Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Has a Grimsby Town GK ever done this?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 264 Guests

Has a Grimsby Town GK ever done this?

This thread currently has 3,256 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
crusty ole pie
January 20, 2021, 2:39pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,337
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from Poojah
I seem to recall my old man telling me the story of a Town keeper scoring against a foreign team in a friendly in the 50's or 60's; can't remember much more than that though. Macca once came particularly close late on in our first League Cup game back in the league at Derby.

Incidentally, last night's goal scorer, Tom King, may be remembered as the young keeper ruthlessly trolled by Town fans in the second leg of the play-offs at Braintree. He looked genuinely flustered and made an absolute hash of coming for Marcus Marshall's deep free-kick into the box for Bogle's winner - I think it got to him. A small part in Town folklore and a reminder of the impact fans can have on games. Decent keeper though.

My dad took me to house of a former town keeper in the 60s and he told us a story of scoring for town with a drop kick with a real football
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 29
cannylad68
January 20, 2021, 3:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
I remember a foreign team, I think from Prague, playing a midweek night match, on the first occasion of floodlights at Blundell Park.

Orange programme for that match.

Malcolm White was in goal for Town, came dashing out of his goal to collect the Prague goalkeepers kick, only to see it sail over his head into the goal.

I think I getyourfactsright.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 29
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 20, 2021, 3:25pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from cannylad68
I remember a foreign team, I think from Prague, playing a midweek night match, on the first occasion of floodlights at Blundell Park.

Malcolm White was in goal for Town, came dashing out of his goal to collect the Prague goalkeepers kick, only to see it sail over his head into the goal.

Spot on. I think it was Dukla Prague. It was not an especially windy night at BP as I remember it. Just a giant drop kick. Poor old Malcolm White was a big lad but he was done by the bounce.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 29
BobbyCummingsTackle
January 20, 2021, 3:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,196
Gold Stars: 291
All I want for Christmas is a Dukla Prague away kit.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 29
Mayaman
January 20, 2021, 3:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,385
Gold Stars: 73
I think Beasant did.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 29
arryarryarry
January 20, 2021, 3:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Was it a goal kick or a free kick? If it was a goal kick it would be disallowed wouldn’t it unless someone touched it on the way in? In that case the GK could not claim the goal.

You can score direct from a goal kick in the oppositions goal but funnily enough you cannot score an own goal

Law 16
A goal may be scored directly from a goal kick, but only against the opposing team; if the ball directly enters the kicker’s goal a corner kick is awarded to the opponents if the ball left the penalty area.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 29
Poojah
January 20, 2021, 4:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,428
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from cannylad68

Thanks for that, sounds like the story I was told. It's been about 28 years since it was last recounted to me, hence the sketchy and slightly incorrect details.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 29
Les Brechin
January 20, 2021, 4:12pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174

Classic.

[youtube]na12OyJEgJ8[/youtube]

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 29
DB
January 20, 2021, 4:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,975
Gold Stars: 386

Only 339 days to!

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 29
golfer
January 20, 2021, 4:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from Poojah
I seem to recall my old man telling me the story of a Town keeper scoring against a foreign team in a friendly in the 50's or 60's; can't remember much more than that though. Macca once came particularly close late on in our first League Cup game back in the league at Derby.

Incidentally, last night's goal scorer, Tom King, may be remembered as the young keeper ruthlessly trolled by Town fans in the second leg of the play-offs at Braintree. He looked genuinely flustered and made an absolute hash of coming for Marcus Marshall's deep free-kick into the box for Bogle's winner - I think it got to him. A small part in Town folklore and a reminder of the impact fans can have on games. Decent keeper though.

I saw it - it was a night match and i believe Malcom White was our keeper - not sure but I think it ended up  2 - 2
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Has a Grimsby Town GK ever done this?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.