davmariner
January 24, 2021, 9:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,912
Gold Stars: 79
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e-TgqpobVu0&feature=emb_title

Just been watching clips of our promotion season. Feels a bit sad that after all the hard work and emotion of getting promoted, that this bunch of lazy, effortless w@nker players are undoing all of that.

Also just had a reread of Poojah’s rant from when we went down. Feels as if much of what he says applies to this team too.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose!

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
friskneymariner
January 24, 2021, 9:37pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
We got to the player off final due to one thing and that was Monkhouse was injured and Marshall played.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 10
Abdul19
January 24, 2021, 10:13pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,532
Gold Stars: 215
That's two.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
LH
January 24, 2021, 10:16pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,492
Gold Stars: 173
One if the top ten individual Town performances of all time from Marshall that day. Might be controversial but I’m sticking with it.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 10
Poojah
January 24, 2021, 10:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,459
Gold Stars: 1,500
The cruelest thing is having to endure our latest demise from the distance of a phone, laptop or TV screen. There is no outlet for your anger and frustration, no way of connecting with this current crop of gutless wonders.

I feel differently to how I felt in 2010. This time it’s just sadness and disappointment that we’re here again when for a modicum of competent running of the club we wouldn’t be.

The thing that hurts me most, and I don’t think this is self indulgence, I believe that pound for pound we have one of the best fan bases in the country. We didn’t deserve this the first time round, much less this time with all that was done to drag ourselves out of the non-league abyss.

As much as it hurts, it is also a crum of comfort. The people of Grimsby and Cleethorpes, the supporters of Grimsby Town FC, are a rugged and resourceful bunch. I am confident that if the worst should happen, and it may well, we - along with our soon to be new owners - will ensure that this great club returns to the football league once again.

And when it does, freed from the calamitous shackles of the outgoing regime, it will, finally, thrive.

Don’t let the bàstards grind you down.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 10
Poojah
January 24, 2021, 10:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,459
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from LH
One if the top ten individual Town performances of all time from Marshall that day. Might be controversial but I’m sticking with it.

You’re possibly pushing it there, but top 10 impact sub appearances I’ll give you.

Never really got Marcus Marshall, clearly some talent there but despite the absence of any obvious attitude problem he was never able to do it consistently. Still only 31 and according to a quick Wikipedia check, currently at Basford United. No, me neither.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 10
friskneymariner
January 24, 2021, 10:57pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19
That's two.

a is consequential of b.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 10
Davec
January 25, 2021, 7:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Marshall was excellent that day when he came off the bench after like 5 months without playing. I don't know who was surprised more, him at playing a part or us seeing him play a part.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 10
RichMariner
January 25, 2021, 12:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,131
Gold Stars: 209
Ah, the old 'Monkhouse got injured and a Braintree defender went mad' argument, neatly bypassing everything — all of Amond's previous 36 goals, for example — that got us to the playoffs.

Also, we had to beat Forest Green in the final. Bogle's two goals and Arnold's strike don't seem to count for much in this 'Monkhouse' narrative.

Really frustrates me.

It's like when we got relegated in the last minute of the 2003/4 season, because Chesterfield scored. That goal didn't relegate us; the previous 46 games did.

We got promoted fair and square, and deservedly so. No, it wasn't perfect, but when is football perfect?

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 8 - 10
arryarryarry
January 25, 2021, 1:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,037
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from friskneymariner
We got to the player off final due to one thing and that was Monkhouse was injured and Marshall played.

And there was me thinking it was because a stupid Braintree defender dragged down Gowling in front of the ref.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 10
friskneymariner
January 25, 2021, 1:38pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

And there was me thinking it was because a stupid Braintree defender dragged down Gowling in front of the ref.

Have you forgot how dreadful we were in the home leg.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How we were promoted

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.