FishOutOfWater
January 25, 2021, 7:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from aldi_01

I agree, after all the games, that’s not the one you’d expect him to have been given the boot...that said, I guess he became a victim of the never ending nonsense that is the overall leadership of GTFC.

I didn’t rate Bignot or his football but he did have an eye for a player and perhaps he was sold a dud, not the first and won’t be the last.

Will probably be forever remembered purely because of that Blackpool win and the short spell in charge...

I've heard his fate was sealed when we were drubbed by Doncaster

That was a bitter pill to swallow admittedly but bouncing back in style at Blackpool the following week ( who actually got promoted the next month via the play-offs ) I thought we had the basis of a good team

Shows that I just don't have what it takes to be the non-chairman of a lower league football club....  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 49
Abdul19
January 25, 2021, 9:22pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,554
Gold Stars: 215
Certainly had a good eye for a player. Realised after 5 games that Berrett was fucking shit!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 49
HertsGTFC
January 25, 2021, 9:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Prior to Holloway arriving I thought we’d dodged a bullet with Bignot but on reflection he probably had something and given time who knows maybe he could have replicated something like he did at Solihull.

One think that I often think about is if he’d have stayed would Osborne have stayed? That lad has talent. Would Sam Jones have progressed into the player many thought he would be etc.. etc..

He did some mad stuff like playing an experimental side against a free scoring Doncaster side and then there was the bus incident with Henderson.

Like a say putting Bignot’s time here versus Holloway’s apart from the QPR links there where parallels but on reflection I’d have been surprised if he stayed that Bignot would have left us in the mess Holloway has.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 49
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 25, 2021, 9:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73
Quoted from aldi_01

I agree, after all the games, that’s not the one you’d expect him to have been given the boot...that said, I guess he became a victim of the never ending nonsense that is the overall leadership of GTFC.

I didn’t rate Bignot or his football but he did have an eye for a player and perhaps he was sold a dud, not the first and won’t be the last.

Will probably be forever remembered purely because of that Blackpool win and the short spell in charge...

Seem to recall a 3-0 win at Plymouth and a 3-1 away win at Carlisle on New Years Day when they were top of the league. He was certainly different & definitely brought in too many players that January and like all managers some were crap others excellent, Osbourne and Jones (while it lasted) and I was sorry he got the boot but accept his career has not taken off since his time with us.

Good luck to him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 49
KingstonMariner
January 26, 2021, 12:36am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
It’s probably not helped Bignot that he was sacked by us, a 4th division club. But I’ve always maintained he should have been given more time. like every manager at Town under Fenty, including Slade II, he was copulated over.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 49
Nutsy
January 26, 2021, 8:58am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +139
Gold Stars: 5
I'm struggling to remember (probably a good thing), but who were the good and bad players he signed?

Not after an exhaustive list, but just some of the names
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 49
psgmariner
January 26, 2021, 10:50am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Signings under Marcus Bignot
Permanent transfers;

Gavin Gunning
Joined from: Greenock Morton
Current club: Free agent

Jamey Osborne
Joined from: Solihull Moors
Current club: Solihull Moors

Chris Clements
Joined from: Mansfield Town
Current club: Cheltenham

Sam Jones
Joined from: Gateshead
Current club: Shrewsbury

Adi Yussuf
Joined from: Mansfield Town
Current club: Blackpool

Akwasi Asante
Joined from: Solihull Moors
Current club: Chester

Loan deals;

Luke Maxwell
Joined from: Birmingham City
Current club: Solihull Moors

Brandon Comley
Joined from: QPR
Current club: Colchester United

Calum Dyson
Joined from: Everton
Current club: Plymouth Argyle

Taken from this old Telegraph article so the current clubs bit is out of date for many of them now.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.c.....gue-signings-2939338

Private Message
Reply: 26 - 49
ginnywings
January 26, 2021, 11:28am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,112
Gold Stars: 548
Asante plays for Chesterfield, not Chester. Signed for them in October and has scored 6 in 7 games. Another decent looking signing that floundered when here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 49
Heswall Mariner
January 26, 2021, 11:29am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +590
Gold Stars: 30
I think Sam Jones is now back at Gateshead, Yussuf at Wrexham & Asante is knocking them  in at Chesterfield.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 49
Heswall Mariner
January 26, 2021, 11:29am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +590
Gold Stars: 30
I think Sam Jones is now back at Gateshead, Yussuf at Wrexham & Asante is knocking them  in at Chesterfield.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Marcus Bignot

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.