Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Is it time for John Tondeur to be replaced?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 94 Guests

Is it time for John Tondeur to be replaced?

This thread currently has 12,710 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
grimps
February 24, 2021, 6:07pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,103
Gold Stars: 46
He’s the sound track of some of the best away games I listened to on my youth , he’s a legend and irreplaceable in my opinion
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 122
headingly_mariner
February 24, 2021, 6:14pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
FFS no. Also I think Crofty is a really good summariser his analysis of the game is really insightful.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 122
Bristol Mariner
February 24, 2021, 6:26pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Our friend Philippe should commentate after all he’ll have nothing to do next season with his best mate having sailed into the sunset....

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 122
DB
February 24, 2021, 7:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,996
Gold Stars: 386
Frankly, I find some of the comments on this thread embarrassing, offensive and hypocritical.

Many of you post about the importance of mental health and bullying, yet on this thread, and the match threads from last night, some of the language directed towards Town players and John (Tondeur) is unacceptable.

Tondeur has a certain style. He is a Town fan and does get genuinely scared whenever the opposition gets beyond the halfway line. Personally, I would rather have a commentator with character than some robotic doublespeaker from the North Bank.

The time will come when John does have to drop the mic forever but that is for him and his employer to make that decision.

Turning to last night’s match, if you are a footballer, you know when you are playing badly. The more you try, often the worse you play. No matter what you think of Paul Hurst, he is an experienced player and manager and will be perfectly capable of registering if a player is struggling or out of form.

We don’t know on fitness levels of the players on the pitch or those on the bench. There are often reasons why certain substitutions are made and the reasons for them are based on information we are not privy to.

I know we all care about the club, probably too much, but I never understand why there is a need to create a scapegoat. It’s unhealthy for you, it’s unhealthy for the player and it’s unhealthy for the club.

The current squad has been thrown together in a rush and will be short of match practice. It wasn’t a great performance last night but if it has stopped the rot and provided a boost in confidence, performances might improve. It’s going to be tough but we are far from down yet.

Some of you will say I am a hypocrite because of my recent ‘abuse’ of JSF, and you may (lower case) have a point but...

If you don’t like a certain player, chances are neither does the manager and they won’t stick around long.

If you don’t like a certain commentator, you can press mute.

Unfortunately, if a majority shareholder (and multi-millionaire) has sucked virtually all of the joy out of supporting your club, belittled the fans and [censored - defamation], you have to pray for a miracle to finally, hopefully, dislodge them.

That day has almost arrived, so UTM and use your Trust vote carefully

986 words

I have a lot of sympathy with your 986 words KAFV. I don't think that we should criticise JT to the extent of him loosing his job, however justifiable criticism about some of his commentaries is acceptable.

With regard to your protection of Hursty  and the players I can see your point. Hurst is no fool though and should know how to get the best out the players. This group has now been together for over 3 weeks so should have made some form of bonding and as they are all virtually new then their confidence levels should be high. They have no Holloway baggage to bring along.

This is a fans site and fans are entitled to criticise players as they see fit. Choice of words is up to individuals but no different or worse than those shouted out at BP.

Comments on this thread are no different to those on other threads so I don't see why you mentioned it (comments on this thread embarrassing, offensive and hypocritical).

With regard to last nights match the team, Eastwood apart, were crap but we won. We've played a lot better and lost so perhaps the tide is turning in our favour.

UTM

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 122
pen penfras
February 24, 2021, 7:53pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -129
Gold Stars: 71
Frankly, I find some of the comments on this thread embarrassing, offensive and hypocritical.

Many of you post about the importance of mental health and bullying, yet on this thread, and the match threads from last night, some of the language directed towards Town players and John (Tondeur) is unacceptable.

Tondeur has a certain style. He is a Town fan and does get genuinely scared whenever the opposition gets beyond the halfway line. Personally, I would rather have a commentator with character than some robotic doublespeaker from the North Bank.

The time will come when John does have to drop the mic forever but that is for him and his employer to make that decision.

Turning to last night’s match, if you are a footballer, you know when you are playing badly. The more you try, often the worse you play. No matter what you think of Paul Hurst, he is an experienced player and manager and will be perfectly capable of registering if a player is struggling or out of form.

We don’t know on fitness levels of the players on the pitch or those on the bench. There are often reasons why certain substitutions are made and the reasons for them are based on information we are not privy to.

I know we all care about the club, probably too much, but I never understand why there is a need to create a scapegoat. It’s unhealthy for you, it’s unhealthy for the player and it’s unhealthy for the club.

The current squad has been thrown together in a rush and will be short of match practice. It wasn’t a great performance last night but if it has stopped the rot and provided a boost in confidence, performances might improve. It’s going to be tough but we are far from down yet.

Some of you will say I am a hypocrite because of my recent ‘abuse’ of JSF, and you may (lower case) have a point but...

If you don’t like a certain player, chances are neither does the manager and they won’t stick around long.

Unfortunately, if a majority shareholder (and multi-millionaire) has sucked virtually all of the joy out of supporting your club, belittled the fans and [censored - defamation], you have to pray for a miracle to finally, hopefully, dislodge them.

986 words

If anybody on this board is going to complain about somebody being attacked, then it sure as excrement shouldn't be you. Practice what you preach or shut up and let people say what they want, just like you do about other people
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 122
KingstonMariner
February 24, 2021, 8:56pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Boris Johnson

his commentary is not of a required standard he is lazy, and does not have  enough knowledge. He has plenty of time to do research, and he does not do it. Whatever he is earning for a living, its tantamount to theft.  Out and Out Now!

Neither are your posts chum 😆

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 122
KingstonMariner
February 24, 2021, 8:58pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from DB

Agree with what you say but we are paying for RH with our TV licence. We also pay £10 for iFollow so we should get an excellent professional service. Not a heath robinson one.

That’s an issue for iFollow though, not the BBC or Tondeur. I agree stitching radio commentary onto visual media is sub-standard.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 122
psgmariner
February 24, 2021, 9:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33

986 words

Defeating your own argument in one post is quite the achievement! Bravo.

Private Message
Reply: 57 - 122
DB
February 24, 2021, 9:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,996
Gold Stars: 386
Talking of iFollow does anybody know how the £10 is split. I think vat is £1.76 and after that I don't know. Also I wondered how do you find out how many subscribe per match.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 122
toontown
February 24, 2021, 9:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,258
Gold Stars: 70
The reason that JT and Crofty make it clear that Gibson is poor in their commentary is because he is. He is nowhere near league standard. Changing commentators won't magically make him a better player. Perhaps if our highly paid manager at the time had bothered looking at him before signing him on a 3 year contract (!) He would have been of the same opinion, sparing us watching Gibson and JT having to comment on his perennial lack of understanding of the offside rule, amongst other negative traits...

And one of the reasons JT is likely quite negative this season is we are an absolutely dire team, quite possibly the worst in league football we've ever had (until the window). And that's against numerous other poor teams under fenty. Inevitably there is a reflection of this in his commentary.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 122
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Is it time for John Tondeur to be replaced?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.