DB
January 24, 2021, 5:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,996
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Steve Richards

Could not agree more. We will need to keep virtually all the players we now have and get the most out of them. Reading up about him he was a very promising player with 7 caps for Wales playing a lot of the qualifying games but did his MCL then fought back to get to the Euros. Then last year broke his leg and and again fought back and didn’t give up. I don’t think he has played 2 in a row. Yes he needs to step up and make himself the obvious choice but that’s hard to do unless you get a run of games and someone that believes in you! I hope PH can get best out of him and some of the other players who are not firing on all or in some cases all cylinders. People also need to understand what different players bring to the party. He isn’t a crunching tackler in the centre of midfield but that’s what some people are judging him on. Play to peoples strengths show belief in them that’s the job of a manager and hopefully PH will!

I don't know which match you saw but it was not any of these Scunny, Vale, Southend or Cambridge. The most I saw any of them put any effort in was the second half against Cambridge, and that  was nowhere near good enough. After that any team on Bradley pitches would have given better performances.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 167
Sir Matt Tease
January 24, 2021, 5:07pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +282
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from chipsandgravy

The difference with Mansfield Sir Matt is that they were a decent team playing badly as opposed to us who are a very poor team team playing badly which makes Hurst's job far more difficult to Clough's.
Incidentally if your weren't happy with Hurst's appointment realistically who would you have preffered given the situation we were faced with?
Other than that go feed your chickens!!

Dear Chips,

Points raised, 1/ Why were Mansfield a decent team ? Their league position prior to the arrival of Clough would not suggest so !
                       2/ Anybody but Hurst !
                       3/ You know that the chickens are not my department !

PS, Please tell me that you are not happy with that shower of excrement yesterday, I recall many a time under Hurst's previous tenure that you would quite happily have shot him on the spot ! (Think Chester away) !

Have a lovely evening, Sir Matt  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 167
arryarryarry
January 24, 2021, 5:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from davmariner

That’s because Hurst has managed to ship a fair few of the loanees out. It’s also not just about who Holloway has signed, it’s what he’s left us with. A squad low on ability, low on confidence, low on fitness, low on desire and heading for non league.

Surely the low on confidence and low on desire are now the responsibility of Paul Hurst as well as the fitness and so far I haven't seen any improvement in any of those.
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 167
DB
January 24, 2021, 6:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Surely the low on confidence and low on desire are now the responsibility of Paul Hurst as well as the fitness and so far I haven't seen any improvement in any of those.

At the end of the you can't get chickens to lay eggs when you want one, but unlike this crappy squad, you can always eat it! Pay em off

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 167
chipsandgravy
January 24, 2021, 6:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,597
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease

Dear Chips,

Points raised, 1/ Why were Mansfield a decent team ? Their league position prior to the arrival of Clough would not suggest so !
                       2/ Anybody but Hurst !
                       3/ You know that the chickens are not my department !

PS, Please tell me that you are not happy with that shower of excrement yesterday, I recall many a time under Hurst's previous tenure that you would quite happily have shot him on the spot ! (Think Chester away) !

Have a lovely evening, Sir Matt  

1. There current form would suggest they were a decent team just not playing to there potential. Clough has had the right effect. Upshot is they have better players.
2. Cop-out!
Ps. Of course not. There are times when I could have shot all our recent managers but at least I was there at Chester!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 167
Sir Matt Tease
January 24, 2021, 6:23pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +282
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from chipsandgravy

1. There current form would suggest they were a decent team just not playing to there potential. Clough has had the right effect. Upshot is they have better players.
2. Cop-out!
Ps. Of course not. There are times when I could have shot all our recent managers but at least I was there at Chester!!!!

More fool you !

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 167
chipsandgravy
January 24, 2021, 6:37pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,597
Gold Stars: 37

More fool you !

Always easy from the comfort of your armchair!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 167
DB
January 24, 2021, 6:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Why is we play a team who have sacked their manager,  up their game.
We Don't
Why is it a team has a 'bounce' for a new manager.
We don't
Why is it when a team goes down to 10 men they gel.
We don't
Why is it teams pull out the stops for a local Derby
We don't ( even turn up)

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 167
lee65
January 24, 2021, 6:47pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,483
Gold Stars: 10
At least we scored 2 goals at Chester, and still got one point  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 167
MarinerWY
January 24, 2021, 6:50pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
I refrained from commenting on Hurst's reaction to yesterday's debacle in order to give myself time to calm down. Having ruminated overnight I would like to make the following points.

Many on here were pleased with Hurst's response and stated that he was furious, showed passion, went nuclear etc etc. Is it just me, but I personally don't think her went far enough. It was the same old  monotone Hurst interview but using words of displeasure.

I don't get this. Hurst has quite a monotone, dour voice. That isnt going to change. It's the content of what he says, and I dont think the fact he didn't stamp his feet and shout a lot means he wasnt necessarily harsh, passionate and blunt.

He directly said that people need to consider their futures in football. He said he was embarrassed and didn't want to be associated with the performance. He said that people had failed the most basic requirement of showing fight, and said he'd have certain Scunny players over them all day long.

So he didn't say it in an animated, charismatic way. That's not his personality. But I'm more interested in substance than cheap charisma: after all, Holloway could talk the talk and say a lot of nothing in a 'characterful way'. So could Bignot, I remember.

Some people just dont like Hurst and anything he does wont be right by them tbh. I thought he spoke much more passionately than he'd allowed himself to in his last tenure here, and I think it was needed.
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 167
17 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.