Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 299 Guests

Hurst

This thread currently has 29,093 views. Print
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Northbank Mariner
January 23, 2021, 8:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Add Spokes and Williams to that list.

Actually Spokes offers something, thought he did okay today, give him a few games he'll come good, Williams however I expected more of, couple of decent dribbles but most at the end of them..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 167
HertsGTFC
January 23, 2021, 8:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Actually Spokes offers something, thought he did okay today, give him a few games he'll come good, Williams however I expected more of, couple of decent dribbles but most at the end of them..

I haven’t seen that in Spokes but like you say he needs a few games on the bang.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 167
Northbank Mariner
January 23, 2021, 8:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I haven’t seen that in Spokes but like you say he needs a few games on the bang.

I especially watched him today, he's good with the ball, holds it well but he needs to learn to come for the ball, a couple of passes he waited for the ball to come to him and we know in leagues football you don't get that time, he's a player I think will improve dramatically under Hurst and Doig to be honest..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 167
GY1
January 23, 2021, 9:38pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +129
Gold Stars: 1
I think Hurst was dealt a bad hand when he came in and I think he is a decent manager, but he knew what he was getting into. Among many other things, a managers job is to find a way motivate people. I don't think quality players are lining up to come here, so he has to rely on what he's got. If individuals haven't got the skills needed, all that can be done in the short term is to get them playing as a team, wanting to play, working for each other with a great team spirit to make up for what's lacking in individual skills. That can go along way.

Hurst didn't help matters when upon arrival, he stated that the team weren't good enough and he would have to bring in 7/8 new players! Whilst that may have been his honest assessment, he didn't have to make it public, unless he thought that would motivate his players? With new signings proving difficult to bring in, I hope he can find some way of motivating the players that we have. UTMM!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 167
MuddyWaters
January 23, 2021, 9:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,882
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from GY1
I think Hurst was dealt a bad hand when he came in and I think he is a decent manager, but he knew what he was getting into. Among many other things, a managers job is to find a way motivate people. I don't think quality players are lining up to come here, so he has to rely on what he's got. If individuals haven't got the skills needed, all that can be done in the short term is to get them playing as a team, wanting to play, working for each other with a great team spirit to make up for what's lacking in individual skills. That can go along way.

Hurst didn't help matters when upon arrival, he stated that the team weren't good enough and he would have to bring in 7/8 new players! Whilst that may have been his honest assessment, he didn't have to make it public, unless he thought that would motivate his players? With new signings proving difficult to bring in, I hope he can find some way of motivating the players that we have. UTMM!!

I suspect he’s got a free pass to next season together with a hefty bonus to keep us up. There’s no other explanation as to why he would take the job. Clearly, according to Swann’s interview the other evening, he was still on the Scunny payroll till he moved to us.
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 167
Poojah
January 23, 2021, 9:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,153
Gold Stars: 1,489
Quoted from aldi_01

He’s not flipping Jesus. This lot needs putting down. They’re flipping abysmal.

Oh, they’re going down alright, don’t you worry about that.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 167
toontown
January 23, 2021, 10:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
For those saying green  won't start again well Hurst had the chance to take him off at half time after seeing the performance we all watched, and chose to send him out for the second half.

I can't explain it either but looks like Hurst feels green is the least worst option of green Gibson Jackson.

Personally I'd give either of the others a chance (and I am by no means saying I think either of the others are league 2 standard).

I would actually rather play Hanson on his own and 5 in midfield.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 167
lew chaterleys lover
January 23, 2021, 11:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from GY1

There has been no upturn at all has there - even in such a basic thing as motivation or even effort. Fell away badly at Vale, today of course, never got going in any of the other games either. I think we have scored 1 consolation goal, haven't we?

You normally get some response from players when a new manager comes in, but it is as flat as a pancake.

Despite our perilous position it looked like a good opportunity for Hurst to make a quick impression by playing a standard system, settled team and make us much harder to break down and beat.

No wonder he was an angry man today, if what he normally does at clubs has fallen on deaf ears what does he do?

I still cannot get my head around why the players are SO bad. There is nothing there - even the experienced players look like they have never played the game before.

Private Message
Reply: 87 - 167
HarrogateMariner
January 23, 2021, 11:20pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +461
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from GY1
I

This is spot on for me the mistake Hurst made from the start. Almost from the first minute he made it very clear he thought the players were not good enough. Now he may well be right, but with morale already low and many players out of contract end of the season  they probably instantly thought I am finished here. He should of sent out a message of the slate is clean for everyone,  prove to me you are good enough not only for this season but to be part of my plans next year. Imagine being told now in your job that in 4 months time you will be out of work. Your not going to be as motivated are you? I don't for one second want him sacked or blame him for this mess, but I think this was a mistake. Like it or not, most players are not playing for him, that was plainly clear today. As a result I don't think he can keep selecting some players who are obviously gone end of season. What that leaves us with I don't know, but we need 11 prepared to fight every second, and apart from Pollock, Wright, Clifton and maybe Hendrie, I don't see any more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 167
Humbercod
January 23, 2021, 11:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Approval: -3,492
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from GY1

Absolutely! the majority on here we’re  so sure Hurst was going to be the returning messiah they would rather give him a free pass then admit (if we get relegated) they were wrong. This was pretty much the same Scunny team we beat a month ago, yet today we got totally outplayed without barely mustering a shot on target.
I really hope he can turn this around and keep us up (the minimum job requirements) but ultimately if we do get relegated the buck stops with him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 167
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.