Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Most embarrassing GTFC moments Poll
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 214 Guests

Most Embarrassing GTFC Moment
Holloway (darts/covid fine) (4 votes)
3.60%
'That' fans forum (34 votes)
30.63%
Chairman's deconstruction of a child’s flag (4 votes)
3.60%
Braintree 5 Grimsby 0 (9 votes)
8.11%
Burton away (9 votes)
8.11%
Board meeting with a convicted fraudster to potentially invest £1m (46 votes)
41.44%
Sacking Mighty Mariner (5 votes)
4.50%
111 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll
Voting in this poll has ended.

Most embarrassing GTFC moments Poll

This thread currently has 3,123 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
wuffing
January 21, 2021, 7:01am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +788
Gold Stars: 35
Faragegate!

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 16
Son of Cod
January 21, 2021, 9:40am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.94
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,323
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from wuffing
Faragegate!

Yep, came here to say that. Easily Farage. Whether you're a tory gammon or a leftie snowflake shouldn't be relevant here. Football clubs shouldn't be aligning themselves politically, especially not with racist slugs like Farage.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 16
Yoda
January 21, 2021, 10:18am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +4 / -20
Approval: -2,975
Gold Stars: 65
Don’t forget the alleged secret recording in the car that was leaked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 16
diehardmariner
January 21, 2021, 10:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,095
Gold Stars: 520
Quoted from pontoon442
Don't forget Slade's team talk on the pitch at Lincoln, what a disgrace, team spirit went straight out of the window that day for the rest of the season, cost us promotion

Oddly, I've always thought it was more down to the January transfer dealings but looking the on the records that's not the case at all. Just 7 points dropped from a maximum of 24 from the start of Feb to the Lincoln game (25th March), then (including the Lincoln game) we dropped 14 points from the 24 available until the end of the season, including a crippling four draws in the final five games.  In the end we finished 3 points behind 3rd place Leyton Orient with a superior goal difference.

I think my memory definitely erased how bad the collapse was in the final straight.  

Going back further, January itself wasn't great either.  Just 5 points picked up from the final 18.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 16
Bristol Mariner
January 22, 2021, 1:14pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
close the the top.....one day to go.

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 16
Poojah
January 22, 2021, 1:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,151
Gold Stars: 1,490
Quoted from diehardmariner

Oddly, I've always thought it was more down to the January transfer dealings but looking the on the records that's not the case at all. Just 7 points dropped from a maximum of 24 from the start of Feb to the Lincoln game (25th March), then (including the Lincoln game) we dropped 14 points from the 24 available until the end of the season, including a crippling four draws in the final five games.  In the end we finished 3 points behind 3rd place Leyton Orient with a superior goal difference.

I think my memory definitely erased how bad the collapse was in the final straight.  

Going back further, January itself wasn't great either.  Just 5 points picked up from the final 18.

I think this is one of those instances where stats can be a little misleading. In the 7 games after Lincoln we played Carlisle (champions), Leyton Orient (promoted), Cheltenham (promoted) and Northampton (promoted).

There's no doubting it was a tough run in, and we only lost once, away to a Michael Bridges inspired Carlisle. Dropped points against Shrewsbury and Macclesfield weren't great, but a combination of things - Joe Hart, pressure in general, and losing Rob Jones half-way through the first half at Moss Rose to go and witness the birth of his child are also mitigating circumstances to a degree.

This is in no way intended as a defence of the eggman, I just don't think the half-time flip chart was that significant a factor in our failure to win promotion that season.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
Bristol Mariner
January 23, 2021, 8:37pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Fenty and May win....

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Most embarrassing GTFC moments Poll

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.