pen penfras
January 26, 2021, 12:14pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -139
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from aldi_01
Bignot was a clown, perhaps he had a good eye but the man was full of excrement, just like Holloway.

He had a habit of throwing folk under the bus, including himself in the end...

Another statement I don't understand is that Bignot had a good eye for a player. He took over a team on the verge of the playoffs and decided virtually the whole squad needed replacing with more technically able players. Who that he signed has actually gone on to do anything?

Gavin Gunning - Free agent
Jamey Osborne - Solihull Moors
Chris Clements - Cheltenham
Sam Jones - Kettering
Adi Yussuf - Wrexham
Akwasi Asante - Chesterfield

He managed to spend a lot of money, whilst upsetting a solid squad and replacing them with "more technical" players that had attitude problems instead of technical limitations.

The players had complained about him several times before he finally got the boot
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 49
FishOutOfWater
January 26, 2021, 6:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from pen penfras

Another statement I don't understand is that Bignot had a good eye for a player. He took over a team on the verge of the playoffs and decided virtually the whole squad needed replacing with more technically able players. Who that he signed has actually gone on to do anything?

Gavin Gunning - Free agent
Jamey Osborne - Solihull Moors
Chris Clements - Cheltenham
Sam Jones - Kettering
Adi Yussuf - Wrexham
Akwasi Asante - Chesterfield

He managed to spend a lot of money, whilst upsetting a solid squad and replacing them with "more technical" players that had attitude problems instead of technical limitations.

The players had complained about him several times before he finally got the boot

So how much more did he spend than the club received for selling Bogle  ( which I assume wasn't his decision )...

As for upsetting a solid squad, in Bignot's last game ( at Blackpool ) of the starting 11 plus the 3 subs that featured that afternoon, 9 were Hurst signings

Of the Bignot signings on display that day I had no complaints seeing Clements & Osborne in there over Berrett & Summerfield

Likewise as much as I took to Sam Jones, he more than likely wouldn't have been with us had Bogle not been sold during the last few minutes of the January transfer window

All in all I'm of the opinion that Bignot's brief reign wasn't anywhere near as momentous as some would have it

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 32 - 49
pen penfras
January 26, 2021, 7:41pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -139
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

So how much more did he spend than the club received for selling Bogle  ( which I assume wasn't his decision )...

As for upsetting a solid squad, in Bignot's last game ( at Blackpool ) of the starting 11 plus the 3 subs that featured that afternoon, 9 were Hurst signings

Of the Bignot signings on display that day I had no complaints seeing Clements & Osborne in there over Berrett & Summerfield

Likewise as much as I took to Sam Jones, he more than likely wouldn't have been with us had Bogle not been sold during the last few minutes of the January transfer window

All in all I'm of the opinion that Bignot's brief reign wasn't anywhere near as momentous as some would have it

It's not about how much more he spent than we received, it's about the money that he spent was wasted. He spent more money than Hurst and got less out of that money.

Upsetting the squad doesn't mean not playing them, it means we had a good team spirit and he destroyed it. The players were literally asking for him to be sacked.

If he'd have stayed, it'd have been as calamitous as Holloway has left us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 49
davmariner
January 26, 2021, 7:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,860
Gold Stars: 75
Quoted from pen penfras

It's not about how much more he spent than we received, it's about the money that he spent was wasted. He spent more money than Hurst and got less out of that money.

Upsetting the squad doesn't mean not playing them, it means we had a good team spirit and he destroyed it. The players were literally asking for him to be sacked.

Agreed. He was completely bonkers.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 49
FishOutOfWater
January 26, 2021, 8:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from pen penfras

You know that is purely conjecture

There is no way you can prove it (and likewise nor can I disprove it)

In my opinion he was moved out prematurely... probably because our board wanted someone else to come in and take on the opportunity / risk of us falling out of the league.   Again.   It almost worked too!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 35 - 49
KingstonMariner
January 26, 2021, 10:38pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from pen penfras

The same players that achieved naff all after Bignot was sacked. Bad policy to start bowing to pressure from the players. He should have been given time to work through his plan. Not just one mid-season transfer window.

If he was that bad it shows poor recruitment.

Then the berk was appointed that nearly took us out of the League.

That, my friend was calamitous.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 49
Madeleymariner
January 26, 2021, 10:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
Didn't he have the best % win rate since we came back into the league except possibly Hurst
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 49
livosnose
January 26, 2021, 10:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,143
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from Heswall Mariner
I think Sam Jones is now back at Gateshead, Yussuf at Wrexham & Asante is knocking them  in at Chesterfield.

Kettering and not playing as he’s injured. (Sam Jones)

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 49
sam gy
January 27, 2021, 11:21am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,387
Gold Stars: 53
Shows how crap we are when people are claiming Bignopt was good purely because we actually won a couple of games when he was in charge.

On the whole it was crap and it's been well documented that the players didn't like him. His selections were baffling most of the time (hence Bignot Bingo)...distinctively remember a terrible game away at Stevenage when we ended up with about 5 strikers on the pitch.

He signed some good players, but theres more to a player than just ability. There was seemingly no background or character checks, he just chucked money at players who didn't really wanna be here/didn't wanna travel/didn't wanna relocate.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.