Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Managerial Record(s)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 238 Guests

Managerial Record(s)

This thread currently has 3,394 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
DB
March 1, 2021, 5:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,971
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from psgmariner

That typo  

Deliberate or otherwise it made me laugh.

Ipswich's worst manager ever according to many.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TW1tsksJlo

At least he didn't have to get rid of quality players when he arrived because we didn't have any. Now  he's replaced the team, with the exception of Eastwood, we still don't have any quality players.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 32
denni266
March 1, 2021, 5:27pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +699
Gold Stars: 132
The problem is that hollowhead put a tier 5/6 squad together . Hurst has got rid / palmed off / droped these players and replaced them with tier 5 players .. problem is we are in tier 4 league. I think i see the problem there.. now is it deliberate as expecting to go down or is it no one wanted to come here
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 32
Poojah
March 1, 2021, 6:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,422
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from denni266
The problem is that hollowhead put a tier 5/6 squad together . Hurst has got rid / palmed off / droped these players and replaced them with tier 5 players .. problem is we are in tier 4 league. I think i see the problem there.. now is it deliberate as expecting to go down or is it no one wanted to come here

There's something that really bothers me about this because as much as I agree with your point about it being a tier 5/6 squad, the very worst of that side had us in 16th place and 8 points above the relegation zone after 10 games, despite having played a game less than most of the league. At that point our PPG was 1.2, not great by any means but has since dropped to just 0.63 - effectively half.

In the 19 games since we have accrued just the same amount of points as we did in our first 10. I didn't think this season would be a great or even a good one just under a quarter of the way in, but I didn't expect us to find ourselves deep, deep in a relegation battle.

Did we just fluke some of those early wins, or is there more to this story than we are currently aware of?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 32
pontoonlew
March 1, 2021, 6:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,834
Gold Stars: 167
Quoted from Poojah

There's something that really bothers me about this because as much as I agree with your point about it being a tier 5/6 squad, the very worst of that side had us in 16th place and 8 points above the relegation zone after 10 games, despite having played a game less than most of the league. At that point our PPG was 1.2, not great by any means but has since dropped to just 0.63 - effectively half.

In the 19 games since we have accrued just the same amount of points as we did in our first 10. I didn't think this season would be a great or even a good one just under a quarter of the way in, but I didn't expect us to find ourselves deep, deep in a relegation battle.

Did we just fluke some of those early wins, or is there more to this story than we are currently aware of?

Think our fans conveniently forget that our form was actually okay at the start of the season and the fact we looked absolutely fine until mid November.

The only thing I can pinpoint was Edwards getting injured at Harrogate, there was a noticeable difference in the way we played almost immediately and we didn’t seem to recover the previous style whatsoever. What he offered for me was keeping the ball away from our box and into theirs. After that, Preston got torn to bits and once Edwards came back, I feel the morale of some had taken a proper hammering.

I get that it’s probably a multitude of things but for all the criticism our recruitment (rightfully) got, it didn’t seem for a minute it was bad enough to send us down even if we weren’t picking up that many wins.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 32
malkamalka
March 1, 2021, 7:44pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from denni266

What budget did Hurst have? Did we have money to actually buy players?

On another point comparing Hurst to Holloway - didn't he actually walk away? So saying we should have kept him is a bit rich (even in hindsight).

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 32
moosey_club
March 1, 2021, 7:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,199
Gold Stars: 224
But let's not forget, the fans weren't clamouring for change, or calling for Hurst to return....Holloway just fcking legged it and left us in the lurch.
Given the timing of it, the window about to open the club decided to act fast and appointed someone they already knew, who was out of work, knows the club  and set up.
I dont think they really had time to undertake a fully open recruitment process so just went with Hurst to some degree.

I personally had reservations as I dont like his not lose first mentality as opposed to a go win it personality but under the circumstances not losing would be an acceptable change.
Trouble is I dont think the players know how to play a not lose game as yet as we have looked awful at the back, which given Hursts standpoint that really is a worry.

Tomorrow has that air of doom about it already, Orient on a shocking run, cant score goals, sacked the manager.....which normally means.......lump on Orient to win by 3 clear goals.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 32
DB
March 1, 2021, 8:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,971
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from malkamalka

On another point comparing Hurst to Holloway - didn't he actually walk away? So saying we should have kept him is a bit rich (even in hindsight).

According to Day 'money isn't a problem'  

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 32
promotion plaice
March 1, 2021, 9:08pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from exiledmeggie
So Paul Lambert has left Ipswich! Wonder if they want Paul Hurts back?

Best ask Swin  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 32
arryarryarry
March 1, 2021, 9:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from pontoonlew

Think our fans conveniently forget that our form was actually okay at the start of the season and the fact we looked absolutely fine until mid November.

The only thing I can pinpoint was Edwards getting injured at Harrogate, there was a noticeable difference in the way we played almost immediately and we didn’t seem to recover the previous style whatsoever. What he offered for me was keeping the ball away from our box and into theirs. After that, Preston got torn to bits and once Edwards came back, I feel the morale of some had taken a proper hammering.

I get that it’s probably a multitude of things but for all the criticism our recruitment (rightfully) got, it didn’t seem for a minute it was bad enough to send us down even if we weren’t picking up that many wins.

I mentioned something similar in another thread. In some games he was by far our best player, he did struggle a bit when he came back, maybe not fully fit but we just haven't had a similar type of player that can frighten defences.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 32
denni266
March 1, 2021, 9:30pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +699
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from malkamalka

I dont remember saying that we should have kept Holloway . In fact i was glad when he went but i was and still in the mind that he was not here for the football . I am also not a fan of Hurst but it has been a shock how he has failed to turn things around , he has so far not steadied  the ship one bit
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Managerial Record(s)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.