Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Teams that play in black and white...
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 266 Guests

Teams that play in black and white...

This thread currently has 2,626 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
January 25, 2021, 8:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
SC Portimonense play in black & white, small town team in the Primeira Liga in Portugal. Basically, they do what we used to, play above their level. However, there’s talk that they might get taken over by the group that own Man City. Would be quite sad.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 26
Reverendmariner
January 25, 2021, 8:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +275
The "other" GTFC, the mighty Gingerbreads....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 26
moosey_club
January 25, 2021, 9:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from moss_side_mariner
The year Notts. County were relegated from the league, they had a black horizontal band across the top of their shirts fro shoulder to shoulder.

A bit like ours this season.

They also had a load of cr@p players inside the shirt as well...............a bit like ours this season

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 26
moss_side_mariner
January 26, 2021, 9:49am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +9 / 0
Approval: +1,043
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from moosey_club

They also had a load of cr@p players inside the shirt as well...............a bit like ours this season

Fair point, well made.

from the banks of the river humber, to the shores of sicilly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 26
tanga_the_indestructible
January 26, 2021, 10:30am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +620
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from ginnywings

Try telling that to their fans. They seem to have a chairman that is a Premier League version of John Fenty, unwilling to invest in top class players and always looking to get out.

It was just a random musing that I had about teams in black and white kits, nothing more, and I did say English teams.

We didn't always play in black and white stripes of course, adopting them in 1925, after which, we probably had our best years up to the war. We may be sh1te now, but I believe better times are coming and the stripes will be back.

Don't know if you've ever read any of the academic research into this, but there's a lot of evidence to suggest that teams in red are more successful than those who aren't. Also, teams in stripes are less likely to be successful, though I think that's more to do with the fact there are fewer of them (Barcelona and Juve are the ones that buck that trend). Last team to win the league wearing stripes in England was Sunderland in 1936.

https://www.thatthinkingfeeling.co.uk/blog/red-kit-team-win-at-sports

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sp.....es-just-dont-it.html
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 26
Withnail
January 26, 2021, 10:59am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
Last team to win the league wearing stripes in England was Sunderland in 1936.

That's a cracking bit of trivia about the last team to win the top flight in stripes, Tanga.

Incredible it's that long ago.

I had seen that research which suggests teams in red usually do better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 26
ginnywings
January 26, 2021, 11:34am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,112
Gold Stars: 548

Don't know if you've ever read any of the academic research into this, but there's a lot of evidence to suggest that teams in red are more successful than those who aren't. Also, teams in stripes are less likely to be successful, though I think that's more to do with the fact there are fewer of them (Barcelona and Juve are the ones that buck that trend). Last team to win the league wearing stripes in England was Sunderland in 1936.

https://www.thatthinkingfeeling.co.uk/blog/red-kit-team-win-at-sports

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sp.....es-just-dont-it.html

Yes, I was aware of the research. It does seem strange and something that has always fascinated me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Teams that play in black and white...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.