4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
January 23, 2021, 3:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
I've cut the players some slack before now (not sure why — maybe because we all know the issues stem from events that have happened off the pitch) but today's the first time I felt like turning on them.

Too many of them — no, just about all of them — looked like they were going through the motions, totally oblivious that it was a local derby and that thousands of Town fans were watching.

One of the biggest games in our recent history and we played it like it was a pre-season friendly.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 10 - 33
Mariner93er
January 23, 2021, 3:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,720
Gold Stars: 28
We're copulated, down, no chance of survival. intercourse me, I want to grasp at straws but there's nothing to grasp at. Even the players I thought were dependable have become terrible - Hendrie's chin doesn't lift from his chest, maybe he knows as well as the rest of is that we're relegated.

My god I wish I didn't care, could just walk away from this shower of excrement that's constantly served up. It's like paying a tenner every week to get kicked in the balls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 33
forza ivano
January 23, 2021, 3:31pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Mariner93er
We're copulated, down, no chance of survival. intercourse me, I want to grasp at straws but there's nothing to grasp at. Even the players I thought were dependable have become terrible - Hendrie's chin doesn't lift from his chest, maybe he knows as well as the rest of is that we're relegated.

My god I wish I didn't care, could just walk away from this shower of excrement that's constantly served up. It's like paying a tenner every week to get kicked in the balls.

you've summed it up perfectly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 33
headingly_mariner
January 23, 2021, 3:35pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Just heard Hurst’s interview, one of the only times I’ve heard him hammer the players publicly.

Hopefully we will see a reaction on Tuesday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 33
Bigdog
January 23, 2021, 3:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Can only look forward after that horror show. A poor Scunthorpe side had to do nothing to win comfortably. Players culpable and Hurst too with that starting eleven. So where do we go now? Which players can we rely on and what do we need to get to 50 points? I don't know what budget we've got left but I'll try to create my own shopping list in order of importance.

First off all I think that we're not going to pick up points with only two in midfield, so a midfield three with four at the back, two wide men and one up top supported by one of the midfield and the two wide men.

With Max, Morais, Scannell and Williams, out wide we're covered, so new width not needed.

We don't need a right back and I hope Habergham's match fitness comes back quickly, I'm trusting Hurst on this one, although I'm not entirely convinced.

So that leaves us with the spine of the team.

Priority One

A mobile forward who can hold the ball up and has got a goal or two in him. I don't like the way we play when Hanson is in the team but he would be a good option to come off the bench. The other forwards are useless. If we could ship them out to get a second forward in, that would be great, but I can't see that happening.

Priority Two

Centre midfield. We need two, one to do Rose's job better in front of the back four, and one to play off the new striker. I don't mind either Bennett or Williams in that role and they may flourish with better players around them, so main midfield priority is a decent quality aggressive, mobile breaker up of play as a foil for Matete who was impressive today, but a better no 10 would be welcome too.

Priority Three

A centre half. I thought the new lad did ok today in his first game for a new club. Added some athleticism. I think we need to stop thinking that Waterfall and Pollock are decent at this level, they're both culpable for our shocking defensive record, not completely but still culpable. Nothing to lose at this point, so if I was Hurst I'd go for a completely new centre half pairing with Waterfall and Pollock as back ups.

Priority Four

A new keeper in on loan not getting games much higher up the pyramid. With Macca's form, it's a calculated risk worth taking. We're conceding so many goals, let's have a clear out of the spine at the back.

If we're still in the market for four or five, that's where I'd spend the money..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 33
toontown
January 23, 2021, 4:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Steve Richards

Bin Rose & Williams you are having a laugh by far our most creative players on the pitch today!

Williams has 1 good game in 6. Achieved nothing today.

Rose is a meh  player. OK if the game is going well to tick over possession but no real creativity, slow, immobile and some right clangers dropped this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 33
Madeleymariner
January 23, 2021, 4:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,047
Gold Stars: 49
3 of Roses first 4 contributions were fouls. Williams gave it ago and even put a couple of tackles in, but not what we need right now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
Hagrid
January 23, 2021, 4:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,386
Gold Stars: 528
Quoted from Steve Richards

Bin Rose & Williams you are having a laugh by far our most creative players on the pitch today!

They’re both useless
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 33
FishOutOfWater
January 23, 2021, 4:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from toontown

Williams has 1 good game in 6. Achieved nothing today.

Rose is a meh  player. OK if the game is going well to tick over possession but no real creativity, slow, immobile and some right clangers dropped this season.

Tom Newey was singing Rose's praises but I doubt the player we're seeing is the same one he remembers playing with

I've not seen anything from him this season that gives me any confidence he will achieve anything for us
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 33
TownSNAFU5
January 23, 2021, 4:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,851
Gold Stars: 42
“We played like it was a pre-season game, not a local derby against one of our main rivals, and with many Town fans watching”.

Would this be the ONLY pre-season game?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.