7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
cmackenzie4
February 27, 2021, 8:21pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
A new thread to see videos about beautiful places people have visited, People who know me will know my love for the mountains, I do a lot of mountain/hillwalking as well as wild camping, this video will show you why I love it so much, the producer of this video captures some amazing moments, it’s well worth a watch.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
cmackenzie4
February 27, 2021, 8:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 61
DB
February 27, 2021, 8:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,996
Gold Stars: 386
Well you didn't surprise me. No picture of BP  

Sorry couldn't resist it

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 61
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
February 27, 2021, 10:36pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
One of my favourite cities the beautiful Venice

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 61
promotion plaice
February 27, 2021, 11:15pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,040
Gold Stars: 197

I can think of a lot worse places to live.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 61
Rick12
February 28, 2021, 8:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45

Been lucky enough to go there. Stunning place.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 61
KingstonMariner
February 28, 2021, 1:58pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Beautiful videos Chris. Must take the wife up to the Highlands and Islands. Went once myself years ago but apart from Edinburgh she’s not been to Scotland.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 61
cmackenzie4
February 28, 2021, 2:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
You and your wife won’t be disappointed KM, I’d fully recommend Sutherland and the Torridon mountain range, beautiful places mate, just try and avoid going in midge season though (May to September) if you can.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 61
KingstonMariner
February 28, 2021, 2:40pm
Meths Drinker
Not the most beautiful city in the world, but I love it. This gives a flavour of Helsinki in the Summer.  This was filmed last year but it’s not particularly quiet - it usually feels half empty on the streets. The long summer days and relatively clean air (it’ll be light at 11pm) gives it a special atmosphere.

Good jumping off point for beautiful lakes and forests too.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 61
ginnywings
February 28, 2021, 5:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
You've got me all fired up now Chris. I love Scotland and will be off in my camper the moment lockdown is lifted, probably for a few weeks or months. Was up there for 6 weeks last summer, but got called back for an operation, then lockdown 2 happened.

With the popularity in staycations and the amount of people who will be heading for the most popular parts, we will be going back to one of our favourite areas, the Ardnamurchan peninsula, which is stunning but doesn't get as packed as nearby Lochaber and Fort William. Will then go out to the Outer Hebrides for a while, over to Skye, then the Assynt mountains back on the mainland. Not been to that area yet but it's supposed to be stunning and remote, off the beaten path.

Will steer clear of anywhere near the NC 500 route, which is wall to wall motorhomes in the summer.

Will find my favourite videos and post some later on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 61
Les Brechin
February 28, 2021, 6:39pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,699
Gold Stars: 174
My favourite place in the entire UK. Always try to get up there at least once a year.

Missing the place like mad. Had a week up there booked for last November but that was obviously cancelled. Now rebooked for this November, hopefully we can get up there again.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 61
cmackenzie4
February 28, 2021, 6:42pm

Recovering Alcoholic
We go to Glencoe Ginny, I’m sure you’ll have a great trip mate, I’ve been to Ardnamurchan, we saw the lighthouse there, it was a lovely day, it was a long day though, we came back via Glenfinnan and Fort William. It must be fantastic in the camper, that’s how I’d like to travel Scotland mate.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 61
LH
February 28, 2021, 7:22pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,496
Gold Stars: 173
Can anyone recommend a good base point for a week’s walking in Scotland? Might as well use this time to explore this island with the dog. I’ve been up there with work a few times but never explored. I was once lucky enough to fly at very low level over lochs and the Western Isles sitting on the flight deck of a Hercules. Obviously a downside to this meant there was no photos allowed but it’s definitely the most memorable journey I’ve ever made. Looking down on the real life Balamory - Tobermory - was quite surreal.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 61
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
February 28, 2021, 8:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,824
Gold Stars: 553
Quoted from LH
Can anyone recommend a good base point for a week’s walking in Scotland? Might as well use this time to explore this island with the dog. I’ve been up there with work a few times but never explored. I was once lucky enough to fly at very low level over lochs and the Western Isles sitting on the flight deck of a Hercules. Obviously a downside to this meant there was no photos allowed but it’s definitely the most memorable journey I’ve ever made. Looking down on the real life Balamory - Tobermory - was quite surreal.

In general the further north and west you go, the better the scenery, but the risk of not seeing much of it due to bad weather increases.

I’ve always liked Lochinver and Ullapool as bases to attack the far NW.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 61
mariner91
February 28, 2021, 8:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,611
Gold Stars: 260
I went to Plockton in 2019 and it was seriously beautiful. Also had a bowl of cullen skink which is a smoked haddock soup in a restaurant there which would be a good contender for my last meal if I was on death row. Lovely little place.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 61
Les Brechin
February 28, 2021, 9:03pm

Quoted from mariner91
I went to Plockton in 2019 and it was seriously beautiful. Also had a bowl of cullen skink which is a smoked haddock soup in a restaurant there which would be a good contender for my last meal if I was on death row. Lovely little place.

Cullen Skink, a Smoked Seafood Platter and a Scottish Cheeseboard from The Plockton Inn would be my last meal.  

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 61
cmackenzie4
February 28, 2021, 9:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from LH

Fort William is a nice base but it’s still a drive up to Sutherland, Sutherland is amazing, it depends if you want to get away from it all but like a poster said the further North and West you go the better it is (for me it is anyway) I walked from Kinlochbervie to Cape Wrath via Oldshoremore and Sandwood bay, that was one of the best trips I’ve been on as well as a week In Knoydart were I didn’t see a soul all week.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 61
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
February 28, 2021, 9:19pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from mariner91

I had deep fried haggis from a chippy in Paisley. It definitely would not be on my list for a last meal. Actually I'm surprised it wasn't.

No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 61
ginnywings
February 28, 2021, 10:42pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from LH

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/arran/arran-coastal-way.shtml

Done quite a bit of this walk and it's ideal for a weeks walking. Varied and interesting with towns nicely spaced out around the Island, which is known as Scotland in miniature, as it is rolling countryside in the south and rugged in the north. Not too far to get to either and you can comfortably reach the ferry port at Ardrossan for the short trip over in a days drive from here. Can get a bit busy in the tourist season, but that's mainly in the south of the island. Good bus service right around the island if you don't want to drive, so you can do different sections each day with a week bus pass.

As others have said, basically anywhere on the west coast or any of the islands is worth a trip. With their right to roam, you can pretty much walk anywhere you like and in the summer, it's light until about 11pm.

I never tire of Scotland. The scenery ranges from beautiful to staggering. Some of the finest beaches I've ever seen, with barely a soul on most of them. Our dog goes batsh1t up there; think he likes it more than we do and we can't keep him out of the sea. Plus you're likely to spot seals, dolphins, porpoises otters, red deer, sea eagles and if you're very lucky a whale or two.

Check your dog nightly for ticks though. Ours seemed to pick them up daily and they got buried in his fur, mostly around the eyes and were difficult to spot in his long fur. They wouldn't do him any harm, as his flea tablet kills ticks too, but didn't want the little feckers getting on us. The midges and the ticks up there are a pain, but the scenery makes up for it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 61
GrimRob
February 28, 2021, 11:16pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,402
Gold Stars: 113

Been to Iceland for a week-long walking holiday (lots of mountains!)
Also been taken around on a guided holiday

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 61
ginnywings
February 28, 2021, 11:30pm

Recovering Alcoholic

Some random couple's holiday video visiting most of the places we went on the Ardnamurchan, although there is loads more.

The singing sands is a magical place on the peninsula. It's accessed only by foot, with a three mile walk through woodland from a car park. We went for a swim here with the dog last summer. The water is crystal clear but bloody cold until you get used to it. The walk there and back is really good too but I got bitten by huge horseflies. The critters drew blood.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 61
ginnywings
February 28, 2021, 11:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from cmackenzie4
We go to Glencoe Ginny, I’m sure you’ll have a great trip mate, I’ve been to Ardnamurchan, we saw the lighthouse there, it was a lovely day, it was a long day though, we came back via Glenfinnan and Fort William. It must be fantastic in the camper, that’s how I’d like to travel Scotland mate.

We've driven through Glencoe a couple of times with stops to take it all in. There is a very definite atmosphere about the place, but we found it a bit too busy for our liking and didn't stay for any length of time. We have scope to go up there out of season now and will explore more when it's less busy.

Did you see the crazy border collie's at the lighthouse, barking at the sea? They are a fixture there apparently. They follow visitors down to the bottom of the rocks and back up again. When at the bottom, they bark at the waves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 61
cmackenzie4
March 1, 2021, 12:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
I tend to go to Glencoe during the winter months Ginny (usually around November) when snow is on the tops, going that time of year you tend to miss all the visitors, it’s so atmospheric I agree, I’ve camped in the lost valley on my own before and that was such an experience, it’s were all the cattle were hidden during the Glencoe massacre (in 1692)

When we were at Ardnamurchan there was nobody there as it was a full on winters day and quite late on, we visited a place called Strontian I don’t know if you have been there? We usually go across on the Corran ferry, have you been on that ? It’s between Glencoe and Fort William (a82) it’s only a short crossing but well worth it for the views.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 61
codcheeky
March 1, 2021, 5:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31

A round trip I made a few years back when my son was living in Revelstoke BC, We had tickets to fly there again for last summer but covid put paid to that, Scotland is stunning and obviously a lot more accessible for us but the Canadian Rockies are simply breathtaking
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 61
DB
March 1, 2021, 5:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from promotion plaice

I can think of a lot worse places to live.

That was one of the best views I seen of Cleethorpes. Nelc should use it as a promo. Thank you for sharing it.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 61
ginnywings
March 1, 2021, 7:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from cmackenzie4
I tend to go to Glencoe during the winter months Ginny (usually around November) when snow is on the tops, going that time of year you tend to miss all the visitors, it’s so atmospheric I agree, I’ve camped in the lost valley on my own before and that was such an experience, it’s were all the cattle were hidden during the Glencoe massacre (in 1692)

When we were at Ardnamurchan there was nobody there as it was a full on winters day and quite late on, we visited a place called Strontian I don’t know if you have been there? We usually go across on the Corran ferry, have you been on that ? It’s between Glencoe and Fort William (a82) it’s only a short crossing but well worth it for the views.

Yeah, been on the Corran ferry twice and visited Strontian twice also. Went to the Ariundle oak woodlands just out of town. They are actually classed as rainforest and one of my favourite places to visit. Very old and atmospheric.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 61
Les Brechin
March 1, 2021, 9:13pm

This was a cracking little ferry we stumbled across a few years back. The last ferry of it's kind in the world.

https://skyeferry.co.uk/

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 61
ska face
March 1, 2021, 10:11pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,623
Gold Stars: 840

Was fortunate enough to spend a few days walking round here in 2019, absolutely unreal.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 61
ginnywings
March 1, 2021, 11:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Did this trip a good few years ago. The moment you reach the edge of the canyon and go from 100's feet off the ground to 1000's in an instant, is some experience. Truly one of the wonders of the world.

Wouldn't mind going back one day and doing this.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 61
ginnywings
March 1, 2021, 11:53pm

Recovering Alcoholic
This is a trip that lives long in the memory. Out to the Treshnish Isles to see the seabird colonies, especially the comical puffins, who have no fear of humans at all and you can get really close to them. Then onto Staffa to see Fingals Cave, It was a beautiful sunny day and thoroughly recommended if you are up that way.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 61
promotion plaice
March 2, 2021, 12:30am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,040
Gold Stars: 197

A beautiful place, Oludeniz Turkey Blue Lagoon.

A bit packed when we visited but amazing.

Our Hotel was in Calis Beach, full of Germans.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 61
ginnywings
March 2, 2021, 12:27pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from ska face

Was fortunate enough to spend a few days walking round here in 2019, absolutely unreal.

Had a day driving through there and an overnight stay in some log cabin complex with a central bar and restaurant. It was memorable in more ways than one. Me and my mate went for something to eat and a few  beers and this guy just walked up to our table, sat down and said, " Hi, I'm Bobby and I'm gay". Turns out, he thought we were with some gay group that were meeting up for a weekend hike. Americans are not backward in coming forward.

As we were leaving the bar later, the barman, who we had spent a good part of the night chatting to said, "See ya fellers, watch out for the bears on your way back". It took us quite a while to find our cabin in the dark as they all looked exactly the same and were spaced out randomly. Never sobered up so quick in my life.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 61
KingstonMariner
March 2, 2021, 1:38pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Had a day driving through there and an overnight stay in some log cabin complex with a central bar and restaurant. It was memorable in more ways than one. Me and my mate went for something to eat and a few  beers and this guy just walked up to our table, sat down and said, " Hi, I'm Bobby and I'm gay". Turns out, he thought we were with some gay group that were meeting up for a weekend hike. Americans are not backward in coming forward.

As we were leaving the bar later, the barman, who we had spent a good part of the night chatting to said, "See ya fellers, watch out for the bears on your way back". It took us quite a while to find our cabin in the dark as they all looked exactly the same and were spaced out randomly. Never sobered up so quick in my life.

You do realise ‘bear’ is gay slang don’t you? 😆

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 61
KingstonMariner
March 2, 2021, 1:40pm
Meths Drinker
Stayed in the only hotel in Yosemite for a couple of nights back in the early 90s. Real old school white wooden buildings. Great place.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 61
cmackenzie4
March 2, 2021, 4:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Some great places visited on here, I quite fancy New Zealand one of these days, it’s a place I’ve always wanted to go, anyone else been?  I also like the look of Canada.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 61
Les Brechin
March 2, 2021, 6:45pm

Quoted from cmackenzie4
Some great places visited on here, I quite fancy New Zealand one of these days, it’s a place I’ve always wanted to go, anyone else been?  I also like the look of Canada.

I'm pretty much buggered now, as due to medical advice, I've been told that I should not take any flight over 2 hours long.

Looks like I'm going to have to wait until I'm retired and go on a round the world cruise to visit the more exotic places of the world.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 61
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
March 2, 2021, 7:03pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from cmackenzie4

I visited Wellington on my families return from Oz. I was 2. Managed to spend a day in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 2018. It rained. There you go, my experiences of New Zealand and Canada, hope this helps.

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 61
cmackenzie4
March 2, 2021, 7:20pm

Recovering Alcoholic

I visited Wellington on my families return from Oz. I was 2. Managed to spend a day in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 2018. It rained. There you go, my experiences of New Zealand and Canada, hope this helps.

That made me laugh mate, good one. 👍

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 61
ginnywings
March 2, 2021, 11:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from KingstonMariner

You do realise ‘bear’ is gay slang don’t you? 😆

Yeah, I do realise that but it was a long time ago and I don't think the whole gay bear thing was a thing yet.

We did ask what type of bears they were and was told Brown bears, not as dangerous as Grizzly's, but you wouldn't want to meet one in the dark.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 61
KingstonMariner
March 3, 2021, 2:51am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah, I do realise that but it was a long time ago and I don't think the whole gay bear thing was a thing yet.

We did ask what type of bears they were and was told Brown bears, not as dangerous as Grizzly's, but you wouldn't want to meet one in the dark.

Of course not 😆

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 61
Humbercod
March 3, 2021, 3:00pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,494
Gold Stars: 82
Going to do a week bike packing in Scotland this summer try out this wild camping lark, no idea what tent or anything I need yet but got the bike and the travel bags, so any pointers on kit would be appreciated, want to go as light as possible.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 61
cmackenzie4
March 3, 2021, 3:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Is it just you camping If so what’s your budget ? I know decent 1/2 man tents ranging from £80.00 to £900.00 also have you any camping equipment (Sleeping bag/Stove/lantern etc) I’ll help you mate as camping is my main hobby, i have some excellent equipment and lots of experience at wild camping.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 61
ginnywings
March 4, 2021, 12:29am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Humbercod
Going to do a week bike packing in Scotland this summer try out this wild camping lark, no idea what tent or anything I need yet but got the bike and the travel bags, so any pointers on kit would be appreciated, want to go as light as possible.

That's something I did a lot of in my youth. Still have the bike and pannier bags but they haven't seen the light of day for many a moon. I had a Trangia for cooking and make sure you have at least 2 water bottles, as you never know when you can get fresh water, especially if you are going somewhere remote. Carry a basic tool kit and innertubes and I always had a big bag of mixed fruit and nuts for an energy boost as you can soon start to flag if you are peddling a long way without sustenance. Eat a handful every 20 mins as you ride, so you don't crash your blood sugars. A midge headnet is advisable in Scotland, depending on the time of year, as is a tick remover if you are going into long grass. Comfortable clothing and wet gear, plus a small first aid kit.

As for a tent and sleeping bag, the choices are endless, but you want as light as possible and usually, lightweight equals expensive if you want anything decent. Make sure you put everything inside stout plastic bags before you put them inside your bike bags. You don't want to rock up for the night and find everything is soaking wet from a downpour, unless you have fully waterproof panniers.

As a precaution, I joined the Youth Hostel Association in my cycle touring days and on particularly bad days for weather, I would go and bunk in one of those, get a good nights kip and dry everything out in the drying room.

The only other advice I would give is to be careful and vigilant. A lot of drivers don't care for cyclists and give you no leeway whatsoever. I've also had stuff thrown at me from passing cars more than once. You are very vulnerable on a bike and I've seen a car plough into a couple on bikes up in Scotland. It was horrendous.

After that sobering thought, I have to say though that my cycle touring holidays were some of the best I've ever had. It's a great way to travel and nothing beats a view from the top of a mountain when you have had to climb all the way to the top on a bike.

Probably missed a few things, so ask away if you want any more specific info.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 61
cmackenzie4
March 4, 2021, 8:35am

Recovering Alcoholic
That is good advice by Ginny (wrapping stuff in separate dry bags - Ortileb dry bags are good for this but if not black bags are good enough) also in the summer a Midge net is a must.

Tent - if you’ve got a bit of Money to spend I’d recommended the Hilleberg soulo if you didn’t want to spend that kind of money then there are some great options out there by Vango/Berghaus etc

Sleeping bag  - I’d recommended a good lightweight 3 season synthetic bag (synthetic is better than Down when wet)  also I’d recommended to get a liner for your bag too.

Stove -  the MSR pocket rocket is a good start (lightweight and reliable)

A good light weight waterproof, a decent fleece/body warmer and plenty of base layers (thermals)

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 61
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
March 4, 2021, 1:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Couple of helpful (I hope) bikepacking vids

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 61
Humbercod
March 4, 2021, 5:56pm
Cocktail Drinker
Thank you for all the advice I’ve got myself an adventure bike that I’ve been steadily building the mileage up with long weekends away stopping in b&b’s and Airbnb etc. Now after camping with the family last year I’ve gotten the bug and now I really want to go off the beaten track self sufficient when the weather’s nicer, before tackling Scotland in the Sumner.

I didn’t realise how much you could spend on camping gear but I’ve looked at the 1 man vango tent which is more my budget. I’ve been watching a guy called Paul Messner on YouTube reviewing camping gear, he had a stove calked a jetboil stash (not available in uk yet) which looked very good but expensive, so I will check out the pocket  rocket. What about these ready meals are they the way to go?

I do worry a bit about security being on my own in the middle of nowhere but I suppose that’s all part of the adventure, but I’m looking for a decent bike lock as well (not to heavy) so I can leave my bike safe whilst I go exploring, the odd pub stop etc.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 61
ginnywings
March 4, 2021, 7:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Kryptonite locks have a security promise included.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 61
cmackenzie4
March 4, 2021, 7:25pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Wayfayrer meals are nice but expensive, the chocolate pudding is to die for, they are reasonably heavy though but it’s wet food not dried food so worth it in my opinion, I have a jetboil flash stove and can fully recommend them, quick and easy.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 61
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
March 4, 2021, 10:35pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Kryptonite locks have a security promise included.

A bit on the heavy side though and there is nowhere to carry it on your bike if you've already got loads of bags etc. They are good locks though.

Quoted Text
I’ve got myself an adventure bike that I’ve been steadily building the mileage up

What bike do you have?

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 61
ginnywings
March 5, 2021, 12:20am

Recovering Alcoholic
A frame mounting bracket solves the carrying of the lock. That's where mine was stored.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 61
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
March 5, 2021, 1:26am
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
A frame mounting bracket solves the carrying of the lock. That's where mine was stored.

If you've got bags etc on the top tube and a second bottle cage on the seat tube it doesn't leave a lot of space for a mounting bracket. Not so bad if you've got panniers though, then theres no need for a bag hung from your top tube.

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 61
Humbercod
March 5, 2021, 2:44pm
Cocktail Drinker

A bit on the heavy side though and there is nowhere to carry it on your bike if you've already got loads of bags etc. They are good locks though.

What bike do you have?

Trek Checkpoint! Wasn’t much available to choose from last year but it’s been a good bike very comfortable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 61
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
March 5, 2021, 3:15pm
Snakebite drinker
Very nice bike.

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 61
ginnywings
March 6, 2021, 1:01am

Recovering Alcoholic
We are hoping to get to this area after lockdown is lifted. We plan to do Easter Ross, Wester Ross, Sutherland and the Assynt Mountains, before heading up the top end and ferrying to Orkney and the Shetlands.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 61
cmackenzie4
March 6, 2021, 1:24am

Recovering Alcoholic
I was only watching that video last week Ginny, I commented on it, you won’t be disappointed with Shetland, I can remember being on the Northlink ferry going to Shetland in a force 9 gale  😂 I recommend Eshaness and St Ninian’s isle what beautiful places they are mate, My brother and sister live in Lerwick, my dad is buried on Shetland.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 61
Mariner Timsky
March 12, 2021, 1:43pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
What a fantastic thread this is!! Watched all the fascinating videos

And it just so happens I have recently got into Wild Camping and on a separate thing I have also been looking at a trip to the West of Scotland to go with the family - and you guys have mentioned lots of places and more that I have already researched on

Sorry cmackenzie64 I dont know your name but love to hear your tips on Wildcamping and where you have been

I am new into it so got budget gear - so will be looking to upgrade for when I can get back out and we are allowed to travel freely again - I'm sure we can get away with it now but Its not worth the risk eh and any possible fines etc

Yes great thread all and so refreshing from Town chat!

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 61
cmackenzie4
March 12, 2021, 7:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
What a fantastic thread this is!! Watched all the fascinating videos

And it just so happens I have recently got into Wild Camping and on a separate thing I have also been looking at a trip to the West of Scotland to go with the family - and you guys have mentioned lots of places and more that I have already researched on

Sorry cmackenzie64 I dont know your name but love to hear your tips on Wildcamping and where you have been

I am new into it so got budget gear - so will be looking to upgrade for when I can get back out and we are allowed to travel freely again - I'm sure we can get away with it now but Its not worth the risk eh and any possible fines etc

Yes great thread all and so refreshing from Town chat!

My names Chris and will help you wherever I can mate, I’ve been to the lakes at least 100 times and wild camped over 50 nights in the lakes, I’ve also camped over 100 nights in Scotland in places like Glencoe, Cape Wrath, Torridon, Isle of Skye, Knoydart, Sandwood bay, along the North coast (on the beaches) I’ve also camped on Shetland and Isle of Mull, I can recommend all these places especially Glencoe as the Lost valley is easily accessible from the road (A82) any info needed let me know and I’ll help you with kit and recommendations (depending on budget) it’s a fantastic hobby mate.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 61
Les Brechin
March 12, 2021, 8:37pm

Quoted from cmackenzie4

My names Chris and will help you wherever I can mate, I’ve been to the lakes at least 100 times and wild camped over 50 nights in the lakes, I’ve also camped over 100 nights in Scotland in places like Glencoe, Cape Wrath, Torridon, Isle of Skye, Knoydart, Sandwood bay, along the North coast (on the beaches) I’ve also camped on Shetland and Isle of Mull, I can recommend all these places especially Glencoe as the Lost valley is easily accessible from the road (A82) any info needed let me know and I’ll help you with kit and recommendations (depending on budget) it’s a fantastic hobby mate.

Ha ha, I initially read that as kilt!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 61
DB
March 12, 2021, 10:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 61
KingstonMariner
March 13, 2021, 2:04am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

You and Chris are always awar in the heelands, in yer heids, if not in reality.  Bloody Jocks. 😉😆

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 61
Mariner Timsky
March 25, 2021, 1:10pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Alright Chris

Wow I got to admit that is some Wild Camping experience that is!! Fantastic

Yes so I'm just getting into it really - Got the OEX Phox 1 man tent which is lovely little tent but its only really for sleeping in and that's it - so its ideal for warm summer nights when you can chill outside the tent until its time to get some kip - so I could do with upgrading that perhaps getting a 2 man tent with some room for me and my gear and to at least sit up in! Any recommendations?

I have a Vango Trek Sleeping Mat which actually isn't too bad at all - its compact and light - so happy with that for now - will look at upgrading once that's had its use

The sleeping bag is something I need to sort - I need something small - light compact but nice and warm! Was out in the Peaks with my budget Eurohike bag and I was cold - so defo need to upgrade that!

Happy with my stove and cooking set up - tbh I keep that simple just boil some water for drinks and again water to add to my meals

So got most of what I need really its just getting to that comfort stage really and actually getting good sleep rather than trying to just get through to the morning!

I dont live in the best area for local camping although I have managed to squeeze a couple in not far from my home in Flore (just outside Northampton) - can always walk out at night in the fields and find a spot away from people - good to get some practice in and test out gear and just to spend a night out under the stars - nice and chilled and relaxing

Clothes I got what I need and happy with that - I have an old Vango rucksack which for its age does the job I must of bought it over 20 years ago - so again that could do with an upgrade its a tad heavy but it works fine - love the Osprey ones but wow they are pricey! Any recommendations on decent packs??

Got all the other bits a small table and a little stool - light for my tent and that kind of thing

So yes any tips on enjoying the experience more and what not to take and what to take will be great

Tim

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 61
cmackenzie4
March 25, 2021, 4:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Hi Tim

The Osprey packs are pricey but well worth it mate, I have the Osprey Aether 70 and it’s excellent (so comfortable) carries the weight with ease.

Sleeping bag does depend if you’re a cold sleeper (which I am) or not, I’d recommend a down bag if you’re not going to be in wet climates, if you are get a synthetic one, Rab do some excellent bags both down and synthetic, if not Berghaus and The North Face bags are good value for money, make sure you get a good ground mat though because that makes all the difference, Thermarest do some good mats, also a liner (for your sleeping bag) adds warmth with not much extra weight to worry about.

A good 2 person tent depends on what you’re willing to pay Tim, I fully recommend Hilleberg or Terra Nova, the Terra Nova quasar is a fantastic 2 man tent but does come at a price, it’s very stable and reliable (it’s a Geodesic design) if that is out your price range berghaus do a decent tent I think it’s called the Berghaus Grampian (worth a look) or Vango do some good tents too.

I love wild camping Tim, it does take a bit of time to get your kit you need and it comes with trial and errors (in what to take and what not to take) with regarding weight and comfort, I have a great set up, when I first got into it I used to carry over 25kg with me for a 2/3 day outing but I now have that down to 16kg and that’s with some luxuries (photography equipment and music) you may need a decent water filter too unless you boil your water, most of this stuff can be bought at Millets/Blacks, there are some excellent outdoor shops in Ambleside which cater for everything you need mate.

Let me know if I can help anymore mate, I could even get to meet you one day, I’ve met some good people over the years whilst camping, I’ve also took a lot of my friends wild camping in the past, it’s a great hobby.

Chris

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 61
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › YouTube videos of beautiful places

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.