Sir Matt Tease
January 24, 2021, 9:13pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +285
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from MarinerWY

I don't get this. Hurst has quite a monotone, dour voice. That isnt going to change. It's the content of what he says, and I dont think the fact he didn't stamp his feet and shout a lot means he wasnt necessarily harsh, passionate and blunt.

He directly said that people need to consider their futures in football. He said he was embarrassed and didn't want to be associated with the performance. He said that people had failed the most basic requirement of showing fight, and said he'd have certain Scunny players over them all day long.

So he didn't say it in an animated, charismatic way. That's not his personality. But I'm more interested in substance than cheap charisma: after all, Holloway could talk the talk and say a lot of nothing in a 'characterful way'. So could Bignot, I remember.

So people just dont like Hurst and anything he does wont be right by them tbh. I thought he spoke much more passionately than he'd allowed himself to in his last tenure here, and I think it was needed.

Your post sort of answers the point that I was trying to make. The last person the players see before taking the pitch is the manager and its his job to instil PASSION, PASSION, PASSION !

Listening to Hurst I would find it very difficult to become motivated !

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 167
chipsandgravy
January 24, 2021, 9:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,597
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease

Sorry Chips, something far more important than this conversation cropped up...................................Countryfile was on !

No problem mate....totally understand when you have a small farm to run!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 167
lew chaterleys lover
January 24, 2021, 9:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Hurst is a manager who needs players he can trust and who grasp his way of playing. He would not have been my choice and I didn’t rate him before,  but he’s here and we can’t start changing again. If Hurst can sign two,  three or four players he has worked with before then I think we might escape. Otherwise I don’t think he can get much out of the present squad and we’ve had it.

I think there is a lot of truth in that. Managers accrue players they can trust over the years don't they? Buckley was a prime example - he used to take his favourite players everywhere with him!

He really ought to be able to get more out of the present bunch though, surely? I am still scratching my head as to just how bad we have become. I posted last week I thought the Southend game was the worst yet, and then followed yesterdays debacle. Some of the players, Waterfall, Hendrie, Williams Scannell and Rose for example have had decent careers and should be able to provide something.  

Of course, we also have the situation that Holloway was trying to play a more expansive open passing game, whilst until we get the team Hurst wants God knows what we are trying to do.

Anyway, we will know by the end of the week what is likely to happen. Either he gets in enough players that he is comfortable with and it all starts to click or it goes belly up.
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 167
Sir Matt Tease
January 24, 2021, 9:42pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +285
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from chipsandgravy

No problem mate....totally understand when you have a small farm to run!!

It's sheep next !!!!!!!!!!!!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 167
MarinerWY
January 24, 2021, 10:18pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47

Your post sort of answers the point that I was trying to make. The last person the players see before taking the pitch is the manager and its his job to instil PASSION, PASSION, PASSION !

I think this places far too much weight on one person to be honest.

Of course the manager is ultimately responsible for bringing people in, tactics, identifying development areas, managing personalities etc.. amongst other things - and yes, motivating the team.

But there has to be some flipping personal responsibility from the players. They are professionals after all. A good manager can make them go the extra 10%, but they need to be putting in 80/90% in the first place. Suggesting the players couldn't be arsed cos they didn't get the right motivational speech off the manager is letting them off the hook to say the least.

I've worked in teams with a motivational team leader who can get people fired up. But it's not like when we didn't have that, we all went "well intercourse it, I cant be arsed to do my job cos I havent had the right pep talk".

I expect a base standard of motivation from professional footballers, regardless of whether they've had a Rocky speech from the manager. And if that base standard of motivation isnt there, I honestly wouldnt expect any manager to be able to magic it up: the players need to do their bit first and the manager can then mould it and lift it to make it effective.
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 167
GY1
January 24, 2021, 11:22pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +133
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from MarinerWY

I think this places far too much weight on one person to be honest.

Of course the manager is ultimately responsible for bringing people in, tactics, identifying development areas, managing personalities etc.. amongst other things - and yes, motivating the team.

But there has to be some flipping personal responsibility from the players. They are professionals after all. A good manager can make them go the extra 10%, but they need to be putting in 80/90% in the first place. Suggesting the players couldn't be arsed cos they didn't get the right motivational speech off the manager is letting them off the hook to say the least.

I've worked in teams with a motivational team leader who can get people fired up. But it's not like when we didn't have that, we all went "well intercourse it, I cant be arsed to do my job cos I havent had the right pep talk".

I expect a base standard of motivation from professional footballers, regardless of whether they've had a Rocky speech from the manager. And if that base standard of motivation isnt there, I honestly wouldnt expect any manager to be able to magic it up: the players need to do their bit first and the manager can then mould it and lift it to make it effective.

I happen to think Hurst is a decent manager and is as good as we are likely to get in this division. I agree with most of what you have said, but now what?  As I said, I understand his frustration and anger, but if it's not working, the manager has to find a way to affect the outcomes of the games That's his job, even though he inherited the squad.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 167
essexexile
January 25, 2021, 12:05am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +186
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from smokey111

Not getting into a love in, but I agree with all of this Limerick. Horrible phrase, but I think it is game management. For me it is getting in the ear of the ref, fourth official and linos. Tactical fouls, niggly tackles etc. All the things that we hate other sides doing to us.

Yeh but we don’t have the leaders in the side to do that
We can’t even lay off, we get too tight give easy free kicks away, our game management is non existent
We don’t give ourselves a chance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 167
DB
January 25, 2021, 1:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.48
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,000
Gold Stars: 386
Hursty can say and do as he likes on the training ground and in the dressing room. Once those so called 'professional' employees cross the line it is them who have to put in a shift.

Imagine any other man in a job not doing what he was trained for, be it food factory, car factory, shop etc.. Would the supervisor/foreman (Macca in our case) take responsibility or the manager? Macca seems to have been missed for his lack of inept leadership on the pitch.

He is the team captain, like it or not, so he should be an example, a leader. His own personal performances, as a whole, have been dire this season. He is not the keeper he was and sadly has to go, but also for his other failure to lead on the pitch.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 167
cannylad68
January 25, 2021, 10:20am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
Can someone explain the point that Hurst isn't getting motivation from the team?

I don't remember, did Holloway?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 167
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 25, 2021, 10:31am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23

I think Mr Hurst has been known to raise his voice! No, I know what you mean, teacups and chicken legs? But not every manager works like Sean Bean on Yorkshire Tea.    These are professional players and while they may need reminders that is how they earn their living, that should be enough of a motivation as an individual. That is one reason Coke may possibly be useful, we need leaders on the field, big gobs and examples.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 167
17 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.