2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
January 25, 2021, 12:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Too many of our players can be criticised for not running or working hard enough. It's one of the reasons we're in the mire because, on paper at least, I'd argue we have enough quality to stay up.

But games aren't won on paper and I think Holloway created a culture where players were given a bit too much freedom, not enough coaching and direction. A bit like Newell letting the lads drink. 'I'm just a chilled-out entertainer' David Brent style boss. Everyone's mate, but also no one's mate.

There was talk about that 'run' Holloway made the players do, and certain levels of fitness he expected, but just about any professional who has ever missed a pre-season through injury will tell you that if you miss pre-season, you're forever playing catch-up.

There is no doubt in my mind that not playing pre-season games is the single biggest reason why we're not able to run ourselves into the ground.

Hurst's comment about us walking off the pitch looking fresh is possible misconstrued because I don't think these players are capable of anything more than a leisurely amble based on the fact that they don't have core fitness from pre-season.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 10 - 11
Withnail
January 25, 2021, 4:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,425
Gold Stars: 33
A lot of good that did him. Sacked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 11
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › "You don't run, you don't get picked!"

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.