ginnywings
January 20, 2021, 10:34am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from male private Nale

And what calibre of signings are you expecting us to make ? We will be signing similar as has been proved in the first two..

Or are you expecting Podge, Bogle and Toto?

Two of those were not exactly met with glee were they? Toto was a free agent, picked up by Southport, for whom he played less than 20 games before he came here. Amond came from Morecambe with a modest scoring record.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
Abdul19
January 20, 2021, 11:08am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Nsiala had a really good game in a classic 0-0 at home to Southport a few months before, so I think it was well received IIRC.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
ginnywings
January 20, 2021, 11:36am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Abdul19
Nsiala had a really good game in a classic 0-0 at home to Southport a few months before, so I think it was well received IIRC.

Yeah, fair enough, but he wasn't exactly a well known, experienced centre back.

I think people are looking at Barrow making more signings than us and wondering why. We could make more signings if we just took players that are available. Hurst won't do that unless he thinks they are better than what we have, either in ability, attitude, or hopefully both. There is no guarantee the Barrow signings will make them significantly better, whereas I believe that the two we have so far recruited will.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
pontoonlew
January 20, 2021, 11:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
The fact that Barrow are able to make quality signings despite their position in the league takes away the excuse people are making for us not making decent signings.

We really need to get a shift on ourselves, it's vital we have a forward or 2 in ASAP.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
ginnywings
January 20, 2021, 11:46am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from 872[b
]The fact that Barrow are able to make quality signings[/b] despite their position in the league takes away the excuse people are making for us not making decent signings.

We really need to get a shift on ourselves, it's vital we have a forward or 2 in ASAP.

Think that's the crux of it though. Are they quality signings, or just signings?

Devitt can be a very good player, but he can also be anonymous.

I think the fact we are not making "quality" signings is because there aren't that many out there better than we have who want to come here. There will be some, but all teams will be chasing the best ones. Movement usually gets freed up as the month progresses. Our next opponents are also chasing an elusive striker without much success at the moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
Mariner93er
January 20, 2021, 11:57am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,674
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from pontoonlew
The fact that Barrow are able to make quality signings despite their position in the league takes away the excuse people are making for us not making decent signings.

They’re not exactly ‘quality’ are they. They’re players that haven’t been able to get games at other teams in league 2. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing, with a certain manager and team players excel, but there’s just as much chance they won’t have such an impact.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
diehardmariner
January 20, 2021, 11:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,063
Gold Stars: 518
I think Devitt was consistently Carlisle's best player for a couple of seasons wasn't he?  Even in a wingback formation which I honestly couldn't see him playing in based on his appearances for us.

Fair enough he's done little since leaving Carlisle but it's been such a disjointed last 12 months, I'm not sure how much you can really take that into account.  Stop, start, stop...if a player has fallen out of favour or struggled with a knock during that period or before, it's a quite lengthy spell of disruption.

Second spell here was a disappointment but he looked incredibly unfit.  Wasn't he recovering from glandular fever or something?  Actually think he's a decent signing for Barrow.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 26
Nutsy
January 20, 2021, 12:04pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +134
Gold Stars: 5
What we need to remember is that Barrow is a completely different team and club to us.

They have different priorities and manager.

As has been said we have tried signing loads of players (as er Holloway etc) and it didn't work for us - I admit a lot of them were rough diamonds, but no one can deny that Rose, Bennett and Mohsni should have/ should be performing way better than they have been; Bennett has  picked up as of late.

What we need now is key players rather than squad members - this new CB, for example, is quick, big and has played in L2/L1.

We now need a CM who can organise the midfield and break up play - someone who will develop Hewittt, Clifton Spokes etc, and who might provide competition to get Rose to up his game.

A striker is also required, but I have absolute faith Hurst will identify the sort of layer we need - I mean it's pretty simple.. a striker that can kick the ball into the back of the net  

Anyway that's my thoughts for what they're worth ..!

in Hurst we trust..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
pontoonlew
January 20, 2021, 12:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
Quoted from Mariner93er

They’re not exactly ‘quality’ are they. They’re players that haven’t been able to get games at other teams in league 2. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing, with a certain manager and team players excel, but there’s just as much chance they won’t have such an impact.

If we'd made these signings we'd all be pretty pleased and based on previous form, 2 of them would definitely improve our squad.

So the point remains, if we fail to sign decent players in January, not only will we go down but we'll not be able to use the 'nobody wanted to come here' excuse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 26
RichMariner
January 20, 2021, 12:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
The thing I like about Hurst most is his ability to bring in players who have the right balance of experience and attitude.

Both Habergham and Menayesse have backstories that make them want to play and prove to themselves - if no one else - that they are good enough and worthy enough of being FL players.

It's a bit different from bringing a young, unexposed kid in from Bristol City because you've got a mate there who says he's good. He might be brilliant, but if he doesn't fit your system, your philosophy or your culture, he's not going to shine.

Holloway recruited a bunch of individuals. Not even a darts tournament could get them to gel on the pitch.

Hurst seems more methodical and attentive to the mental side of the game. He's not without his faults, but he's a good judge of character. I remember questioning his decision to release Aswad Thomas and Scott Nielsen when, on their day, they were match winners.

12 months later we'd won promotion. Not saying they were bad apples but we knew there was nothing wrong with their footballing abilities. Hurst obviously didn't think that was enough.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 19 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Devitt to Barrow

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.