January 24, 2021, 12:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.55
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,880
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from arryarryarry

Erm..................we've been terrible most games this season

No it's not, it's about having some quality players, it's about players with the attitude for a fight, it's about players who can create chances, it's about players who can score goals and keep them out at the other end and it's about a manager who can get his team to win games.

I agree arry. You would think they had all got new contracts for 2 years. Who's going to sign a bunch of losers in the summer. They know they will not be here in the summer but you would have thought that they would want to make an impression. No personal motivation or enthusiasm from any of them.

Hurst is not daft but I don't think he realised how bad the squad is until he came. It also looks like the people he wants in don't want to come, after any semi decent players do not want relegation on their cv.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 15
davmariner
January 24, 2021, 12:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,860
Gold Stars: 75
We can’t score for toffee, don’t create chances, don’t have shots on target and concede goals willy nilly. That’s my perspective.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 15
RichMariner
January 24, 2021, 12:43am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Hurst is good at building teams. Sadly, I don't think he's an 'impact' manager, as his focus is usually on morale and togetherness, which takes time.

He talks a lot about his baseline being teamwork and running yourself into the ground. At the moment, he doesn't have a team that works hard for each other. I don't detect any togetherness, or anything of what Hurst expects as a minimum. And he's got very little time — and very little funds — to change that. He's going to have to adapt his philosophies and approaches to get us out of this mess.

This ain't a dig at him. I'm right behind Hurst and I still think it's a sensible appointment. If we can get ourselves over the line here I think we can look forward to a more positive future.

He had 31 games to turn Shrewsbury's fortunes around. He dragged them to safety by winning 41 points in that time. There were probably some home truths said back then as well.

You look at players like McKeown, Hendrie, Waterfall, Rose, Clifton, Morais, Wright, Scannell, Hanson, etc — there's no real doubt in my mind that they have enough skill to retain a place in L2, so if they can ALL work as hard as Hurst expects them to work (one or two might be already) then we will be okay.

If Hurst fixes the attitude thing, and gets them fighting for each other, we might not have to rely on new signings totally.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 14 - 15
DB
January 24, 2021, 12:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.55
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,880
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from RichMariner
Hurst is good at building teams. Sadly, I don't think he's an 'impact' manager, as his focus is usually on morale and togetherness, which takes time.

He talks a lot about his baseline being teamwork and running yourself into the ground. At the moment, he doesn't have a team that works hard for each other. I don't detect any togetherness, or anything of what Hurst expects as a minimum. And he's got very little time — and very little funds — to change that. He's going to have to adapt his philosophies and approaches to get us out of this mess.

This ain't a dig at him. I'm right behind Hurst and I still think it's a sensible appointment. If we can get ourselves over the line here I think we can look forward to a more positive future.

He had 31 games to turn Shrewsbury's fortunes around. He dragged them to safety by winning 41 points in that time. There were probably some home truths said back then as well.

You look at players like McKeown, Hendrie, Waterfall, Rose, Clifton, Morais, Wright, Scannell, Hanson, etc — there's no real doubt in my mind that they have enough skill to retain a place in L2, so if they can ALL work as hard as Hurst expects them to work (one or two might be already) then we will be okay.

If Hurst fixes the attitude thing, and gets them fighting for each other, we might not have to rely on new signings totally.

That's a very big IF. 6 games in Jan, 18 points available. 1 point in 4 games and 6 points to play for. After Jan it's 19 games left and they are running down fast. Those with skills, as you suggest, have had time to show them if they existed. Hursty said there are those in the dressing room who don't care, end of motivation talk.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 15
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Perspective

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.