 32
Zmariner
March 2, 2021, 5:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,116
Gold Stars: 44
Agreed that the statistics do not look good but I think Hurst takes a significant amount of time to get things working. When he left Scunthorpe they had improved dramatically, initially they were absolutely abysmal. He was also not dismissed for Football reasons per Peter Swann I think it was his inability to cut the budget.
At Ipswich there were some member ups, he had the misfortune to lose good strikers very early but then tried to push lower league players into the championship which proved to fail
The point that I make here is that Hurst is not usually an instant fix merchant which is actually terrifying for us this season because that is really what we need. Hopefully tonight we will see some seeds of improvement but the game could go any way utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Managerial Record(s)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.