Mariner Timsky
March 25, 2021, 1:10pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from cmackenzie4

My names Chris and will help you wherever I can mate, I’ve been to the lakes at least 100 times and wild camped over 50 nights in the lakes, I’ve also camped over 100 nights in Scotland in places like Glencoe, Cape Wrath, Torridon, Isle of Skye, Knoydart, Sandwood bay, along the North coast (on the beaches) I’ve also camped on Shetland and Isle of Mull, I can recommend all these places especially Glencoe as the Lost valley is easily accessible from the road (A82) any info needed let me know and I’ll help you with kit and recommendations (depending on budget) it’s a fantastic hobby mate.

Alright Chris

Wow I got to admit that is some Wild Camping experience that is!! Fantastic

Yes so I'm just getting into it really - Got the OEX Phox 1 man tent which is lovely little tent but its only really for sleeping in and that's it - so its ideal for warm summer nights when you can chill outside the tent until its time to get some kip - so I could do with upgrading that perhaps getting a 2 man tent with some room for me and my gear and to at least sit up in! Any recommendations?

I have a Vango Trek Sleeping Mat which actually isn't too bad at all - its compact and light - so happy with that for now - will look at upgrading once that's had its use

The sleeping bag is something I need to sort - I need something small - light compact but nice and warm! Was out in the Peaks with my budget Eurohike bag and I was cold - so defo need to upgrade that!

Happy with my stove and cooking set up - tbh I keep that simple just boil some water for drinks and again water to add to my meals

So got most of what I need really its just getting to that comfort stage really and actually getting good sleep rather than trying to just get through to the morning!

I dont live in the best area for local camping although I have managed to squeeze a couple in not far from my home in Flore (just outside Northampton) - can always walk out at night in the fields and find a spot away from people - good to get some practice in and test out gear and just to spend a night out under the stars - nice and chilled and relaxing

Clothes I got what I need and happy with that - I have an old Vango rucksack which for its age does the job I must of bought it over 20 years ago - so again that could do with an upgrade its a tad heavy but it works fine - love the Osprey ones but wow they are pricey! Any recommendations on decent packs??

Got all the other bits a small table and a little stool - light for my tent and that kind of thing

So yes any tips on enjoying the experience more and what not to take and what to take will be great

Tim

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 61
cmackenzie4
March 25, 2021, 4:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Hi Tim

The Osprey packs are pricey but well worth it mate, I have the Osprey Aether 70 and it’s excellent (so comfortable) carries the weight with ease.

Sleeping bag does depend if you’re a cold sleeper (which I am) or not, I’d recommend a down bag if you’re not going to be in wet climates, if you are get a synthetic one, Rab do some excellent bags both down and synthetic, if not Berghaus and The North Face bags are good value for money, make sure you get a good ground mat though because that makes all the difference, Thermarest do some good mats, also a liner (for your sleeping bag) adds warmth with not much extra weight to worry about.

A good 2 person tent depends on what you’re willing to pay Tim, I fully recommend Hilleberg or Terra Nova, the Terra Nova quasar is a fantastic 2 man tent but does come at a price, it’s very stable and reliable (it’s a Geodesic design) if that is out your price range berghaus do a decent tent I think it’s called the Berghaus Grampian (worth a look) or Vango do some good tents too.

I love wild camping Tim, it does take a bit of time to get your kit you need and it comes with trial and errors (in what to take and what not to take) with regarding weight and comfort, I have a great set up, when I first got into it I used to carry over 25kg with me for a 2/3 day outing but I now have that down to 16kg and that’s with some luxuries (photography equipment and music) you may need a decent water filter too unless you boil your water, most of this stuff can be bought at Millets/Blacks, there are some excellent outdoor shops in Ambleside which cater for everything you need mate.

Let me know if I can help anymore mate, I could even get to meet you one day, I’ve met some good people over the years whilst camping, I’ve also took a lot of my friends wild camping in the past, it’s a great hobby.

Chris

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › YouTube videos of beautiful places

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.