TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 21, 2021, 4:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ginnywings

Lauded for his past record maybe, but Hurst isn't getting much praise at the moment.

However, given what he has achieved in the past, at more than one club, I think he's more likely to come good than not. Whether he can turn us around in time to avoid the drop is open to conjecture. He inherited one of the biggest piles of cr@p I've seen in almost 50 years watching Town.

It wasn't just a case of inspiring a squad to better performances. It was a complete rebuild of the squad, and that doesn't happen overnight, especially mid season.

I think the time to judge the effectiveness of the appointments here and at other clubs is when the last ball has been kicked this season.

I agree with all that ........... but if somebody doesn’t start popping some goals in very sharpish,  it is all pretty much irrelevant.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 62
gtfc_akpa_akpro
February 21, 2021, 4:42pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / -3
Approval: +104
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from pontoonlew

Not the point I’m making, more offering some context as to quite what situation we find ourselves in. Jolley has been sacked for his record, Hurst has been lauded for his.

For my eye, Hurst has had one game with a group of players he’s signed. It was a poor loss but they’d been together a matter of days. Two weeks training under the belt and a run of game, let’s see what the record is then.

i would really like to know biccys favourite biscuit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 62
pontoonlew
February 21, 2021, 5:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
Quoted from ginnywings

Lauded for his past record maybe, but Hurst isn't getting much praise at the moment.

However, given what he has achieved in the past, at more than one club, I think he's more likely to come good than not. Whether he can turn us around in time to avoid the drop is open to conjecture. He inherited one of the biggest piles of cr@p I've seen in almost 50 years watching Town.

It wasn't just a case of inspiring a squad to better performances. It was a complete rebuild of the squad, and that doesn't happen overnight, especially mid season.

I think the time to judge the effectiveness of the appointments here and at other clubs is when the last ball has been kicked this season.

FWIW I don’t disagree with you and I think Hurst will probably turn it around to some degree.

I do disagree with you on him not being lauded so far, there’s more than enough of it on Twitter
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 62
headingly_mariner
February 21, 2021, 5:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from It Bites

I think Jolley will come good as he did at the start of his time at Grimsby . Keeping Grimsby up that season was miraculous . If Hurst keeps Grimsby up this season he will equal Jolley

When Jolley got the Town job we had 36 points and were 8 points above the relegation places. Hardly a miracle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 62
MeanwoodMariner
February 21, 2021, 5:16pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from headingly_mariner

When Jolley got the Town job we had 36 points and were 8 points above the relegation places. Hardly a miracle.

We hadn’t won for about 5 months though, and as Danny Collins said at the time, we didn’t know where the next shot was coming from let alone the next win! We were 100% going down if Slade hadn’t been replaced. Maybe miracle is too strong a word, but Jolley did absolutely brilliantly to keep us up that year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 62
moosey_club
February 21, 2021, 5:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

We hadn’t won for about 5 months though, and as Danny Collins said at the time, we didn’t know where the next shot was coming from let alone the next win! We were 100% going down if Slade hadn’t been replaced. Maybe miracle is too strong a word, but Jolley did absolutely brilliantly to keep us up that year.

I think people almost forget just how clueless we were under Slade before Jolley came in.
There was a definate improvement in organisation and formation when he came in.
It was his second  season were he went a bit flip chart and football manager computer game on us.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 62
oochiad
February 21, 2021, 5:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,647
Gold Stars: 27
He had  a cushion to start with though, Hurst certainly hasn’t......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 62
arryarryarry
February 21, 2021, 5:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from oochiad
He had  a cushion to start with though, Hurst certainly hasn’t......

We were 4 points ahead of Southend when he joined the club.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 62
ginnywings
February 21, 2021, 6:00pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from pontoonlew

FWIW I don’t disagree with you and I think Hurst will probably turn it around to some degree.

I do disagree with you on him not being lauded so far, there’s more than enough of it on Twitter

That'll be where I'm at a loss then. I don't do Twitter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 62
HertsGTFC
February 21, 2021, 6:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Did anyone mention budget?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Barrow sack Jolley

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.