Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Is it time for John Tondeur to be replaced?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 198 Guests

Is it time for John Tondeur to be replaced?

This thread currently has 12,623 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Son of Cod
February 24, 2021, 3:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.94
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,323
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from pontoonlew

The guy who did Cheltenham and Orient away was brilliant to be fair (the results probably helped).

I really enjoy listening when Martin Gritton is co-commentator, properly knowledgeable and likeable. The fact that he seems so invested in Town despite no obvious connection aside from playing for us for a couple of seasons is a credit to him.

Yeah Martin Gritton is good, always enjoy his co-comms when he does it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 122
Northbank Mariner
February 24, 2021, 3:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,390
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from Boris Johnson

his commentary is not of a required standard he is lazy, and does not have  enough knowledge. He has plenty of time to do research, and he does not do it. Whatever he is earning for a living, its tantamount to theft.  Out and Out Now!

Oh do shut up for once Boris, your constant deriding of people is now beyond tedious. Calling for a person to get the sack purely because he makes the odd ba!!s up is out of order, try Prozac, it may help!..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 122
DB
February 24, 2021, 3:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.55
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,871
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from arryarryarry

Like I have just mentioned in a previous post, JT is doing what he has always done, commentating for Radio Humberside it is just that the IFollow system takes his commentary live like it does for most of the EFL clubs that have IFollow.

He is working for the BBC as it is they that have banned commentators travelling to away games due to Covid so we have to listen to the home commentary for our away games.

Agree with what you say but we are paying for RH with our TV licence. We also pay £10 for iFollow so we should get an excellent professional service. Not a heath robinson one.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 122
Sandford1981
February 24, 2021, 4:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,074
Gold Stars: 59
I’m not Tondeurs biggest fan and often get frustrated by his commentary. But I also get frustrated by the majority of modern commentary teams out there.

Constant and inane chatter filled with self importance and ‘banter’ has no place while the football is on (if that makes me a dinosaur-so be it).

However I’m sure there is at least 1 thread on here already with people airing their grievances about JT.

At the end of the day if it bothers you THAT much, at least in the short term, do as I do and press the mute button.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 122
oochiad
February 24, 2021, 4:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,647
Gold Stars: 27
His account of Waterfall nearly giving away a penalty when it was yards from the box and he did what we all expected him to do, was typical of his negative and wrong description of the match. It happens all the time. I’m not asking for much just someone who could comment on the match accurately, visually and with a level of balanced view. “And again” is his most used opener to a negative slagging off of one of our players and this season he has the name wrong nine times out of ten. You can’t deny it, it happens. It’s all about opinions of course but you read about it now on all the different media platforms that people are sick of it now. If your not watching live and just listen to the radio, your not getting a proper description of what’s happening and that’s the point surely.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 122
Rick12
February 24, 2021, 4:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from diehardmariner
I thought both Tondeur and Croft were far too critical of a lot of the players earlier in the season, especially Gibson who they seemed to have it in for.   But that's eased a bit and whilst still a bit dour and negative at times (aren't we all?) they've perked up a bit and tried to be more positive.
Yes . He's got something as otherwise wouldnt be in the job for as long as he has but  Tondeur can have a negative bias to players not just Gibson but others in the past who have worn the shirt.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 122
GrimRob
February 24, 2021, 5:00pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
The Morecambe game I was forced to listen to the away commentary (no alternative was available to me) and it was so bad I muted it. They were droning on about lots of irrelevant stuff like it was Test Match Special and barely mentioned the game for long periods.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 46 - 122
Sandford1981
February 24, 2021, 5:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,074
Gold Stars: 59
Get this lad in. He’d be splendid and tremendous!

https://youtu.be/Xhlx43rTs2Q

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 122
moosey_club
February 24, 2021, 5:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from oochiad
His account of Waterfall nearly giving away a penalty when it was yards from the box and he did what we all expected him to do, was typical of his negative and wrong description of the match. It happens all the time. I’m not asking for much just someone who could comment on the match accurately, visually and with a level of balanced view. “And again” is his most used opener to a negative slagging off of one of our players and this season he has the name wrong nine times out of ten. You can’t deny it, it happens. It’s all about opinions of course but you read about it now on all the different media platforms that people are sick of it now. If your not watching live and just listen to the radio, your not getting a proper description of what’s happening and that’s the point surely.....

This.
I think last night he even confused Waterfall and Mayenese on one clearance.

I watch most games and family/ friends who dont watch but listen to RH text me worried or anxious based on the commentary alone , whilst we havnt been great admittedly there have been plenty of times where the wrong picture has been painted. My own pet hate..." Rose passes to Adams ....but Adams doesnt quite get there " ...when watching the game you see the pass was overhit or miles off the intended target so no suprise he didnt get there..... but JT makes it sound like the receiver hasnt done enough.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 122
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
February 24, 2021, 5:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,784
Gold Stars: 548
Frankly, I find some of the comments on this thread embarrassing, offensive and hypocritical.

Many of you post about the importance of mental health and bullying, yet on this thread, and the match threads from last night, some of the language directed towards Town players and John (Tondeur) is unacceptable.

Tondeur has a certain style. He is a Town fan and does get genuinely scared whenever the opposition gets beyond the halfway line. Personally, I would rather have a commentator with character than some robotic doublespeaker from the North Bank.

The time will come when John does have to drop the mic forever but that is for him and his employer to make that decision.

Turning to last night’s match, if you are a footballer, you know when you are playing badly. The more you try, often the worse you play. No matter what you think of Paul Hurst, he is an experienced player and manager and will be perfectly capable of registering if a player is struggling or out of form.

We don’t know on fitness levels of the players on the pitch or those on the bench. There are often reasons why certain substitutions are made and the reasons for them are based on information we are not privy to.

I know we all care about the club, probably too much, but I never understand why there is a need to create a scapegoat. It’s unhealthy for you, it’s unhealthy for the player and it’s unhealthy for the club.

The current squad has been thrown together in a rush and will be short of match practice. It wasn’t a great performance last night but if it has stopped the rot and provided a boost in confidence, performances might improve. It’s going to be tough but we are far from down yet.

Some of you will say I am a hypocrite because of my recent ‘abuse’ of JSF, and you may (lower case) have a point but...

If you don’t like a certain player, chances are neither does the manager and they won’t stick around long.

If you don’t like a certain commentator, you can press mute.

Unfortunately, if a majority shareholder (and multi-millionaire) has sucked virtually all of the joy out of supporting your club, belittled the fans and [censored - defamation], you have to pray for a miracle to finally, hopefully, dislodge them.

That day has almost arrived, so UTM and use your Trust vote carefully

986 words
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 122
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Is it time for John Tondeur to be replaced?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.