Reply: 10 - 49
ginnywings
January 25, 2021, 2:29pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
I liked Bignot personally. Fenty labelled him as mad, when what he meant was that he got Fenty mad for spending too much money. Slades first job was to slash and burn the squad to get the wage bill down to an acceptable level for the "best run club in the country".
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 49
Rick12
January 25, 2021, 2:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Nutsy
...has just been announced as Aston Villa's womens team manager

Good move for him
Yes genuinely liked him. Had character .Good luck to him.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 49
Abdul19
January 25, 2021, 3:13pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,545
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Boris Johnson
isnt his Mrs an ex or current England International?

Ireland

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 49
Fillipe Noche
January 25, 2021, 3:33pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
He was in the women’s game previously in the women’s game, doing very well at Birmingham City.

There’s some top people in ladies footie. I know he messed up massively but Sampson did great with England. Neville did okay too. It seems to be getting better and better and attracting names.

Some brilliant women coaches too, and I think it will only be a matter of time until we see a woman managing a men’s pro team. Emma Hayes at Chelsea his often been mentioned as the one that might make the break through. It’s only a matter of time until it happens. There will be a woman that makes it in the men’s game. I know there will be some amongst us that will dread the thought of it, but I think it’s inevitable

I wonder if you asked women players if they would prefer a male or female manager, if they would be as fussed compared to what men would?

Nice enough fella Bignot was when he was here, but I always got the impression he was a bit out of his depth and tried to mask that with his nice sense of humour
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 49
diehardmariner
January 25, 2021, 3:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,530
Gold Stars: 536
Bignot always maintained he was given a remit to build something from the bottom up and that he had time to do so.

Regardless of results, he was here for just over 5 months.  

Mad as a bag of frogs, full of sound bites, never knew his best side, probably focused too much on building something rather than balancing it out with actually competing in a league campaign...but I still believe him when he says he was told he had time.

Kinda smacks of the club when we bring someone in, give them an expectation to meet but don't back them up with the resource.  Then blame them for not achieving it and kick the can down the road.

Bignot had made a huge step up in coming here.   If he was here for the long-term the club should have supported him by putting an experienced head in with him, someone to just guide him through that first couple of years.  Instead they just presumed that what works with part-timers in the Conference North can be adopted in League Two.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 49
londonmariner2
January 25, 2021, 4:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: -24
Gold Stars: 1
i mostly enjoyed watching Town under Bignott. He had some interesting players and never a dull moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 49
Garth
January 25, 2021, 6:12pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from londonmariner2
i mostly enjoyed watching Town under Bignott. He had some interesting players and never a dull moment.

He was Gavin's female dog, the questionnaire with the kids was the most toe curling embarrassing thing I've ever seen
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 49
FishOutOfWater
January 25, 2021, 7:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,568
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from moosey_club
He may have achieved very little in reality but he was definately cut short in what he was trying to do.
His major mistake was writing the season off too early, that game against Donny just lost any of the support he had.

Omar seemed to respond well to him, he got players performing for us which subsequent managers didnt and his policy was to set up an academy for second chances, those players who get rejected at 18-20 from the Prem set ups.

Never got the chance to run with it as he committed the no.1 crime of not watching the pennies.....tut tut.

Think he had some good man management skills but maybe lacked in other areas.

I've never understood this about the Bignot reign

The "club" made a fortune from the sale of Bogle ( well when I say club you get my drift ) so why shouldn't he spend the money received to achieve his long term aims?

Maybe just me being a bit dim but I never thought on the trip back from Blackpool that he'd be out of the door and Slade in place less than 48 hours later
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 49
aldi_01
January 25, 2021, 7:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I've never understood this about the Bignot reign

The "club" made a fortune from the sale of Bogle ( well when I say club you get my drift ) so why shouldn't he spend the money received to achieve his long term aims?

Maybe just me being a bit dim but I never thought on the trip back from Blackpool that he'd be out of the door and Slade in place less than 48 hours later

I agree, after all the games, that’s not the one you’d expect him to have been given the boot...that said, I guess he became a victim of the never ending nonsense that is the overall leadership of GTFC.

I didn’t rate Bignot or his football but he did have an eye for a player and perhaps he was sold a dud, not the first and won’t be the last.

Will probably be forever remembered purely because of that Blackpool win and the short spell in charge...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Marcus Bignot

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.